• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Superhero Ouroboros

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
While it's not a hinderance for the show itself, it does create an uncomfortable entry barrier for what has become a norm.

Since when has that ever been the norm in anime?
Thanks for catching that, I meant in Western society.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

Lol what a bunch of bullcrap. If DITF constitutes a barrier to anime, it's only on some very specific websites (which I won't name). Western audiences are having a blast with DITF and plenty of very interesting discussions can be had, just not here.
Just look at what american tv is doing. They are hamfisting gays and lesbians left and right in all their shows. They're sprouting everywhere like mushrooms and this gives a very distorted world view. Gays and lesbians constitute a very very very tiny minority in all societies around the world. Watching american shows you'd think just the opposite, that normal heterosexual men and women were a species destined for extinction and that the future is all man on man and woman on woman action. This is seriously going to distort how you view entertainment and foster a climate of undying hate versus you know normal boys and girls.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Lol what a bunch of bullcrap. If DITF constitutes a barrier to anime, it's only on some very specific websites (which I won't name). Western audiences are having a blast with DITF and plenty of very interesting discussions can be had, just not here.
Just look at what american tv is doing. They are hamfisting gays and lesbians left and right in all their shows. They're sprouting everywhere like mushrooms and this gives a very distorted world view. Gays and lesbians constitute a very very very tiny minority in all societies around the world. Watching american shows you'd think just the opposite, that normal heterosexual men and women were a species destined for extinction and that the future is all man on man and woman on woman action. This is seriously going to distort how you view entertainment and foster a climate of undying hate versus you know normal boys and girls.

I try not to respond to this stuff but seriously: are you aware that this show is hosted by a couple of married men?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

It's not really the norm in Western society either. If it was, you think LBGT people would be so hungry for (proper) representation?

On DITF, Ikuno is 100% gay though. She wants Ichigo BAD. Can't really blame her either.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
A show doesn't have to make social commentary in order to be "good" or thematically deep, and trying to force your own desire of a specific commentary is rather unfair.
The absolute state of Western commentary, where every single piece of media known to man has to be about having the "important conversations" or about tackling soc-jus themes in a politically correct manner so as to serve as a vessel to advocate for mainstream leftist ideology.

Zac wrote:
I try not to respond to this stuff but seriously: are you aware that this show is hosted by a couple of married men?
This sounds like the equivalent of the "b-but I have [insert minority group here] friends!" excuse.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
A show doesn't have to make social commentary in order to be "good" or thematically deep, and trying to force your own desire of a specific commentary is rather unfair.
The absolute state of Western commentary, where every single piece of media known to man has to be about having the "important conversations" or about tackling soc-jus themes in a politically correct manner so as to serve as a vessel to advocate for mainstream leftist ideology.

Zac wrote:
This sounds like the equivalent of the "b-but I have [insert minority group here] friends!" excuse.

Do you see me as your inferior?
we love lain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Oh, definitely, from an intellectual history perspective it's probably the most influential scholarly work of the turn of the 20th century. It's just funny to me that people have been complaining for weeks about how Franxx's symbolism is the most basic thing ever, and it turns out it's heavily influenced by a work that - among other things - sought to explain why every culture around the world used the same basic symbolism. Laughing

Which is a silly complaint because symbolism's power is only in how concrete it is to its audience. To quote Robert Ebert (a man I definitely didn't always agree with, but do here): “If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it didn't.” Abstract symbolism is rampant in anime and often earns heaps of praise from self proclaimed anime critics that give their own irrelevant meaning to something that had no inherent meaning to begin with. In the case of Darling, it has both very obvious symbolism, such as mistletoe and the Jian bird, and more nuanced ones like the overwhelming power of names (and those who give them) and their consequence to society. The show really is better written than those who discredit will ever admit, as they are only concerned with the social commentary that they wanted the show to discuss, rather than actually analyzing the writing for its own merits. It's a self-imposed, biased critique that has become all too common.

I just want to point out that I definitely don't want to discredit Zac or Jacob's opinion on other aspects of the show. I wouldn't be listening to this podcast every(ish) week if I didn't care what they had to say Razz I just think Darling has many interesting things to talk about that don't involve the piloting process as a metaphor for relationships.

