• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Network's Holiday 2016 Gift Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
In the era of emulators and Raspberry Pi variants, the appeal of the miniature NES may be lost on me. Maybe its first-party polish lead to its unexpected popularity on (or perhaps off) the shelves. As for Google's Daydream, I have heard that it is possible to use a smartphone headset to play PC games in 3D via a local network. Whether the experience would be reasonably stable or responsive is something I have yet to establish though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
In the era of emulators and Raspberry Pi variants, the appeal of the miniature NES may be lost on me. Maybe its first-party polish lead to its unexpected popularity on (or perhaps off) the shelves.

You aren't the target demographic. None of the "just buy a raspberry pi/use an emulator" people are. I don't know why this is so hard for some to wrap their heads around. It's selling mainly 95% towards 30+ year old casual (i.e. non tech-savvy) players who have nostalgia playing the system in their childhood. That, or people who either want to buy directly from and support Nintendo, or simply for the novelty of owning a cute miniature NES console and couldn't be bothered to go through the comparative hassle of setting up an emulator. So the inevitable popularity of the system is definitely not unexpected.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I am not going to believe Last Guardian is out until it physically exists, and maybe not even then. And I am going to be cautious as all hell on it, we don't need another instance of Duke Nukem Forever.

But Dragon Quest Builders, man, I am SO in love with this game! Pokemon has just come out, yet Builders is the one still inexplicably on my mind, it's weird. I wasn't expecting to really like it, hell I wasn't even going to buy it until I saw some positive buzz, honestly, but I ADORE this game!

And you don't need actually need VR to play Rez (though it looks extra fun with the VR), but just get it anyway, if you've never played it before on PS2 or Dreamcast or something (or I think 360 Arcade had it too). Not requiring VR is probably a good plan from a standpoint of increasing sales and not pissing people off in general. Not sure how many other VR games don't require VR, I only looked at Rez because Rez has always been amazing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
God Eater 2 sounds like a good choice for a present this year, what with Shelf Life mentioning the anime series for purchase too. And if you played Project X Zone 2 earlier this year, you're probably craving more God Eater like me. :D
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed at no mention of Digimon a Story Cyber Sleuth. A game made to cater to the mature audience who started with Digimon Adventure 01 as a kid and does its job. Yoru no Nai Kuni(Nights of Azure). Who doesn't want some Yuri during the holidays? Odin Sphere HD. Greatness. Nuff said. Armed Blue Gunvolt(Azure Striker Gunvolt) Striker Pack. The one true successor to Rockman(Megaman) because Mighty no. 9 is not that.
DLH112

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
Anyone else noticed/irked that the cover image is Neptunia but there aren't any Neptunia goods in any of the sections? (unless i'm dumb/missed them, been up 24 hours now).

edit: i just realized that diff sections have diff images, i'm dumb. still, except for DMG i dont think any of the series on the cover images had stuff listed.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
As a huge fan of tabletop gaming, I'm a little sad that the Games section only includes digital games. There are some really fun and/or interesting anime/manga themed tabletop games including some games licensed from Japanese creators. A number of anime fans probably don't know much about tabletop gaming beyond collectable card games, D&D, and classic board games like Monopoly and Risk so this article could have been a good place to give the hobby some exposure. Here are some notable mentions:

-Tentacle Bento is a simple but fun stand-alone card game with a tentacle monster vs. anime school girl theme, if you're not sick of that stereotype.

-Ars Alchimia is a worker placement game with anime-style artwork that is actually licensed from Japan.

-Game publisher AEG has licensed and released a number of Japanese games including Seiji Kanai's Mai-Star and Love Letter (which has many themed versions including ones for Batman, Adventure Time, and Archer).

-King of Tokyo is a cool kaiju battle themed game.

-Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game is an officially licensed cooperative game based on Attack on Titan. They're also planning to release another Attack on Titan game next year.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
As a huge fan of tabletop gaming, I'm a little sad that the Games section only includes digital games. There are some really fun and/or interesting anime/manga themed tabletop games including some games licensed from Japanese creators. A number of anime fans probably don't know much about tabletop gaming beyond collectable card games, D&D, and classic board games like Monopoly and Risk so this article could have been a good place to give the hobby some exposure. Here are some notable mentions:

This is good feedback and I apologize for not thinking of it myself before the guide began; we will definitely include board, tabletop and card games in next year's Games section.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
In the era of emulators and Raspberry Pi variants, the appeal of the miniature NES may be lost on me.

I personally can't stand emulation, it feels intangible and fake. Although considering I have a sizable Famicom collection I don't really have a need for emulation or a mini NES either. I already have all the old games.

KH91 wrote:
Disappointed at no mention of Digimon a Story Cyber Sleuth. A game made to cater to the mature audience who started with Digimon Adventure 01 as a kid and does its job.

Cyber Sleuth is in no way aimed at a mature audience, it's typical kid/shounen fodder, just like the anime. Given that it came out at the beginning of the year most people interested in it probably already played it.

-Stuart Smith
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Cyber Sleuth is in no way aimed at a mature audience

-Stuart Smith

By actually following the news surrounding this game, you would have come across Producer Kazumasa Habu's CS interviews(1 , 2). You have would have known that making such a claim would be invalid, and that by simply playing the game would further prove you wrong. A simple google search would show practically every gaming site mentioning this game target audience. Why? First sentence. Cool

Stuart Smith wrote:
Given that it came out at the beginning of the year most people interested in it probably already played it.

-Stuart Smith

Edit: I knew I was forgetting something. Let me continue.

You do know the release date of each game in the article, right? Laughing What are you doing, Stuart?

-KH91
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
belvadeer, not only would it cost you a figurative arm, that price is quite berserk.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
I feel like a certain Steins;Gate 0 is curiously absent from this list. Considering the popularity of both the visual novel and the anime, and the fact that it literally just came out, you'd think it'd be pretty high on the radars and wishlists of a lot of anime fans. I know I'm definitely excited for it, especially given the high praise its been receiving.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3