• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: IDOLM@STER (Episodes 1-25 Streaming)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

That ones not to bad but still kind of jerky and laborious. I also like Sakuga plenty, I just don't see iDOLM@STERs as anything to write home about whatsoever in that regard. Even in the movie it's just not very good sakuga. I'll take Love Live's sleek and smooth look over the jerky repetitive motions of iDOLM@STER if I have to make a choice on music anime to watch. Love Lives art style also doesn't look as washed out and low detail as iDOLM@STER anime's either.

There are plenty of washed out and low detail scenes in the first season of Love Live too. I think comparing the two shows like this does nobody any favors, more importantly.

Quote:
For me the choice is just obvious and it seems like the Love Live staff is the actual one that gave way more of a damn then they really needed if I had to pick between the two. I wonder if the fixation people have with iDOLM@STER performances animation has more to do with it being the first one a lot of people really saw because I'm just not seeing the love so much as the blatant cost cutting measures. Like who ends a concert in a music anime on a still frame pan.

I think you need to talk to these animators and see what they actually worked on. My impression from the Anim@s animators are probably too personal to share here but let's just say that before Love Live S1, there was not much of Love Live to love in the first place, because there weren't all that much of it at all. Most people did not know what it was at the time. At the least you can credit the animation team for being professional and doing a good job tackling something they didn't know much about going into it.

For IDOLM@STER TV, the love comes through in the way not only how things are animated, but it's in the design, the writing, the attention to detail, the fandom lore, and just how much effort was put into putting the show together above and beyond the average. It also extends to the background stories some of the creators shared over time. The doujinshi the animation team created, stuff like that. There was already an established fan base in Japan for IDOLM@STER by the time the anime was in production, and more than a few of those fans probably had a chip on their shoulders given how things were turning out at the time.

Quote:
I see it as the clearest difference between A-1 then and A-1 now which is way more blatantly and unabashedly a commercial studio.

I think you must be confusing A-1 with some non-profit organization. A-1 was established by Aniplex and had a very clear purpose from the start. It was as "commercial" as you can get from the get go, and the studio was building up its staff and pipeline to increase its production capacity over time. Their earlier works were less ambitious, but now they have the capacity to do something like Cindderella Girls and turn around to make Granblue Fantasy, for example...

Sunrise is way "worse" in that regard.

What's ironic is that I think you are right in that how IDOLM@STER TV was largely created in 2011-12, during a time when A-1 did not have all the money and resources they have today, so in order to produce the anime they relied on the effort of a wide cast of animators, giving it the characteristic mentioned in the review. Which is why Cinderella Girls look much more "consistent" due to having more dedicated resources on the production.

Quote:
I found the loss in character design quality and detail to the CG animation to not be quite as bad as what this original series lost between it's source and the originals though. It's like A-1 just took the franchise art style and simplified it to fit their cost cutting mass production model.

I really have three minds on this comment but they all agree that you need to stop confusing your own biases with what is objectively good? If you know anything about the character design history of IM@S over the years, you might realize what was accomplished in the IM@S anime is, actually, quite like Space Dandy and how its design elements change over each episode. I guess that sort of background is missing in this review but I guess I can't fault people not knowing how many character designers had a hand in this franchise.

Quote:
Anyway the reviewers bias is clear and demonstrable here I think. He couldn't wait to claw into the Love Live films apparent flaws which take up the bulk of the tone of that review and what he talks about (again he barely even mentions anything about the cast or really anything that isn't some sort of dig at it's apparently superfluous merit and existence and how it's in his eyes so fundamentally flawed) and yet with this he's tripping over himself to praise it and barely mentions any of the IMO obvious shortcomings in the show. Also the close proximity of the two reviews does not go unnoticed here either. It's all well and good and obvious personal preference, just pretty blatant how everything he mentions with the Love Live movie has some sort of negative spin and framing to it like not one single aspect of the film isn't diminished by some ultra specific aspect of execution in his eyes, while with this everything has some sort of positive spin or framing to it and that every single little thing is apparently accentuated and a showcase of the staffs apparent unconditional love and dedication to some sort of artistry or something like that. It's a tonal difference in approach this is highly noticeable to the point that I feel it bears commenting on.

Are you just butt hurt how one review thought the IDOLM@STER anime being better than Love Live anime, and how that fact subconsciously makes you question your own opinions and beliefs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3