Dude..you can make anything sound interesting if you embellish it enough. The problem with DITF is how it explores or even utilizes those aspects you have mentioned in order to create interesting characters and situations. I find that DITF, regardless of however many hours of analysis you can pull out of a show (trust me, I can do the exact same thing to a show like 3d kanojo ) means nothing if the show itself does not create interesting drama out of it through well...interesting characters, interesting settings, etc. Yea you're right that a show doesn't have to be thematically deep or have perceived literary importance to be great or even a masterpiece (Hell, I think Fullmetal Panic Fumoffu is one of the best anime comedies (and anime in general) to be produced and that's not brimming with thematic depth); but DITF is derivative in almost every way. This truly is well-produced mediocrity. Tell me, what does this show truly do in an outstanding fashion? because it sure as hell isn't an impactful and well-told romance story, which is unfortunate because that's what the show is trying to be more than anything. I'm trying to be as unbiased as i humanely can be. When evaluating media, there will be aspects that will always be perceived as flaws. However, it is important to weigh those flaws against what the show actually achieves and whether it achieves its goal in the most effective and narratively poignant of ways. When i weigh DITF's f laws with its strengths, there is no net positive. People call the characters impressively written and hearing that just kills me sometimes because it feels to me that the bar in the anime community is just so damn low that this is what is considered great character writing; unbelievable. This is a 5/10 show through and through and it pains me to even state that because i initially wanted to love this show. I was down for its themes and silly mecha-cockpits until i realized that its theme exploration and character writing was kind of underwhelming. People don't just want to undervalue the show; I've never like those arguments. There are some genuine problems with this show that people just tend to gloss over.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
^I think James Beckett's review of last week's episode does a good job of evaluating DiTF's strengths and weaknesses overall. While I haven't always agreed with his assessments of the show, frankly, I think his coverage of the show has been the best balanced of this site, showing a real understanding what fans of the show enjoy about it, while not glossing over the concerns that Jacob and Zac have brought up.

I have no problem with someone not finding the show interesting, but I find it irritating when (some of) the show's critics either assume ignorance on the part of the fans of the show (something to the effect of "Well they wouldn't enjoy it if that had watched Evangelion...") or couch their argument with the implication of "It is just not good/interesting, objectively speaking". I don't think it is fair or sensible to hold a reviewer to the standard of "objectivity" when evaluating a show, much less a viewer, but the corollary to that is that one should not frame one's opinions on such matters as if they were objective. It is not because people's standards are low that other people think more highly of the show and its characters than you; they just genuinely find them more interesting and emotionally affecting than you and others do.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I think James Beckett's review of last week's episode does a good job of evaluating DiTF's strengths and weaknesses overall. While I haven't always agreed with his assessments of the show, frankly, I think his coverage of the show has been the best balanced of this site, showing a real understanding what fans of the show enjoy about it, while not glossing over the concerns that Jacob and Zac have brought up.

I have no problem with someone not finding the show interesting, but I find it irritating when (some of) the show's critics either assume ignorance on the part of the fans of the show (something to the effect of "Well they wouldn't enjoy it if that had watched Evangelion...") or couch their argument with the implication of "It is just not good/interesting, objectively speaking". I don't think it is fair or sensible to hold a reviewer to the standard of "objectivity" when evaluating a show, much less a viewer, but the corollary to that is that one should not frame one's opinions on such matters as if they were objective. It is not because people's standards are low that other people think more highly of the show and its characters than you; they just genuinely find them more interesting and emotionally affecting than you and others do.

