• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon's Anime Strike Announces Full Spring Lineup, Premiere Dates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
hsbeta wrote:
Important Question: Are there any information about streaming outside of the United States? Or does it mean other countries are fucked?

Thanks for your answers!

Last season, Scum's Wish was exclusively streamd on Amazon Strike for the US, BUT it was available in the Latin American Amazon Prime Video, alongside Onihei and The Great Passage. I don't know how it works in other countries, tho, but I think some of these shows were also available in Amazon UK.

If this trend continues, people outside the US might be able to watch these shows on Amazon Prime, just like any simulcast. The problem is, well, not everybody has an Amazon account!

Yep, and not everyone has a Hulu account, a Netflix account, a Crunchyroll account, a TAN account, or Funimation account. That's just the way it works.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping that Sentai tries copying Funimation and dubbing ALL of the shows they got out of this deal. The only outright shocker is Virgin Soul, and like others said with Kabaneri, Funimation could probably get that back eventually.

My question is, does Strike include previous Noitamina shows? I know Prime stole Funi's deal to release those shows starting with Kabaneri, but have those shows gone to Strike now?
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Time to send an email to Amazon to get them to rethink Anime Strike's double paywall. Honestly, I don't think I'd be as critical if it was $4.99/month for non-Prime and free for Prime members, but as someone who's already struggling to justify Amazon Prime's base $99/year rate now that I don't have the student discount, another $60 is just too much. As much as I hate to say it, if Amazon and Sentai just leaves things be, there's always other ways around this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I'm just hoping that Sentai tries copying Funimation and dubbing ALL of the shows they got out of this deal. The only outright shocker is Virgin Soul, and like others said with Kabaneri, Funimation could probably get that back eventually.

My question is, does Strike include previous Noitamina shows? I know Prime stole Funi's deal to release those shows starting with Kabaneri, but have those shows gone to Strike now?

Yeah, I'm also hoping for dubs. I feel like the only thing that would make Anime Strike truly worth it for me is if Sentai puts dub versions of their shows on Amazon Strike like Funimation does on their streaming service. It's really annoying to me that Crunchyroll Sentai titles are sub only and the only way to see the dubs is to buy the discs. What century are we living in? Wink It's more convenient to stream.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Time to send an email to Amazon to get them to rethink Anime Strike's double paywall. Honestly, I don't think I'd be as critical if it was $4.99/month for non-Prime and free for Prime members, but as someone who's already struggling to justify Amazon Prime's base $99/year rate now that I don't have the student discount, another $60 is just too much. As much as I hate to say it, if Amazon and Sentai just leaves things be, there's always other ways around this...

Yeah, I plan on sending an email later today, and if it continues, I'll probably decide not to renew my Prime subscription. The shipping is nice, but I can do without, and the 20% discount on new games is nice, but I've gotten so far behind on what I want to play that I can easily just buy those later when the price is reduced anyway.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
You've got to be kidding me, Amazon actually got Rage of Bahamut.....what the hell. That's the one show this season I've looked forward to for so long. Hopefully Funimation at least secures the home video license and dubs it. That is the one show I do not wish to watch illegally. I really, really hope Amazon drops the double pay wall nonsense and make them Prime exclusives.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know, seeing as Anime Strike is focused on the US, what do others outside of the US get? Are these shows now simply not able to come to Crunchyroll for anybody, anywhere in the world now? If so, I guess I'll skip on streaming once again.

I swear everytime I consider getting a Crunchyroll membership situations like this happen and remind me why I don't stream in the first place. I'll stick with home media.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
People are saying that we should contact Amazon directly to make our voices heard, and while that's true that's exactly the problem with Amazon's presence in the anime streaming market. If people get in an uproar on various anime forums about CR or Funi or some other company, they're listening. Meanwhile, Amazon being the massive company they are can easily shrug off these complaints, and that's if they're even paying attention to complaints at all.

