• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.I.C.O. -Incarnation- Gets New English Dub on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
This is great news because that old dub was on a level of amateurish incompetence that I hadn't seen in a long time. The only downside to this is that probably that old dub is now going to vanish and never be seen again. That simply cannot happen!! All varient dubs must be preserved for all time no matter how bad they are (dubs like this that were officially released using all of the wrong takes are especially historically significant). We cannot let history try to deny the fact that this dub did in fact exist.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

Now, I would like Netflix to make a re-dub for Little Witch Academia in latin-american Spanish, preferably in Mexico, since the one they made in Chile wasn't good enough in my opinion, which is weird since Chile used to make good dubs for anime like Orphen and Zoids.

I agree with you. In this case, it is completely inexplicable that DINT, the Chilean studio that did the dub, has fallen to such a low level of quality when they had previously done excellent dubs, like the Avatar series and Zoids. This can also be explained by the fact that DINT used novice actors in voice acting, rather than veterans.

And this is not exclusive from LWA either: Many Chilean dubs done for Netflix, such as Iron Fist, Lost in Space and Okja sports really awful voice acting work. Maybe that was the reason why Netflix had stop using them since Flavors of Youth and Jushinki Pandora, both anime works dubbed in Argentina instead.
Mateo Bonavento

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
I hope they do the same with dubs in other languages, like the Little Witch Academia's Latin American Spanish dub, which was very criticized and with an awful translation, thick Chilean accents, etc.

My only problem with that dub was the girl voicing Akko. I couldn't stand her. She sounds particularly atrocious when she screams. I didn't make it past the first episode because of her, but everyone else seemed to sound okay (I don't mind accents unless it's Castillian Spanish which I avoid like the plague).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
Diorgenson4321 wrote:
My number one question is: WHY did Netflix allowed some no-name (if we're being honest) company to dub the anime to begin with? Bangzoom is the studio that dubs most of their anime, and they do a good job at that, so why was this not given to them in the first place? Well, at least now I can enjoy this anime in English.

Yeah, it was very strange and came out of nowhere after all the times they'd gone with the experienced studio like Bang Zoom. Especially with B: The Beginning getting released at the same time and using them and coming out with their fantastic dub.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
One of the actors who was in the original dub responded on Reddit regarding the situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/9m6wkn/aico_incarnations_has_been_redubbed_on_netflix/e7e6005/

Apparently they had done a lot of retakes, almost half the show, but Netflix didn't use any of them.

Yeah I saw that too. While it's impossible to tell how much improvement that would have brought, given all the problems, it's still a really bad job on Netflix's part that the version with all those retakes wasn't what was used for the first time it got posted to at least give that cast their best performances.

Bang Zoom is great and likely should have gotten it the first time so this was the best solution, but at the same time I can still definitely feel for those actors too that the version we all heard was one that didn't even get to include their retakes they'd already done because they knew and had already given a better version to Netflix that got ignored, especially if they really redid almost half of the show before it was even released.

That should have been the version that Netflix premiered the show with but since that didn't happen and they probably would have just left it as is at this point, if not for the decision to have Bang Zoom create a new one, and since Bang Zoom is so good, this is still really cool. This should make the show a much better watch along with the always good BONES animation.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote
I watched the redub, and it's really good. Erica Mendez as Kaede (best girl) scored all the points with me.

Never watched the original trash dub. Makes me happy that I put off the show, because I was going to watch it just to hear how crappy it is.

Glad that other atrocious garbage dub is flushed out once and for all. Hopefully Netflix has learnt their lesson; they should stick with the REAL pros from now on.

EDIT: Starting up new talent pools is cool and all, but seriously - couldn't they have started off with a much less intense show? Mellow shows are a better way of testing the waters with newer VAs. And of course, the director is entirely responsible for the final product as well. The original Aico dub makes it very obvious that whoever the hell was in charge of direction can't do their job to save their life.
Winger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Diorgenson4321 wrote:
My number one question is: WHY did Netflix allowed some no-name (if we're being honest) company to dub the anime to begin with? Bangzoom is the studio that dubs most of their anime, and they do a good job at that, so why was this not given to them in the first place? Well, at least now I can enjoy this anime in English.

Netflix just outsourced the production of the dub to Iyuno Media Group's hands. And the results we already know.

Netflix also does that with SDI Media, VSI Group and BTI Studios to most of the dubs around the world, with exceptions being in the english dubs, that are usually directed handled by Netflix itself.
You can take the examples of Fate/Apocrypha or Sword Gai, that were dubbed by SDI and VSI worldwide, with exception being the english dubs, both produced by BangZoom.

Also, they should redub AICO in brazilian portuguese too. The brazilian dub was did by amateur actors and get a lot of criticism too, but Netflix seems to doesn't give a f*ck to Brazil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3