• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2 BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
thought Marmaduke Scramble was a mess

Lol, now you've got me picturing a mob of Great Danes set loose on a single bowl of dog chow. Laughing

I agree PP2 was a trainwreck, even from a superficial standpoint of just figuring out what was going on. The storytelling was completely incoherent to me, but maybe that's partly because it managed to alienate me so from the early episodes that I found it hard to pay attention to the scattered plot points and sort them out in my head.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Let me just say (in the most honest, non-troll way possible) that I only saw the first two episodes and I thought they were surprisingly pretty awful. I'm honestly curious that this franchise can fall even further from that.
If by "first two episodes" you mean the first two episodes of the first season, then yours isn't that controversial an opinion - even a lot of the show's fans think that the first few episodes kinda suck. Personally I didn't think they were that bad, but the show definitely improves a lot as the character of Makishima becomes more prominent and the "sci-fi procedural" format starts giving way to an overarching conflict (probably around episode five or six).
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I meant the first season. The first episode has probably the single worst instance of "As you know" exposition and setup I've ever seen. I know that's not uncommon (especially in anime!), but just the way it was structured here just set me on edge. I just felt like, "No you are not going to introduce this world and this character to me this way, My mind is rejecting this".

And the my memories of episode two are kind of hazy. I think it involved a holographic animal mascot costume? Whatever it was, it kind of sealed the deal for me that this show just wasn't for me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
ubukata interviews also give him the leeway of being given very little time to write the show, which explain why the idea was good (mob mentality, etc...) but the execution awful; eh even says he was writing as episodes were airing, or even worse case, writing them as he was attending the voice recording sessions, which means he did not even have time to write in his "office".

Oh? That's kind of good to read, not that it excuses it but that's good to read because I agree some of the ideas were interesting but it was surprisingly messy even down to breaking too many of the rules and themes of S1, as mentioned in the review (even little things started snowballing like Dominators suddenly having ammo limits), and the new supporting cast (ie. not Akane and Ginoza) could have been interesting. So while I enjoyed some of it I can't really argue with the review.

The first season was utterly fantastic though.

Only thing I disagree with on with the review, is the dub, I thought the dub cast was great in S1 (the sub cast was great too), and this seems to be pretty common in most opinion comments I've read about the show's dub, and I thought the new voice cast additions were good so I think they would have done an equally good job with proper material. I also don't agree on the complaint made about Kate Oxley's Akane, I've liked her since the first season.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
At first, I accepted S2 for what it was, or what I thought it was: a cyber punk action anime. I knew from the reviews I'd read it wasn't going to be super deep or thought provoking but it could still be interesting and fun. And I liked it at the beginning, Akane was pretty much a bad ass, much more capable and less naive that in S1. I was happy, she then proceeded to be thwarted by absolutely everyone who was supposed to work with her, making it impossible for her to do anything resembling her job, specially the rookie girl who had a 180 degree turn from her previous personality in S1.

For me, the worst thing was the asinine conclusion and the villain reveal. He could have been very interesting, I liked the idea of him but when it is revealedspoiler[he was several people, and he was also the psychologist from S1, it made absolutely no sense. Why then was he helping Ginoza clean his hue, or giving him advice about Shogo? Why would he help at all? And why wasn´t he attacking then? Was he waiting for Shogo to finish his arc because it's bad manners for villains to interrupt one another? Did he not raliaze that if he attacked during Shogo's attack, he could have very well gotten away with his plan? Because everyone would be too busy with Shogo at the moment and no one was even paying attention to him. NO, it was because in S1, the psychologist was just that, a psychologist and while I appreciate the attempt to link both seasons, this was a really terrible way to do it. Also, while I have liked Tow Ubakata's work in the past, i feel as though he didn´t even watch the first season. The rules for Sybil or its very nature kept changing to make it convenient for this plot.-not-plot. ]

I did get a chuckle when Ginoza saw WC and suggested water closet because that is exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to hear in this thread about how little time Ubukata had to write the second season. I'd be curious to read those interviews. It seems like Psycho-Pass season 2 was kind of a lost cause from the start.

Not only did they lose Urobuchi, not only was it a rushed writing job, not only was it being written at the same time as the movie and basically forced to be nothing but a filler season as a result, but in addition to that all there were also two other important people that had a notable influence on season 1 that were completely absent from season 2.

Chief Director Katsuyuki Motohiro is one. He's actually the person who first set the project in motion, as he wanted to do an anime series (he had a fair amount of experience in live action directing but not anime) and specifically sought out Urobuchi to work with him on Psycho-Pass. You may remember Motohiro from when everyone was screaming about his "moe was a banned word" comment on the development of Psycho-Pass. Very Happy He definitely had an impact on the tone/style/direction of season 1.

