• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 90% of Crunchyroll Users Identify as Gamers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
The title really needs to be changed... it's 90% of those polled, not 90% of all Crunchyroll users... :/ 10K turnout for a survey is kinda skewed though considering how many users they actually have...

Not really. Statistically, 10k is more than enough of a sample size for this. Just a few hundred would've actually been fine. Unless they totally screwed up on their polling demographic distribution, and I really doubt they did, this should pretty accurately reflect their entire user base.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there is a slight connection to, or they already had an idea with advertisement. I think that I had seen a lot of adds for Crunchyroll through gaming channels I watch on YouTube. One of the particular positives was being told that I would be able to stream Crunchyroll on my Xbox One, so I could have it on for gaming, and then just start the app up.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:48 am Reply with quote
Do 100% offline, retro game-players count as "gamers"?

I can't afford to keep up with modern consoles or current PC gaming rig requirements and have no interest in playing online but I still love playing Playstation 2 games and 10-to-15-year old PC games I buy from the thrift store.

I'm of the age where Playstation 2 graphics still look perfectly good to me for the most part because I'm old enough to remember when "3D" games were still just untextured polygons that numbered in the low hundreds at most that ran at single digit frames per second. Hard Drivin' was mind-blowing graphics when I was a teenager.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I can't afford to keep up with modern consoles or current PC gaming rig requirements and have no interest in playing online but I still love playing Playstation 2 games and 10-to-15-year old PC games I buy from the thrift store.

I'm of the age where Playstation 2 graphics still look perfectly good to me for the most part because I'm old enough to remember when "3D" games were still just untextured polygons that numbered in the low hundreds at most that ran at single digit frames per second. Hard Drivin' was mind-blowing graphics when I was a teenager.

8-16 bit era was the best era IMO. That's where I grew up, and that's what most of the games I play come from. I still love the way that stuff looks, and I'm glad that I haven't even come close to exhausting the well of interesting old games.

I don't see any reason that people who play these things shouldn't be called 'gamers'. I guess I would call myself a 'gamer' in that I play video games (though I do it a lot less now than I used to), but I don't know that I would consider it a significant part of my identity, or if I do, the fact that I like older titles is more the identity than the simple fact that I play video games, much like I'd say "I like science fiction" over "I like books."
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:
90% of users identify as gamers, 46% female user base... But many people on the internet will still insist that women don't play games.

(snip image from page 1)

With figures like this I wouldn't expect that stereotype of "women don't play games" to disappear anytime soon.

While I know a large amount of female gamers, being one myself and studying Games Design at University, I don't contest the fact that there's more male then female gamers, but... is the Switch really the best example to prove your point? It's a new console that most people I'd argue haven't bought into yet, and won't for a few years. I know I'm not getting one until there's actually a variety of games for it.

Anyway, I always thought anime fan and gamer kinda went hand in hand. I've literally never met someone who watches anime but doesn't play games, on or offline. Most people around my age who got into anime when it had its 90's & early 2000's boom would've been caught in the 90's/early 2000's video games boom too.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Gamer is a pretty useless label. I'm a gamer, but I have zero in common with the average American definition of gamer. I hate shooters, and triple A games in general. I think LPers and Streamers are dumb since I'd rather play games that watch other people play games, especially donating hundreds of dollars to streamers when I could use that money to buy more games for myself, or anime stuff. I'm more in line with the Japanese side of the industry.

Puniyo wrote:
It's a new console that most people I'd argue haven't bought into yet, and won't for a few years. I know I'm not getting one until there's actually a variety of games for it.

The Wii U and 3DS had a similar gender breakdown, and I'd like to think Nintendo is more female appealing than Sony and Microsoft are. I do remember reading the female 3DS owners spiked after Animal Crossing: New Leaf was released, though. Though with Animal Crossing now being a mobile title... sigh. Maybe when Pokemon Switch drops.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Well, apparently there's still a 10% that own Roku boxes or AppleTV's (do they stream CR?), or just chooses to watch it on their cellphone/tablets because they think that's where you have to watch all streaming.

You appear to be assuming that everyone that has a gaming console uses it as their primary means of streaming CR. There are reasons why that might not be the case.

Too bad this survey didn't ask "What is your primary device for streaming CR?"
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Puniyo wrote:
It's a new console that most people I'd argue haven't bought into yet, and won't for a few years. I know I'm not getting one until there's actually a variety of games for it.

The Wii U and 3DS had a similar gender breakdown, and I'd like to think Nintendo is more female appealing than Sony and Microsoft are. I do remember reading the female 3DS owners spiked after Animal Crossing: New Leaf was released, though. Though with Animal Crossing now being a mobile title... sigh. Maybe when Pokemon Switch drops.

