• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I see right now is the pacing, so hopefully things will pick up next episode. I really like the drastic contrast between nice Albedo and yandere albedo, not so much for Cocytus wanting to be called uncle though. Personally I think less time could have been spent watching the guardians fawn over Momonga. From my point of view, Demiurge looks kind of suspicious. We'll see how that works out.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
A recurring character recurringly depicted crossdressing. Dropping this anime. Not that I have anything against crossdressing, but I now refuse to follow this anime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
That bit with the catfight...girls, girls, he doesn't have a dick!! He's a giant skeleton (even said himself his libido is gone, along with his hunger, thirst and need for sleep)! I don't think he could give you babies if he wanted to. Which is too bad; when the demon guys were discussing heirs I was thinking how much fun that would be...domestic comedy with "evil" skeleton guy (who's secretly nice), his two wives, their little...evil?...demon babies, and all their demon servant uncles and aunties as nannies. Full House in a evil-aligned video game guild! Very Happy

Then they cut to Momonga literally noting his lack of libido and I realized that this would not be that kind of show. Darn. I'll take this show as it is, but seeing all the harem antics have already gotten old. What's the point of shipping anything when the protagonist isn't interested?
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
A recurring character recurringly depicted crossdressing. Dropping this anime. Not that I have anything against crossdressing, but I now refuse to follow this anime.

Why that, then?
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

Good bye and good riddance.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
So the joke is that he's a loser virgin irl? Is it another one of those? It sounds like another one of those.

I don't really think this is really a 'spoiler' since its not really that important but ill tag it anyway but spoiler[I've read a bit of the LN and while I don't know if he's a virgin he's not a 'loser', he's just incredibly plain and boring. he has a normal job, but no family or relatives, he's not miserable... but he isnt exactly a fun person either]

I don't think the spoiler tag is necessary, I THOUGHT Momonga said that being a functioning member of society was one of the requirements for being in the guild in the first place. (ie. no hikikomori) Was I wrong on that?

Also, I'm REALLY interested to see if there are (as Momonga wondered) other players in the game world. Like "Dveil is a Part Timer", that would certainly liven things up. But I think the pace for the first 2 episodes works. Episode 1 was obviously an introduction episode that (IMO) doesn't overstay its welcome. Altho Episode 2 does drag at points, I think it does a good job of establishing the current "guild" and who remains. (also, from a story perspective I think its appropriate that there's a few "flat" spots that leave the viewer to wonder "what now?" in the same way Momonga obviously is)

The other thing I find interesting in episode 2 is the implications about how the minions view Momonga being there. I can understand gripes about wish fulfillment and all that, but a good point IS raised that he IS the one guy (from the entire guild) that stayed through the end. I didn't think the NPCs would notice that "shift" but apparently they did based on their dialogue (I wonder if we'll ever get some kind of explanation about that). I also think its interesting how you have character like Demiurge that are applying that to the logical next step of "Momonga stayed, BUT he COULD leave at any time" and trying to plan accordingly. All in all, I'm curious to see where this one goes.

(All things considered, I was also SURPRISED that Shalltear and Albedo agreed to terms where they would BOTH be Momonga's wives and it was more a question of who has seniority, that's unusual)
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
^^Goodbye and good riddance to you too. Laughing

danpmss wrote:
Why that, then?

Because I don't see the point of writing it into the story and because of the chance that the author from the LNs ends up taking a metaphorical dump on his readers and then tries to pass it off as "art".
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
I think the point is simply that this is a video game, and people like to play with gender in video games, whether by designing a NPC that crossdresses or by playing as an opposite gendered character avatar within a game. Games give people a safe and fun place to play with all kinds of identity--gender, power levels, aligning with the "dark side", making NPCs who are in love with your character, playing as an evil skeleton lich overlord, etc.

I loved the fact that the two rivals agreed to share the MC, but as I said before, he probably won't take him up on it, which will just make their fawning devotion tiresome.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
^^Goodbye and good riddance to you too. Laughing

danpmss wrote:
Why that, then?

Because I don't see the point of writing it into the story and because of the chance that the author from the LNs ends up taking a metaphorical dump on his readers and then tries to pass it off as "art".

The only thing that's a dump here is how little reason you need to drop an anime. Not that it really matters since you didn't seem to like it in the first place.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I never said that I didn't like the first two episodes. I was just alienated when the crossdressing reveal was made. I guess you can jokingly say that I dumped the franchise before it dumped me. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
While I don't agree with the reasoning, either, if Hyperdrve decides that a crossdressing character being present is enough of a reason to drop the show, then it's his/her prerogative. He/she wasn't being nasty to anyone in saying it, so there's no excuse for being nasty back.

And now back to our regularly-scheduled discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay, screw this, I'm not gonna spend any more time fighting with my kindle over quotes.

Regarding dude's skeleton body having no libido, hence no heirs and no shipping fun - totally. In fact, honestly, now that it's out, let's get through that plot point asap and have him tell them no, or have him get his boy bits fixed, or something, because it felt so sterile... Also, no Uncle Cocytus Crying or Very sad

Regarding Demiurge - the guy's name alone suggests a betrayal to come, and he was acting sketch as hell in both episodes. I'd be shocked if not one of these servants eventually grew out of their programming and betrayed Momonga, and Demiurge is either a hell of a front-runner or a hell of a red herring. We've already seen that they can act in ways outside of their programming (Shalltear also deciding to be in love/lust with him, Demiurge showing up in random places) so I'm wondering how far that will go.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Ykw, I admit I was a little rude in my comments. I apologize.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Actually, Mare said that he was dressed like that because one of the players said that that was what he was. I'm not sure if the translation needs another once over, but it seems like he might not have a gender as he said that he was "supposed" to be a boy. That was an odd bit. Maybe a lot of the former players enjoyed the NPCs to have a deceiving appearance.

Not "a lot of the former players." What they specifically said was that the goth vampire Shalltear was created by a PC, Peroroncino, who was the younger brother of the PC, Bukubukuchagama, who created the fraternal twins Mare and Aura.

They explicitly state that the quarrels between Shalltear and Aura represents how the brother and sister were always fighting. Shalltear is obviously the personification of all of Peroroncino's fetishes. Aura is a type of normative character for Bukubukuchagama, based on her. Mare's submissive nature, especially towards his sister Aura, is stated to be a reflection of how Bukubukuchagama felt that her younger brother should be respectful towards her as the older sister. His cross-dressing is partially reflective of the idea that cross-dressing in a boy represents submissiveness, being a "sissy."

Of course, all the NPC characters were designed without agency by their various creators and should be expected to reflect stereotypes or fetishes. It only really becomes disturbing when the NPCs suddenly become (apparently) sentient. I think that the series looks like it's going to deal with that as an issue-- certainly Momonga already has some concerns about that.

Without the NPC issue and treating it appropriately, Mare would be another stereotypical character denied agency, but so far this seems more promising than that.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
^^ Agreed. I'm more than willing to let it play out. No one else has to be, obvs, but well put. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16