• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Forum Rules 06/29/2018

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where all the people in this thread expressing concern about mods having "too much power" got the idea that they have or should have any say in how ANN should be running its forums or how its staffers should be conducting themselves. If you don't like the rules or staff conduct feel free to leave rather than whine about it.

I do have a question though: will there be retroactive enforcement of these rules? Because I feel like there are a lot of people who would qualify as having broken them still using the forums.
Trendo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Trendo wrote:
Is it still okay to call other user as pedophiles because they like some animes with lolis?

I'm pretty sure that was never OK.
Okay, let see how the mods will react when Maitetsu is released on steam and how they will react when the discussion board is online
Punished_Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
I don't know where all the people in this thread expressing concern about mods having "too much power" got the idea that they have or should have any say in how ANN should be running its forums or how its staffers should be conducting themselves. If you don't like the rules or staff conduct feel free to leave rather than whine about it.

I agree, dude. I can't believe some people have the GALL to express their opinions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Punished_Nitsugalego wrote:

I agree, dude. I can't believe some people have the GALL to express their opinions

I can believe it, it's just a very funny misunderstanding to have.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Trendo wrote:
Okay, let see how the mods will react when Maitetsu is released on steam and how they will react when the discussion board is online

Well, since it's releasing on Steam, shouldn't it not be 18+ anyways?
This is getting off topic though.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
With greater power come greater responsibility.

The responsibility of keep ANN welcome to everybody regardless of age, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation, and physical and mental ability are welcome to come here and enjoy fandom together like is the rules of any civilized forum,

That also means keep ANN open to people that will disagree with opinions and reviews from ANN staff as long as this disagreements don't imply personal attacks.
Don't forget that people, and even more people from other countries have a different world and cultural perspective from people from your country.

I personalty don't care a bit about politics on anime. I think is better to keep political discussions out of anime.
But sometimes the biggest discussions come from people have different political opinion from others.

I hope that this review of rules doesn't mean censorship will apply to people having different political views. Even if i don't care about politics in anime, i care allot if censorship happens. Living on a country that had a dark past of censorship, that one of the things i hate the most. If this site become that way, I'll just leave and find another anime news and review site.

I only wish that the staff keep ANN open to everybody regardless age, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation, and physical and mental ability and also political views as long as they don't make attacks on any age, religion, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual identity or sexual orientation and also political views.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Bravo to the new rules. Marginalized people means people who have been traditionally oppressed by legal systems (e.g. LGBTQIA, African-Americans, the disabled, etc.)

The intent of the new rules is to empower mods to rid the site of white supremacists, misogynists, & homophobes who derail conversation with bad faith arguments or using well-known dogwhistles. Nobody wants an ideological echo chamber & believing in the Laffer curve where it is on-topic is not going to get people banned.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
krymsun wrote:
Using the term "marginalized people" is needlessly political.
First of all, does that mean it's okay to make people who are not considered marginalized feel unwelcome?

The Rules wrote:
Anime News Network is a community brought together by our love of and interest in anime, manga, and video games. All people regardless of their age, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation, and physical and mental ability are welcome to come here and enjoy fandom together.

krymsun wrote:
As the wording stands it sounds like the moderators can just arbitrarily decide who deserves protection and who doesn't based on their own viewpoints.

The Rules wrote:
The moderators and staff reserve the right to remove anyone actively creating an unwelcome environment at their own discretion.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I hope that this review of rules doesn't mean censorship will apply to people having different political views.

Well, white supremacy is a political view last I checked, so there's no need to worry about this: it definitely will.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Zac, i definitely approve (just reading some of the comments in this very thread shows how necessary this was...)! I'm one of the (former) regular posters who's pretty much given up on the forums because of the increasingly toxic atmosphere and just being sick and tired of the same couple of posters derailing every other thread with their offensive, repetitive drivel. So it's nice to see ANN making an active effort to improve things.

This has been one of my favourite places on the internet a couple of years ago and now i've got some hope that it might be able to get back on that list with time. Personally, i trust in the staff to be able to enforce the rules responsibly and help to turn (back) this forum into a more welcoming place.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Genuine questions regarding:
Quote:
• Posters' contributions should not create an atmosphere that is unwelcome to marginalized peoples. The moderators and staff reserve the right to remove anyone actively creating an unwelcome environment at their own discretion.

Some people consider term "trap" as offensive. I thought I saw some of that debate here too. Personally I use sometimes humorously and sometimes affectionately. Is that allowed or not?

Some people consider the term Shonen Jump Weekly offensive, is that allowed or not?
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Yeah, this is basically giving the mods license to go "I don't agree with what you're saying, so you're banned".
No, it isn't. What is actually does is give the mods license to go "even if you're not expressing it specifically, we can all tell you're a racist/mysoginist/homophobe, so you're banned"

Frankly, that bothers the hell out of me - the possibility of being banned not because of what I actually say or do, but because the moderators think I might be someone who they personally find objectionable.

There's a huge difference between banning based on actual actions and demonstrated behaviors, and banning based on assumptions.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
• Posters' contributions should not create an atmosphere that is unwelcome to marginalized peoples. The moderators and staff reserve the right to remove anyone actively creating an unwelcome environment at their own discretion.

Some people consider term "trap" as offensive. I thought I saw some of that debate here too. Personally I use sometimes humorously and sometimes affectionately. Is that allowed or not?

Some people consider the term Shonen Jump Weekly offensive, is that allowed or not?

"Trap" is not allowed here.

DerekL1963 wrote:

Frankly, that bothers the hell out of me - the possibility of being banned not because of what I actually say or do, but because the moderators think I might be someone who they personally find objectionable.

No, it will be based on what a person says or does here on the Anime News Network forums. We're just not allowing weaseling around it anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

There's a huge difference between banning based on actual actions and demonstrated behaviors, and banning based on assumptions.

The reasons why a mod would think you are posting bad faith, marginalizing viewpoints are precisely the things you say and do on the website, whether they're explicit or not.

This concern about "abuse of power" on the Anime News Network forums™ is deeply hilarious to me. Forum users are not voters in a governmental body. If mods want to ban you for far more arbitrary reasons than those outlined in the new rules they're not violating any norm or law by doing so, both of which they have the prerogative to define and enforce at will.

Last edited by 鏡 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
configspace wrote:
Quote:

"Trap" is not allowed here.

Ok, so what term do we use? I mean honestly there are many many characters that are not explicitly transgender or transvestites that falls into this category.

BTW my "person who cares about social justice" got expanded by ANN forum to Shounen Jump Weekly, lol. So my question remains for that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21