• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't American Animation Outsourced To Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I cannot remember the name of the book or its author, but I do remember it being a one of those large, heavy hardcover books that had hundreds upon hundreds of pages.

It makes me wonder if there are a lot animation historians who really do think in that way: That they are resentful of anime to some extent or another and still view Japan as a country to outsource animation to rather than a source of domestically-made works.

Is it the "Drawing the Line: The Untold Story of the Animation Unions from Bosko to Bart Simpson"? That book is 440 pages thick. Of course there are other thick books that love to talk about animations produced in the West.

Probably Anime is not under their radar, so they didn't bother writing about it. I think those "historians" don't keep up to date with changes in animation industry and demographics. Their head is still stuck in the whatever era or subject matter that interests them. Basically they're in their own bubbles when they decided to write about history.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
The name sounded familiar, so I looked it up--I have read it, but it was long after the research project (which I did in 2004). I also looked up more animation history books available at Barnes & Noble, but I could not find it.

I definitely know what you mean about historians, archivists, and retro enthusiasts stuck in bubbles from a particular era and not realizing things have changed since. I've met some people who are into arcade gaming from the 80's and don't realize video game competitions are no longer about people taking turns at a machine for the highest score, for one.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

And having just posted the actual Thundercats opening, I sense a lit-tle teeny-weeny bit of artistic homage on Pixar's part. Shocked
(For those who want to do back-to-back comparisons.)
The Thundercats OP was animated by Masayuki and it has Tsuguyuki Kubo as its animation director. Imaishi, Akira Amemiya, and Yoh Yoshinari worked on the Battlesaurs opening with Pixar. Both openings were influenced by the Kanada style, named after Yoshinori Kanada. Kanada himself was influenced by Keiichiro Kimura's work on Tiger Mask.

They've been a number of outsourcing to Japan for D.C. and Marvel movies recently. Avengers Confidential is a big one off the top of my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

And having just posted the actual Thundercats opening, I sense a lit-tle teeny-weeny bit of artistic homage on Pixar's part. Shocked
(For those who want to do back-to-back comparisons.)
The Thundercats OP was animated by Masayuki and it has Tsuguyuki Kubo as its animation director. Imaishi, Akira Amemiya, and Yoh Yoshinari worked on the Battlesaurs opening with Pixar. Both openings were influenced by the Kanada style, named after Yoshinori Kanada. Kanada himself was influenced by Keiichiro Kimura's work on Tiger Mask.

They've been a number of outsourcing to Japan for D.C. and Marvel movies recently. Avengers Confidential is a big one off the top of my head.

Side note: If the original ThunderCats series looked as good as the opening, I probably would have enjoyed it more.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Sad state of affairs for anime. To expensive to make where money was, has moved on to other places where style and feel has changed it into something else.

I've fallen out of love of American made cartoons, since allot of the ones put on television with few exceptions are plain dumb, dumbed down, sometimes juvenile. I know a lot has changed, but sometimes haven't.

Stupid parent groups among others changed children's television to point where their treating kids either stupid or don't want go through trouble producing arguably expensive cartoon that no one will watch. Sad.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
During the 1980's and 90's,a number of Japanese companies did help out with American animation. I've often been of the view that it helped bring anime greater acceptance in America. If it weren't for shows like "Inspector Gadget,""C.O.P.S.""Rainbow Brite,"and shows like them,a lot of great anime wouldn't have even come to this country. It's a lot like putting sugar in bitter tasting medicine. It makes it easier to accept.
I hope that there are more Japanese-U.S. collaborations. I think that both American and Japanese animators are the best in the world. They may do well on their separate projects,but put them together,and you've got something really special. I'd like that,wouldn't you?
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Japanese animators lacks the time to make american shows and the man power. The best people are too busy doing their own stuff.

Okiura, Inoue, Nakamura, Nishio and the like don't look very interested in it. The anime industry is struggling to animate their own stuff to waste their time in something that others get credit for.

The studios desperate for work to keep them alive are the ones accepting those jobs, The Answer Studio, Telecom animation, TMS and the quality is below average.

America doesn't have the man power to produce those shows. CalArts can teach you how to animate for big budget movies but tv schedules and budgets are a very different beast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3