Sure, but i don't think it should be dismissed that some people might actually have their opinions regarding a particular piece of media significantly influenced if they happened to be exposed to "better works" or if they are have a better understanding of storytelling in general. Yes, not all the time does the reason a person does not like a work you do comes down to the other person's standards being lower; but that can't always be used as an excuse to ignore a lack of critical thinking. Like whatever you like; but if you're going to make something seem much more impressive than it really is just because you like it, then you should be able to argue and prove your points well enough. If the argument sounds like baseless praise, of course some people are going to come to the conclusion that the person' standards must be either low or they've not been exposed to enough of that content. Prove through strong arguments why the thing you like has value and why that the value is intrinsic to good storytelling. People say that DITF explores a lot of themes in a very interesting way, but asked how these themes are explored in a way beyond it's most superficial detail, most fans can't provide a substantial argument that is illustrated by the writing of the show. If you're going to say something is interesting then PROVE IT; if you can't do then why expect others to uphold your stance to any abject validity? Trying to hand-wave people's liking stuff only by "they just genuinely find them more interesting and emotionally affecting than you and others do" doesn't always fly. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree that we are all affected differently by media; but there's no denying that when there is recurring pattern of people liking the same shit that does nothing but the bare minimum, sometimes you do have to question the level of those people's expectations.
Humblemumble01

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

This also needs to go the other way too because I have seen too many people try to dismiss criticism of this show (and every other show for that matter) by saying lines like "You just don't appreciate the deep symbolism of the show" when in reality they could actually understand it well but genuinely thinks their are some storytelling issues that's affecting their ability to get invested in the show. At least freaking try to it from others perspective.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
It's not really the norm in Western society either. If it was, you think LBGT people would be so hungry for (proper) representation?

To be fair, no amount of representation is good enough for some people. People complained there were white people in Black Panther at all and how the entire cast should have been 100% black.

But yeah, I wouldn't say it's a norm in western media. Maybe the act of people complaining about it on the internet is the norm, but not in the shows themselves. Most fans of a show don't care about anything other than being entertained, and given Franxx garners thousands of posts per episodes on places like Reddit, MAL, and /a/, it seems to do just that, and any complaints about it being alienating are a minority.

Honestly, I thought anime fans would be more aware of how little representation actually matters in media. Most of us aren't Japanese, yet we watch a medium where 99% of the time it is entirely about Japanese people and culture. Stuff like "seeing ourselves on the screen" clearly isn't an issue in our enjoyment of a piece of media.

Last edited by Chester McCool on Sun May 06, 2018 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
we love lain wrote:
Sure, but i don't think it should be dismissed that some people might actually have their opinions regarding a particular piece of media significantly influenced if they happened to be exposed to "better works" or if they are have a better understanding of storytelling in general. Yes, not all the time does the reason a person does not like a work you do comes down to the other person's standards being lower; but that can't always be used as an excuse to ignore a lack of critical thinking. Like whatever you like; but if you're going to make something seem much more impressive than it really is just because you like it, then you should be able to argue and prove your points well enough. If the argument sounds like baseless praise, of course some people are going to come to the conclusion that the person' standards must be either low or they've not been exposed to enough of that content. Prove through strong arguments why the thing you like has value and why that the value is intrinsic to good storytelling. People say that DITF explores a lot of themes in a very interesting way, but asked how these themes are explored in a way beyond it's most superficial detail, most fans can't provide a substantial argument that is illustrated by the writing of the show. If you're going to say something is interesting then PROVE IT; if you can't do then why expect others to uphold your stance to any abject validity? Trying to hand-wave people's liking stuff only by "they just genuinely find them more interesting and emotionally affecting than you and others do" doesn't always fly. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree that we are all affected differently by media; but there's no denying that when there is recurring pattern of people liking the same shit that does nothing but the bare minimum, sometimes you do have to question the level of those people's expectations.

