• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: GANTZ:O

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Now that I have seen the film myself, I have to say they did an amazing job of adapting this story arc into a singular narrative for a film. Despite cut characters, it was actually very faithful to the source, even going so far as to give one of the more iconic moments of the arc to Nishi when originally the moment is for a character who is not in the film. The only thing that really bothered me is that some of the exposition, like what happens when you get 100 points, were actually huge reveals in the manga so those plot points were diminished. But as others have said, this was some really top class CG work that I think was a perfect vehicle for Gantz's visual style and action. I'd like to see the entirety of Gantz rendered this way.

DrunkAyanami wrote:
Just watched this, also read the manga a while ago, so my memory of specifics is hazy, but this movie is DEFINITELY GANTZ through and through. So what if the details are altered (I don't remember the boss monster going through like 10 different forms just so we could see all the fan favorite villains, but maybe I'm wrong?)?

Oh no, this absolutely happened, and it's why I found this arc exhausting to read. The Nurarihyon alien just. would. Not. DIE! Thing is, by this point in the manga the whole concept of something that that is extremely hard to kill was wearing thin for me, and then this thing shows up and is just absurd. Every transformation/resurrection/power felt completely arbitrary and it seemed like a battle that Hiroya Okū was going to end only when he felt like it rather than through some logical story progression. I also thought his art started getting sloppy here with some really confusing composition. But getting the whole arc in a complete package like this made me enjoy it a lot more, and not only did the Nurarihyon look awesome but a lot of the big moments had more impact for me here than when I read it. So yeah, I'm much fonder of this arc because of this film and that's saying a lot.

AngeloB wrote:
spoiler[I've enjoyed the movie, but there's something in the end that I didn't understand very well. For most of the movie, I was fed the idea that Kato had to earn 100 points and choose option 3 (freedom with memory wipe) to be released from the games and go back to his brother.

Yet, in the end he chose option 2, to resurrect the girl and yet, Gantz allowed him to go out of that room and go meet his brother. So, what's going on here?

1 - When not participating in a game, they can still lead their normal lives, they're just teleported to that room when a crysis happens? This means that option 3's advantage is that the players cease to be conjured to the games, right?
2 - Kato received a double reward?

Also, it's weird that, if they knew him, they didn't behave like they knew him.]

Just to be clear: spoiler[The big reveal of the movie is that Kato had been through the game before, and he chose Option 3 the first time. But because of who he is, he managed to get himself killed again and wound up back in the Gantz room for a second playthrough. It's actually really funny, since this implies that not only did Kato get himself killed twice, he did so in the same subway station.

But yes, when the game is over you get to leave and live your normal life. Problem is if you don't pick Option 3, you will always be summoned back and there is always the chance that you will end up on a mission like the Osaka one and die. So it's not exactly a "double reward."]
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

DrunkAyanami wrote:
Just watched this, also read the manga a while ago, so my memory of specifics is hazy, but this movie is DEFINITELY GANTZ through and through. So what if the details are altered (I don't remember the boss monster going through like 10 different forms just so we could see all the fan favorite villains, but maybe I'm wrong?)?

Oh no, this absolutely happened, and it's why I found this arc exhausting to read. The Nurarihyon alien just. would. Not. DIE! Thing is, by this point in the manga the whole concept of something that that is extremely hard to kill was wearing thin for me, and then this thing shows up and is just absurd. Every transformation/resurrection/power felt completely arbitrary and it seemed like a battle that Hiroya Okū was going to end only when he felt like it rather than through some logical story progression. I also thought his art started getting sloppy here with some really confusing composition. But getting the whole arc in a complete package like this made me enjoy it a lot more, and not only did the Nurarihyon look awesome but a lot of the big moments had more impact for me here than when I read it. So yeah, I'm much fonder of this arc because of this film and that's saying a lot.

You know, I just went back and read the arc for this manga, and you are completely right. It only FELT like 100 bosses were smooshed into the final boss because it took so many chapters and subplots to do so. Going back and re-reading, I'm actually quite impressed at how well the movie managed to condense the "material" (by material I mean "cool action scenes and grotesque aliens," and there's nothing wrong with that).

That means fan favorites like Muscle Rider and the psychics were cut, but it also means that ridiculous, non-sequitur attempts at humor were also cut. Remember that nerd guy who somehow escaped death about 100 times and briefly used the boss-head as a weapon? Yea, I had totally forgot about that, and I don't feel bad about it...

Remember "guy who fucked anything?" OK, yea, I DO remember him, but the story is better for leaving his weird, creepy ass out. Except for MAYBE the part where he tries to have sex with the giant boob lady monster (I have to at least respect his unwavering single-mindedness I guess?), but that just... yea... not really feature movie material... for a lot of reasons...
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I never seen the original anime TV series or read the manga. Is this movie a good way to get into the series?
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I never seen the original anime TV series or read the manga. Is this movie a good way to get into the series?

Not really. If you're not familiar with the series before you watch the movie, it'll be pretty confusing to you.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. I don't think you have to have any previous experience with the franchise to understand the movie. (Or at least any understanding shortcomings you have won't be any greater than for someone who has seen the TV series.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:

Is this a good way to get into the series? I would say No. I would say read the manga or watch the live-action movies if you want a shorter version (they are ok-ish). The anime TV show makes a few changes and doesn't end in the best spot imho (its otherwise fairly accurate to the manga). Does that mean you wouldn't enjoy this movie if you only watched it? That depends on your tastes. If you like action, special affects and squishy violence you'll probably be ok with it or maybe even like it. Then you could go sample the other stuff if you wanted more. However, if you prefer a little more meat on your story and a better context to what's going on you may end up a little underwhelmed. If this is more like your tastes then it might be better to start with something else.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Finally got a chance to watch this movie, and I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised, it was better than I expected and I had high hopes for it. definitely looking forward to more of this. The changes to the manga are a little bit of a let down but they are perfectly understandable in order to make this more accessible to newcomers.

what I wish for is actually a prequel rather than a sequel, the vampyre arc was my favorite out of the entire manga, and muscle rider and psychic guys are some of the most memorable characters in the franchise. it is also in the spam from after the mission at the temple to the beginning of this movie that kurono has his best character arc/grow in the story, I would love to see that, although I guess they are hesitant to adapt it since it has been done already (I am told the second live action movie was "inspired" by the vampyre arc, haven't watch any of them myself).

On another note they not being so faithful to the original story might be a blessing, there are many things I don't like about the original ending of the manga, plus it felt rushed and under explained.

Despite the changes, I am glad this movie was able to express perfectly kato's central theme of true heroism, kudos for that. on my opinion though, the violence felt toned down and non explicit. I personally enjoy it better this way but considering this is gantz, not having that mild feeling of disgust while watching made it feel like something was lacking.

The hidden treasure here was actually the voice acting, it felt so refreshing and pleasant to watch an "anime" story in which the characters had an actual script and pronunciation resembling real people. watching so much anime makes one forget japanese people don't articulate nowhere near what we see in our anime. I am guessing they were aiming for a more mainstream audience but in any case I wish more anime productions took this initiative
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3