Also, Urobuchi had a writing partner, Makoto Fukami. I don't know too much about Fukami, but they're apparently a fairly prolific writer (though they only got into anime/manga relatively recently) and according to Erica Friedman, they have a long history of including decent lesbian characters in pretty much everything they write. (To the point that when she heard about Psycho-Pass, she couldn't give a hoot about Urobuchi, but became very excited when she heard Fukami's name was attached.)

And both Fukami and Motohiro were completely uninvolved in season 2. Like Urobuchi, they were working on the movie. The entire core creative team of the first season was gutted for season 2. It was just a disaster waiting to happen, and it did.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention the animation production of season 2 is given to Tatsunoko instead of Production IG, although that is also part of reasons why that movie (produced by IG) quality is absolutely jaw-dropping.

The movie made more than 800 million yen in box office and DVD/BD sale of movie are also extraordinary. so season 2 did not hurt the franchise that much as some claimed.

That being said...season 2 is downright awful. I dropped the season2 at ep 6, hopefully I didn't miss much
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Interesting to hear in this thread about how little time Ubukata had to write the second season. I'd be curious to read those interviews. It seems like Psycho-Pass season 2 was kind of a lost cause from the start.

Even with the lack of time I still found Ubukata's ideas to be a bit lacking. Some of the things in his proposal were, basing characters off colours. White being Mika, black being Tougane, Kamui being clear. The rationale behind Tougane's "gaming the system" was that Makishima gave the appearance of a Fallen Angel, so Kamui was going to be a devil. Angels have no plans, Devils obsessively plan to fight god. Tougane is a replica of an Asymptomatic and Kamui a replica of the Sybil.

So essentially a lot of random ideas, but nothing that has anything thematically to do with the first series. It would work if there was some kind of thematic or character underpinning (I remember early episodes speculation of Kamui being Akane's Makishima) but in the end we get stuff like "patchwork brains vs patchwork bodies".

Anyways the interview is here but it has movie spoilers so at your peril.

http://kairosity.tumblr.com/post/126512937334/psycho-pass-official-profiling-2-interviews
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original Psycho-Pass was a real hit back when it premiered in 2012, one of the first hits in a long time for the once-renowned Noitamina anime block.
Wasn't AnoHana a reasonable enough hit? Only ~15 months passed between the end of AnoHana and the beginning of Psycho-Pass, though I guess one's definition of "a long time" can vary.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:

Even with the lack of time I still found Ubukata's ideas to be a bit lacking. Some of the things in his proposal were, basing characters off colours. White being Mika, black being Tougane, Kamui being clear. The rationale behind Tougane's "gaming the system" was that Makishima gave the appearance of a Fallen Angel, so Kamui was going to be a devil. Angels have no plans, Devils obsessively plan to fight god. Tougane is a replica of an Asymptomatic and Kamui a replica of the Sybil.

So essentially a lot of random ideas, but nothing that has anything thematically to do with the first series. It would work if there was some kind of thematic or character underpinning (I remember early episodes speculation of Kamui being Akane's Makishima) but in the end we get stuff like "patchwork brains vs patchwork bodies".

Anyways the interview is here but it has movie spoilers so at your peril.

http://kairosity.tumblr.com/post/126512937334/psycho-pass-official-profiling-2-interviews

Furthermore, shouldn't Ubukata have known what he was getting into? It sounds to me like the guy is just trying to excuse crappy ideas instead of just saying "eh, things happen" and moving on.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I watched it

I liked it

I bought the blu ray

I watched it again

I still liked it

(still a better show than future diary)
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to think that every series has something that you can latch onto to make it enjoyable, but yeah, season 2 deserved those F's. Yikes.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I was in I Want To Believe mode about this show for the longest time, mainly because Akane is such a great character, but yep, this season lets her and everyone else down. The movie was sort of therapeutic after this - more of a clear hold on the series' strengths (obviously, being Urobuchi's own continuation and all).

It sure seems like the idea is that there will be more after this, but I wonder if this season did any damage - I don't know how it was received in Japan.

Indeed. I couldn't agree with this review any harder if I was paid to, but thankfully I've heard good things about the movie so I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Thank you for such an in-depth breakdown of why this season just didn't work. Two good things I could take away from it? 1) I never had to waste any of my life on it, 2) I might enjoy the music from the season. Very Happy
LightYapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
I started watching S2 when I just started getting into anime. It didn't seem terrible to me back then but now when I think about it, it really is something worse than crap for all reasons Nick mentioned. Tow Ubukata really is at it for meaninglessly gory sci-fi ideas which lead to nothing, and despite haven't watched Ghost in the Shell, I can't see him being good at character writing in particular. Guess hardly anyone would pick him for scripting anymore.
LetsEatRamen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
I have never seen an F before. Shocked
In all fairness PP2 is really bad, but I personally think it only looks worse when you compare it to the first season. The first season makes the sequel look way worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4