• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Box Set 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
Posts deleted. Please mind your language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SakuraFox512

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
EndGears wrote:
Cause that's really what this post and other people who suggest this path feel to me. It's a way to make Brotherhood appear as better and just further place the original adaptation into complete irrelevancy. Sorry that you feel FMAB's beginning wasn't up to par, that really doesn't give you the right to use another adaptation to better another one. FMAB is more if an adaptation of the manga than FMA ever was. The orignal's beginning is like it is because the staff of that show had the sense to greatly expand on the manga. Hughes was considered a throwaway character in the manga. Arawaka literally said she didn't expect Hughes to be loved so much and she had to add more Hughes stuff because the original adaptation did so much with him. Nina was nowhere near as important in the manga or FMAB and served a completely different purpose in the original and her death was better because the original greatly expanded on her character.

(...)

I really have no problem with people who prefer Brotherhood. I do have a problem with people who try to shoehorn in original adaptation content because they want to make Brotherhood look better. That's what so disrespectful. The original adaptation deserves to be watched as a standalone. It's not supposed to be used as some weird chimera hybrid. The manga/FMAB has zero right to its content.

Let people decide what they want to like more instead of trying to glorify what is already now considered to be the best anime of all time these days.That's pretty pathetic if FMAB needs another show to make it better. The last thing the original needs is for it to be just considered as just supplementary material for FMAB. It's already been disparaged enough. An anime that was ranked 1 on MAL, viewed as a classic, ranked 1 in Japan in the two years it wasn't even airing, and considered to be the best anime of its time being treated like this is beyond disrespectful imo. I'd actually prefer people just outright skipping the original adaptation than doing this hamfisted method of shoehorning content.

You're taking this entirely too personally. Nobody said nor suggested trying to place the original adaptation into irrelevancy (which would be a fool's errand anyway, 2003 is firmly entrenched as a classic among 2000s anime). I never personally suggested ignoring 2003 in favor of Brotherhood, either. Which is why I suggest that people pick up the remainder of 2003 after the 'break point' I mentioned -- FMA 2003 still has its own concepts that Brotherhood doesn't which are perfectly worthwhile, considering its more philosophical bend, its approach towards making sacrifices, and so on. Watching both in the manner I described damages nothing, though -- people can keep plenty of the differences straight, and it's not a matter of trying to make Brotherhood 'look better', it's about making FMA as a whole a wonderful experience. If anything, breaking at the midway point accentuates the differences the adaptations ultimately have from each other, and makes their differing tones and approaches something easier to mull over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3