The WiiU I imagine so but the 3DS kinda surprises me with all its cutesy games.
I guess the general problem with consoles is their tripleA lineup is always really limited and samey, and people take that as being a representation of the entire industry. Playstation really shines in its variety of games when you start getting into the Japanese side of the market, but it's overlooked by the west a lot. I'm actually always surprised to find male players of games like the Atelier series for example, it just seems so girly to me, haha.

That said, that's why I find it easy to believe a large amount of _anime fans_ who are female are also gamers, rather than talking about gamers as a whole. Japanese and anime games generally are a lot more appealing to females rather than the regular tripleA console lineup.

Personally I'll play anything you put infront of me though.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
This infographic just leaves me with more questions. How was the survey conducted? That is a pretty good response. I never even knew about it. Is an active monthly user someone who watches at least once a month?

Other than the age demographic I pretty much felt before like I'm not like most of Crunchyroll's subscribers. I barely have time for hobbies period anymore. I usually try to make time for watching Detective Conan on Crunchyroll (or LoGH on HiDive) but, I can't even manage to do that every week. I haven't played games since I was a teenager and even then I hardly did. I don't even play mobile games now so it impresses me when I see adults whether they're in college or working that have the time for playing something. 48% polled can spend 20+ hours a week, 16% 40hrs? Sheesh.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
This infographic just leaves me with more questions. How was the survey conducted? That is a pretty good response. I never even knew about it. Is an active monthly user someone who watches at least once a month?

I was just solicited for a Crunchyroll survey through my email yesterday. Not this same survey, but I imagine it's the same way they got these people.

Quote:
Other than the age demographic I pretty much felt before like I'm not like most of Crunchyroll's subscribers. I barely have time for hobbies period anymore. I usually try to make time for watching Detective Conan on Crunchyroll (or LoGH on HiDive) but, I can't even manage to do that every week. I haven't played games since I was a teenager and even then I hardly did. I don't even play mobile games now so it impresses me when I see adults whether they're in college or working that have the time for playing something. 48% polled can spend 20+ hours a week, 16% 40hrs? Sheesh.

This is the thing I don't get either. I remember when I played 20+ hours of games a week, and also had time to watch a few episodes of anime per day, but those days are long gone. And in those days, I certainly wasn't working full-time+. The only way I could possibly fit more than an hour of gaming into my day is if I sacrificed sleep, and I'm already not getting enough sleep, so yeah. It does really make me wonder how these people are able to find time and money to do that!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

Yeah, I watch anime and don't play video games. Nothing against them, I just can't get into them. Except for Ace Attorney and 2-3 mobage, but the writing in Ace Attorney got stupid after the fourth one.

Writing was stupid from the first game on.

Nekki Basara wrote:

Games should be developed without garbage politics, games should be developed in the vision of the creators whatever that is, they are not there to fulfill extreme leftists ort extreme conservatives progaganda of todays world.

As games are a form of media they of course aren't going to be free from politics and even when they are people are going to perceive certain elements as being apart of some perceived agenda. Secondly creators being allowed to make the games they want to make can lead to the very issue you're broaching.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

This is the thing I don't get either. I remember when I played 20+ hours of games a week, and also had time to watch a few episodes of anime per day, but those days are long gone. And in those days, I certainly wasn't working full-time+. The only way I could possibly fit more than an hour of gaming into my day is if I sacrificed sleep, and I'm already not getting enough sleep, so yeah. It does really make me wonder how these people are able to find time and money to do that!

8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work leaves 8 hours of free time a day, 16 on the weekend. That's about 72 hours of free time a week. 20 hours a week is pretty low, to be honest. Technically more for me since I watch stuff at work when its slow and have nothing to do.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work leaves 8 hours of free time a day, 16 on the weekend. That's about 72 hours of free time a week. 20 hours a week is pretty low, to be honest. Technically more for me since I watch stuff at work when its slow and have nothing to do.

Unless you either work from home or teleport to work and back and get a paid lunch, work is going to take more than 8 hours out of your day. For myself, it is a bit over 10.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Guess I am in the 10% then I don’t consider myself a gamer.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Not really. Statistically, 10k is more than enough of a sample size for this. Just a few hundred would've actually been fine. Unless they totally screwed up on their polling demographic distribution, and I really doubt they did, this should pretty accurately reflect their entire user base.

That's only ten percent of their paid subscribers... and even less indicative of their overall number of subscribers (.08%!). I don't think that's a fair enough assessment of what their users identify as... (then again, it's no more flawed than a political poll supposedly speaking for "most of the country")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4