How are they supposed to be in tune with anime fans if they aren't already aware that Anime Strike being locked behind Prime is a huge complaint? I mean, do we really need to make them aware that there are those who only want to subscribe for anime and not anything else? The likely truth is that they already do know, because Crunchyroll is a thing with 1 million subscribers for an anime-only service. If even knowing that they still go with a double paywall, how is that anything else but anti-consumer? If they charge Prime members extra for anime, how is that not a tax on anime fans?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:
People are saying that we should contact Amazon directly to make our voices heard, and while that's true that's exactly the problem with Amazon's presence in the anime streaming market. If people get in an uproar on various anime forums about CR or Funi or some other company, they're listening. Meanwhile, Amazon being the massive company they are can easily shrug off these complaints, and that's if they're even paying attention to complaints at all.

How are they supposed to be in tune with anime fans if they aren't already aware that Anime Strike being locked behind Prime is a huge complaint? I mean, do we really need to make them aware that there are those who only want to subscribe for anime and not anything else? The likely truth is that they already do know, because Crunchyroll is a thing with 1 million subscribers for an anime-only service. If even knowing that they still go with a double paywall, how is that anything else but anti-consumer? If they charge Prime members extra for anime, how is that not a tax on anime fans?

Ultimately, I agree with you. We've seen it before where a bigger company will dabble in anime and then leave due to lackluster sales because they thought that they knew what they were doing and didn't have to pay mind to fans. I think contacting Amazon about it is more useful than doing nothing, but the far more noticeable thing will be a lack of subscriptions to Strike. Unfortunately, Amazon has the financial means to basically play a game of chicken with fans by snapping up multiple shows each season and seeing how long fans will refuse to subscribe.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Amazon is going to be the prime reason for the resurgence of fansub groups. This whole setup is just plain stupid. Spend $100 a year on Amazon Prime and then an extra $60 a year to watch some anime. Just bleed people dry Amazon.

Nothing wrong with sending complaints, but not sure how much it really matters. No one there could be stupid enough to think this is a good idea and that people aren't frustrated by it. There are ways to make this thing work, but this current setup isn't it.

Which just sucks. There was good progress being made for anime with CR and Funi getting most of the shows. Now with Amazon basically hiding away most anime behind a double paywall it will probably start sliding backwards again in terms of awareness.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Yeah, I'm also hoping for dubs. I feel like the only thing that would make Anime Strike truly worth it for me is if Sentai puts dub versions of their shows on Amazon Strike like Funimation does on their streaming service. It's really annoying to me that Crunchyroll Sentai titles are sub only and the only way to see the dubs is to buy the discs. What century are we living in? Wink It's more convenient to stream.

Strike has some dubbed content from Sentai, so I wouldn't be surprised to see dubs being produced for some of these shows as well. Dubbed content would be a good way to differentiate themselves from CR, and would give them more chances to entice additional Prime subscribers to sign up for it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I feel like the only thing that would make Anime Strike truly worth it for me is if Sentai puts dub versions of their shows on Amazon Strike like Funimation does on their streaming service.

Anime Strike already has the dub versions of Parasyte, Akame ga Kill, Girls und Panzer, No Game No Life, High School of the Dead and a few others. I imagine Amazon will keep adding more Sentai dubs to Strike. And RahXephon is in regular Prime by the way.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess that means the only thing I'll be watching this season is My Hero Academia Season 2(AOT Season 2 I'm putting on hold in favor of watching it on Toonami instead).

So 2017 seeming to look like a shitty year so far for anime between this and Netflix locking away Little Witch Academia until god knows when. But on the plus side, This is the perfect time to shave off the shows on my backlog!
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I checked Canadian Amazon Prime. Nothing new's shown up there yet. I'm really hoping it isn't a stupid situation like they have streaming rights for North America...but they mean exclusive to Strike, period. I know Canada isn't a huge market, but we are a market. We aren't going to get Strike for years anyway, since we're way behind the curve for Amazon.

I do know that Amazon Prime hasn't really taken off in Canada (mostly because there's basically no advertising about anything aside from the free 2 day shipping) and I'm worried they're going to let it just wither and die up here.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:

Like any massive company, i'm sure there are the numbers people and the content people. So we need to convince the numbers people that they can't treat anime fans the same way as HBO fans or whatever is in all the other premium channels on Amazon. Sure, they can just ignore us all but complaining directly to them is better than nothing and gives the people inside Amazon who would want to change things something to go off of when the subscriber numbers are not what they wanted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7