• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Daughter and I finally sat down to watch the first three episodes. We'd been saving this one specifically for when we both had the time to watch it together.

I gotta say, this series has been fun so far, and I really hope they can keep it up throughout the entire run (Wikipedia says its slated for 25 episodes, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that). It was also nice to see that all of the characters introduced in the two OVAs have now had their official TV introductions. and I'm really liking the way they've expanded and enlarged the story overall.

So many things to like here: The humor is done well, the characters are interesting to watch, and there are always little jokes being dropped everywhere (anyone else notice the goldfish with a witch's hat?). Refreshingly, there has been almost no hint of fanservice, something practically unheard of in anime these days. Other things I've liked:

* Sucy keeps stealing the show just about every scene she is in.
* Diana turns out to not be as much of a villain as you might have expected. She's still arrogant, but at least has a moral compass and knows when she's wrong. In the long run she and Akko will probably wind up as friendly (rather than bitter) rivals, probably even coming to each other's aid if/when the need arises.
* Slight hints of Ursula/Shiny Chariot's backstory. I'm betting its a little darker and perhaps more tragic than you might expect from this series.

The only character I have questions about right now is the guy in the opening credits. So far as I can tell he's the only character who hasn't appeared anywhere else, not even in the OVAs, so I'm interested to know what his purpose is. That also raises another question: is there a similar school somewhere for young male magic users? ("Yes!" my daughter just said over my shoulder. "It's just Unseen!") My guess is there is and perhaps this guy is their head master.

Looking forward to watching the rest of this series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
Oh man, LWA academy is perfect "co-viewing" material (i.e. shows that parents and children can watch together and both enjoy).
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh man, LWA academy is perfect "co-viewing" material (i.e. shows that parents and children can watch together and both enjoy).

Yes, it is. Probably much more so than many anime.

Though I should point out that my daughter is college-age now, tho that doesn't stop her from hijacking my Crunchyroll account... Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Laughing The perils of not keeping your passwords safe...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
So Akko can't fly (like in the OVAs) but she wants to participate in Girls' Quidditch so then they go to Borgin and Burkes where they find a Nimbus 2000 horcrux.....I'm sorry; I CAN'T STOP Anime hyper

Rereading Harry Potter's books while this show is airing was a mistake.

.....okay, I am POSITIVE Ursula is Chariot......the weird thing is they look nothing alike...but the show is waving flags in your face like crazy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
So Akko can't fly (like in the OVAs) but she wants to participate in Girls' Quidditch so then they go to Borgin and Burkes where they find a Nimbus 2000 horcrux.....I'm sorry; I CAN'T STOP Anime hyper

Hmm, flying pastries were also involved.

Oh, I just remembered a funny little thing I meant to bring up. You know how there was apparently an award from the creepy teacher? In the ED of the episode you see Hanna and Barbara playing with it and before a bunch of snakes or something come out of it, scaring the two of them while Diana walks away. It looks like occasionally different pictures will be put into the ending.

Also watching the ED again, I notice what seems to be some sort of polo played on broomsticks, so about the joke of there being Quidditch.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
The only character I have questions about right now is the guy in the opening credits. So far as I can tell he's the only character who hasn't appeared anywhere else, not even in the OVAs, so I'm interested to know what his purpose is.

Diana's brother? The look, the stance, shape of face, eye colour, suit, overall impression... let's just say I wouldn't exactly be surprised if those two turned out to be siblings. For what role he might play in this all, no idea?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

.....okay, I am POSITIVE Ursula is Chariot......the weird thing is they look nothing alike...but the show is waving flags in your face like crazy.

Considering that Chariot is a witch whose magic we've seen, it wouldn't be too hard for her alter her appearance.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

As has been pointed out elsewhere, this series is about the closest anyone has ever done to a Harry Potter TV series.

Chiibi wrote:

spoiler[Its already been stated in just about all the promotional material for the series that Ursula = Chariot. Its certainly part of her official character description.]

I'm still thinking the back story to this is going to be dark. Perhaps she's in hiding?

Blanchimont wrote:
Diana's brother? The look, the stance, shape of face, eye colour, suit, overall impression... let's just say I wouldn't exactly be surprised if those two turned out to be siblings. For what role he might play in this all, no idea?

The series big bad? I kind of hope not.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
The series big bad? I kind of hope not.

By what yardstick would Diana be big bad, unless you are watching some other show? Or her plausible sibling for that matter? I'm not entirely convinced this series even has one...
...now her sidekicks may be a bit of bullies, admittedly...
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about the young man/possible brother.

I think it would actually be refreshing if there wasn't a series villain, honestly. Just succeeding trials for Akko to overcome, even let her fail every once in a while.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

A Lotte episode. We did get filled in on her own abilities with singing and talking to fairies. A nice change in this being the first time Lotte has kind of taken the initiative in anything, and good to see her different side in her geeky side. Night Fall probably could be like anything, but clear parallels seemed to be with Twilight, and regardless of my own feelings I appreciate it for what it means for fans that can largely spread from young to older mostly ladies, but I would not say restricted. Appreciation for fan bases, even in the face of criticism even from within said fan bases. And really out of the characters I probably identify a bit with Lotte.

There seemed a little bit of a question asked of who exactly was Greatben810, a friend of Lotte over the interwebs, the implication that it is someone at the school. The shot right when they arrive seems to imply it is spoiler[actually Badcock, the teacher that was talking about tarts being expensive]. Kind of nice in the fellow fans coming in surprising packages. And also on that, a small bit but a bit of separation in the personalities of Hanna and Barbara in Barbara apparently also being a fan of Night Fall in opposition to Hanna, which would do good to separate these two into actual characters.

Funny though, I would have kind of expected a different character to steal food.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
You might be right about the identity of GreatBen810, DP, but I hope it turns out to be Diana. Another great episode. I'm really digging the story-telling chops of the series - you never really know where things are going but they always seem to wrap up in a really satisfying way while laying some seeds for future episodes. I wasn't aware of the character names Hannah and Barbara before, but no doubt older North Americans pick up on the reference to Hanna-Barbera, the animation studio that produced classics cartoons like The Flintsones, The Jetsons, and Scooby-Doo. Clearly, Hanna-Barbera had some Japanese fans.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
I only actually learned of their names the other week too, thought it was funny of it being a reference to the old animation studio. I am an Australian and pretty young, but I feel comfortable to say I kind of grew up Flintstones, Jetsons and Scooby Doo, probably from stints that I had Cartoon Network. But I did quite like Scooby Doo VHS tapes.

I was partially thinking maybe Diana, but I was sort of worried that it would be putting too much on her character after she is already supposed to be a secret fan of Shiny Chariot. Kind of interesting that maybe while Akko has the fan connection with Diana and Ursula, Lotte has one with Barbara and another teacher. And later Sucy might have something.

Some interesting things could actually have been pulled from names before, like their different countries of origin, which I did not really focus on earlier.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't recall hints that Diana is a secret fan of Shiny Chariot, but believe me, I trust your memory 1,000 times more than my own. That would make more sense because it would be a secret connection to Akko, as opposed to Lotte.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11