• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Court Rejects Agency's Damage Claim Against Former Idol for Dating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
From a normal persons standpoint it's seems like a good decision that such a practice was ruled unjust, but from a business/legal standpoint these girls are in the wrong.
Well, obviously she wasn't wrong from a legal standpoint since the court ruled in her favor.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Dfens wrote:
From a normal persons standpoint it's seems like a good decision that such a practice was ruled unjust, but from a business/legal standpoint these girls are in the wrong.
Well, obviously she wasn't wrong from a legal standpoint since the court ruled in her favor.

This case was only about forcing her to pay restitution damages. She still lost her career. The whole legal thing about these cases is restitution, not changing or objecting to idol culture. While I also agree purity is part of an Idol's job, restitution is a petty lawsuit. These companies probably made more then the meager fine they are suing for. They got a nice return for their investment into her singing and dancing lessons.

-Stuart Smith
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Dating doesn't automatically mean a girl is still not "pure" and just what does that mean anyway? I certainly hope this girl's parents were fighting in her corner with her. No contract should suspend one's human rights. This will unlock the shackles from the necks and feet of a lot of these young girls as it should.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

Not when they are a minor, they can't control their hormones, the agency is in the wrong for enforcing these rules. It's not murder or rape where they know it is wrong and are justifiably wrong in society.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well I never got the whole idol dating thing in the first place its not like any of those idiot fan have a change to date an idol i the first place
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I find it a bit odd people are angry at the fans of the idols for things the company does/did.

When Nintendo killed the fanmade Chrono Trigger remake, we don't blame that on the fans no liking unofficial product, do we?

I myself am an idol fan and I had one go through that thing where she felt she had to apologize for wearing a ring (to make guys not hit on her when she's out!). I can see why these companies can be upset, but they're more to blame. The Talent industry in Japan is brutal.

In an anime sense, the Developers for Kancolle have no problem with foreigners playing their game. The Publisher denies access to anywhere outside Japan. Take my money! Let me play!

Publishers and Talent agencies in Japan are the real problem. Don't be hatin' the fans.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I find it a bit odd people are angry at the fans of the idols for things the company does/did.

When Nintendo killed the fanmade Chrono Trigger remake, we don't blame that on the fans no liking unofficial product, do we?

I myself am an idol fan and I had one go through that thing where she felt she had to apologize for wearing a ring (to make guys not hit on her when she's out!). I can see why these companies can be upset, but they're more to blame. The Talent industry in Japan is brutal.

In an anime sense, the Developers for Kancolle have no problem with foreigners playing their game. The Publisher denies access to anywhere outside Japan. Take my money! Let me play!

Publishers and Talent agencies in Japan are the real problem. Don't be hatin' the fans.

The fans (mainly the deranged ones) do encourage the tyranny in the idol industry where as in the cases of Kancolle and the Chrono Trigger remake are the publishers and developers' fault. Some just don't think idols are humans just like them and deserve the same protections and rights under the Japanese constitution, they act like they own their lives. Then you have some who like them for the wrong reasons, this also has lead to the lack of respect of idol's pursuit of happiness.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
the agencies don't gain anything personally from restricting idols from dating. They're just responding to the demand of the otaku fans.

Shouldn't we be more mad at the otaku and fujoshi fans for this, more than the agencies? If the otaku and fujoshis weren't so creepy about the personal lives of the idols, none of this would have happened.
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Not when they are a minor, they can't control their hormones, the agency is in the wrong for enforcing these rules. It's not murder or rape where they know it is wrong and are justifiably wrong in society.

Exactly. I think a lot of these kids sign these contracts before their hormones are in full swing. It wouldn't be much different than if a 10-year-old girl signed a contract to join an idol group, but there was a stipulation her chest must not grow bigger than an A-cup. How is she supposed to know what her body will want to do in the next 4 years?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
No, this is not right!! When you sign a contract, it is binding! She broke the law!

I'm not sure about Japanese law, but I'm pretty confident that breaking a contract isn't against the law. Unless the act in breaking the contract goes against the law itself.

kazenoyume wrote:
Excellent news. I hope this becomes a precedent. The culture of chastity in the idol industry needs to end.

This will no doubt change the idol industry in Japan, but I don't think it will change as much as you think it would.

While companies can no longer force an idol to remain "pure", they can still have clauses in their contracts that say they can be fired for not meeting the company's ethical standards. You actually have such things in the West. Like actors being fired from projects if they spoil a movie, or forcing actors to reimburse costs if they walked off a project.

In short, they can date whom they want, in public. But if they do something that's questionable, don't be surprised if they still get fired.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
No, this is not right!! When you sign a contract, it is binding! She broke the law!

I'm not sure about Japanese law, but I'm pretty confident that breaking a contract isn't against the law. Unless the act in breaking the contract goes against the law itself.

kazenoyume wrote:
Excellent news. I hope this becomes a precedent. The culture of chastity in the idol industry needs to end.

This will no doubt change the idol industry in Japan, but I don't think it will change as much as you think it would.

While companies can no longer force an idol to remain "pure", they can still have clauses in their contracts that say they can be fired for not meeting the company's ethical standards. You actually have such things in the West. Like actors being fired from projects if they spoil a movie, or forcing actors to reimburse costs if they walked off a project.

In short, they can date whom they want, in public. But if they do something that's questionable, don't be surprised if they still get fired.

You just can't compare purity clauses to reasonable, common sense clauses covering spreading company secrets (in which spreading spoilers by an actor or actress may entail) or walking off the job.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope that this leads to many, many changes in the Idol industry that in turn lead to a much more humane working environment. That judge was spot-on the money: those kinds of demands are just ridiculous. These are people, not machines.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Xavi_ wrote:
Is this inconsistency (in ruling) a good or a bad symptom about Japanese law-making? When two judges from the same court come to two opposite conclusions I interpret that as a big flaw in the system. Or is this a common occurrence?

There needs to be a good article by the each of the newspapers that covered two cases with different conclusions going into detail why the cases reached different outcomes and what conclusions can be drawn. As in real analysis drawing on the expertise of law professors in Japan.
margibso

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Thank God! Seriously these contracts are absurd. I hope this leads to end of this practice. Fanboys need to get over it. Ask them out yourself or let them go.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Males are held to the same standards. One famous case was when Mamoru Miyano revealed he knocked up a girl suddenly and was getting married. Fujoshi had an uproar and even wished his unborn child would be miscarried. Otaku or fujoshi make no difference.

-Stuart Smith

I really need to interject here. A lot of the fan reaction to the Miyano thing a few years back was revolting, definitely, but it's not comparable. Miyano's career didn't suffer at all. He is still one of the hottest names in the seiyuu industry and still has a massive legion of fans that adore him.
Meanwhile, if we look at what happened when there was controversy with a female seiyuu - Aya Hirano - for the horrible crime of 'having consensual sex', her fan base all shrank to a small percentage of what it was originally, her fans were burning her CDs and even merch of characters that she played, and she went from one of the most popular female seiyuu to one hardly anyone ever sees in anime credits these days and she -isn't even an idol-. So yeah, this is about gender, and don't try to pretend women arent affected far worse by it. Male idols may suffer the same bullshit and there are definitely some terrible instances of it but they never get dragged for it remotely as much.

Last edited by championferret on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5