• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: GATE Season One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luc Langevin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Little after the beginning; I wished they better explained how they got to killing 60, 000 plus soldiers, because from those few eps… that’s crazy. I want to see how they got to that point.

Drawing from experience as an army cadet, for the most part, though, this story did a solid on depicting military. Every turn, I was like, “Yep, that’s exactly what would happen. Yeah, we would joke like that too.”

P.S. To all comments talking about the politics in the story. No, that’s EXACTLY how politics would act (in modern day). EXACTLY. I will dig up a list of RECENT incidences. I will. OH, I will prove your butt wrong.
Shgon Dunstan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Weirdly enjoyable... For all of it often pissing me off with it being blatant imperialist propaganda.

"Oh, but they aren't really all that bad"... That is kind of the point.

Japan just up and declares another world a part of itself, followed by all interaction with the locals(who they barely even knew anything about when they did, and frankly don't care in the first place) being purely along the lines of "what will best make you go alone with this peacefully... Because it's either that, or we kill the lot of you", and... That's just A-OK.

Their entire stated reason for wanting the resources in the first place is basically so that they can start a fight with the entire rest of the world, and... That's just A-OK.

"Oh, but don't worry natives. Their army isn't really here to kill you, but to help you get your carts out of the mud. It's that crazy evil emperor that is trying to make you fight them. Why, I'd assume that once your women get a good look at our hansom fighting men, they will be falling all over themselves for a piece of that." -_-
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This thread is on the old side at this point. We'll be having a fresh overall review for this series once the Limited Edition version is out (next month, maybe?), so let's save any further commentary on it for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3