• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco Ent. Reveals Tales of Berseria PS4, PS3 Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ani12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Not the same part at all. It's where spoiler[Milla is injured, and Jude takes her to his parents' clinic]. You have solo Jude for a while, including a boss fight, until you get to spoiler[the point where Leia joins up].

Nowhere in Jude's story are you forced to use Milla, because at the point you mention, Jude has his own story going on.

Oh, that part. spoiler[Well, she can't exactly walk at that point, unless you wanted to play as her riding that horse or have her crawl all the way to Leronde or roll around in the wheelchair. ^^;]
god45

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Not the same part at all. It's where spoiler[Milla is injured, and Jude takes her to his parents' clinic]. You have solo Jude for a while, including a boss fight, until you get to spoiler[the point where Leia joins up].

Nowhere in Jude's story are you forced to use Milla, because at the point you mention, Jude has his own story going on.

Oh, that part. spoiler[Well, she can't exactly walk at that point, unless you wanted to play as her riding that horse or have her crawl all the way to Leronde or roll around in the wheelchair. ^^;]
I have to agree with this I mean whats stoping tales of berseria form doing the same thing that why I think her agrument is pretty weak
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
*facepalms*

My argument is that way back on page 1, someone was upset that they have to play as a female character. I countered that I'm tired of having to play as a male character, so everything is even. Someone else countered with Xillia, so it's "already been done", which really doesn't work, since there were 2 routes, and Milla's wasn't even a full route of her.

My ENTIRE ARGUMENT is AGAINST people unhappy that it's a female protag.
god45

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
*facepalms*

My argument is that way back on page 1, someone was upset that they have to play as a female character. I countered that I'm tired of having to play as a male character, so everything is even. Someone else countered with Xillia, so it's "already been done", which really doesn't work, since there were 2 routes, and Milla's wasn't even a full route of her.

My ENTIRE ARGUMENT is AGAINST people unhappy that it's a female protag.
am not against the idea of a female protag because it worked well with xillia with Milla what I am against is that they learned nothing form what xillia had you can still make a female MC but give others an choice so they can play as a male not everyone wants to play as a girl just like how everyone dose not want to play as a boy so there everything is even BUT nope namco is trying to make social justice warriors happy and ignore everyone else ver sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Most RPGs don't have a story that can be written with either gender in mind, and those that do generally have silent protagonists. Tales has never had those, they've always had characters with solid backstories and personalities. Variable gender characters don't work for them.
god45

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Most RPGs don't have a story that can be written with either gender in mind, and those that do generally have silent protagonists. Tales has never had those, they've always had characters with solid backstories and personalities. Variable gender characters don't work for them.
sure they can it workd with xillia really well as well as there silent protag thing, if they can do that well they can do this well,ether way I plan to skip this game and just wait for the next one, I am already skiping tales of zestiria becasue I heard there is a lot of yaoi undertone and I am no fan of that, persona 5 will meet they needs I want, lately tales has bean really bad I miss how the old games used to be and xillia was able to bring back that feeling, it sucks were getting midcore games Crying or Very sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Xillia isn't the same as what I'm talking about. Each character had a different story, and both co-existed with the other. Neither Jude nor Milla are silent protagonists, either.

What I'm talking about, is a character where, right at the start of the game, the player chooses what gender they want to play. Persona 3 tried it with the portable version, and they basically had to rework the entire game to make it work, and it still felt "off." But that's done where the MC is a silent protagonist, which the Tales games don't do.

It works when the MC is meant to represent you. But it doesn't work when you're more "guiding" a party like in Tales games. You have to have a set gender for the characters, and I'm glad we finally get a solo female protagonist.
god45

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Xillia isn't the same as what I'm talking about. Each character had a different story, and both co-existed with the other. Neither Jude nor Milla are silent protagonists, either.

What I'm talking about, is a character where, right at the start of the game, the player chooses what gender they want to play. Persona 3 tried it with the portable version, and they basically had to rework the entire game to make it work, and it still felt "off." But that's done where the MC is a silent protagonist, which the Tales games don't do.

It works when the MC is meant to represent you. But it doesn't work when you're more "guiding" a party like in Tales games. You have to have a set gender for the characters, and I'm glad we finally get a solo female protagonist.
huh xillia 2 ? had I silent protagonist is how could you forget that and because of that ludger is my fave protagonists me I not really feeling the solo female protagonist since they could have easily done the two gender thing but I other Jprgs that are coming so no real big lose for me
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I have always loved playing female characters. They are usually much better to look at than the standard male characters.

But I have to agree. It is sort of karma. We just had the Final Fantasy argument a little while ago. Sort of a bro fest if I remember right. So bring on the female characters, it is only fair.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
I'm getting a very strong *knee-jerk reaction* vibe from this announcement.

After all the moaning that the 'main heroine' from Zestiria got shafted. We now have Berseria, a game with an entirely solo female protagonist. The detective in me finds this a highly dubious coincidence.

Not that I'm complaining, if she turns out to be an interesting lead I'm all for it. But you know what they say, "give people an inch".......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3