I have already (very) briefly talked about some of the themes the show goes over, and linked you to a much more analytical thinker than any I have seen on this site (and BY FAR anyone who provides 'criticism' to the show) who does an hour-long unbiased analysis for each episode. Yet all you have said in attack of the show is surface level criticism (ie X is bad, boring, mediocre, etc.) with no depth behind it. How can someone try to engage in discourse when you haven't given anything to talk about in the first place? I'm not here to change your opinion, as you haven't provided any basis to your opinion besides: it just is. You claim the show doesn't explore themes, is mediocre, has poor characters, claim it is not well written, yet haven't provided any reasoning for it. That's just claiming your opinion as fact. I could tell you that Fomoffu is garbage, has poor writing, poor characters, or any of the other things you claim (I don't by the way just using it as an example), but why would you even entertain that thought? I haven't given you reason to, just as you haven't given me reason to take any of your points into consideration.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
we love lain wrote:

I have already (very) briefly talked about some of the themes the show goes over, and linked you to a much more analytical thinker than any I have seen on this site (and BY FAR anyone who provides 'criticism' to the show) who does an hour-long unbiased analysis for each episode. Yet all you have said in attack of the show is surface level criticism (ie X is bad, boring, mediocre, etc.) with no depth behind it. How can someone try to engage in discourse when you haven't given anything to talk about in the first place? I'm not here to change your opinion, as you haven't provided any basis to your opinion besides: it just is. You claim the show doesn't explore themes, is mediocre, has poor characters, claim it is not well written, yet haven't provided any reasoning for it. That's just claiming your opinion as fact. I could tell you that Fomoffu is garbage, has poor writing, poor characters, or any of the other things you claim (I don't by the way just using it as an example), but why would you even entertain that thought? I haven't given you reason to, just as you haven't given me reason to take any of your points into consideration.

How are you going to criticize me for lacking in detail in my criticism when you have given me the exact same superficial discussion of the themes you've brought up. You discuss anything in your comment; you just mentioned some themes without even delving into how the show approaches them. I'm asking YOU why the writing of darling in the franxx is good; NOT your youtube source. I've been following that guy you linked me to for a while now. I admire his capacity to break down the darling in the franxx episodes but i still ultimately find his analysis overwrought and lacking in demonstrating how the writing of the show actually explores the elements he delves into. If you have the audacity to criticize me for not "engaging in proper discourse" how about you, in your own words, describe to me why Darling in the Franxx theme exploration is so perspicacious. I don't care what that youtuber says if he does not prove that the writing justifies all of his analysis and theory crafting, which is what most of his videos boil down to. They are dense and insightful yes, but i literally just told that i can do that exact same shit with 3d kanojo. I could take that show apart and dissect the psychology of Iroha's actions for over an hour, but it means nothing if the show itself doesn't effectively utilize Iroha's psychology in profound and meaningful ways. I can't believe your actual rebuttal was to tell me to use another source to help justify your claims and then you have the cajones to tell me that my comment is lacking when all i said in my comment was that most fans of the show who go on about the themes of the show are unable to articulate why Darling in the franxx is as genius as they say it is. That when it really comes down to it, most fans don't have much to show for it. Where did i even attack Franxx with buzzwords like
boring, mediocre, and bad as you claim I have in the comment you have quoted? Come on now. Don't strawman my argument; if you were going to say something like that you should have actually used the comment where i "(very) briefly" criticized the show. Just because you found someone out there with intellect to validate your opinion doesn't make anybody else's claims less valid. Hell, the guy for the most part breaks down the details that make up the episodes of the show rather than the actual storytelling, which is one of the key aspects missing in his analysis. Once again, you should be validating your own opinion by yourself. If you can tell substantially argue to me without copying and pasting arguments made by other people why Darling in the franxx explores its themes with depth and ingenuity, then i'd more than happy to drop a diatribe by why i disagree, but don't try to uphold me to a standard that even you aren't meeting; that's very hypocritical. I'm not trying to be rude but I'm calling it as i see it. Give me something and i will give you something back; don't link me to a youtuber to parrot your thoughts.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
(You discuss anything in your comment)
*You didn't discuss anything in your comment*

(If you can tell substantially argue to me without)
*If you can substantially argue without*

(by why i disagree,)
*about why i disagree*
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
We'll see what DITF does for its remaining episodes, but honestly, the "monster" / human heterosexual relationship to make babies mecha symbolism thing is done way better in Eureka Seven, so I think people were just hoping for something different here.

I still have hope since they seem to still be pushing Ikuno pining for Ichigo in the ending credits of the most recent episode, so ... it would be pretty lame to have that still being shown and then just dropping that plot point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4