• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Brilliant! I was curious how the negotiations between Itadori and Sukuna would play out and it was handled beautifully. It was funny, easy to follow and didn't depend on bogus "magic raspberry, raspberry" nonsense. I really love the world-building. Very much like Dorohedoro where the world-building is wonderfully bizarre but you can follow it and they don't pull mumbo-jumbo out of their butts to advance plot.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote

The mysterious character speaking to the curses now has a name: Getou. He has tools which curses can use against the sorcerers, so it's likely he's been opposing the sorcerers for a long time or somehow picked up trinkets which could be used against them. The spirit who gets excited starts inducing spontaneous human combustion, so Gojou has a bit of work to do now that he's under attack. The server who quit and ran out of the restaurant might well have some spiritual affinity of his own, but I don't think we'll see much more of what is ostensibly a bit-part character.

Sukuna has a pact with Itadori now. So far it looks like the pact isn't as unfavourable to Itadori as it seems at first glance: one minute of full control with Sukuna agreeing not to kill or injure anyone during that time. Not sure if this applies only to humans or to curses as well. Gojou suspected it was a pact which brought Itadori back to life, but with the second condition being Itadori not being able to remember the terms he can't do much more than surmise at the potential ramifications.

Fushiguro did the honourable thing and brought something back to the inmate's mother for her to mourn. He probably did what Itadori would have done had he not had his heart ripped out. Not sure what he's doing putting his fingers through concrete, but it looks like he might have figured out something new with the advise of his seniors.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 06

A pretty cool introduction to the world of jujutsu. I always find it interesting how a shounen franchise explains their fighting mechanics, as I see martial arts in general to be a metaphor of how to learn, train, and hone certain skills in life. And in turn, all that training and mastery of said skills will have some kind of benefit to help you through things, make you stronger, etc. I thought it was hilarious how Yuuji started naming attacks from other titles. But apparently, the mangaka is a fan of a lot of those, especially Togashi's YYH and HXH.

With the hit they put on Gojou, I'm starting to wonder how many bad guys exist in their world. In most cases where big groups of good guys exist, the bad guys exist in lower numbers, but are really strong. I feel like this might be one of those where there are lots of good guys and an equal amount, or more, bad guys, but most of the bads are low-to-mid level tough, and the special grade ones are mostly gonna' be Sukua-Finger-Users.

I'm also wondering if there's a specific group of baddies that are an anti-Jujutsu squad trying to find Sukuna fingers or something. The manga is only 13 volumes, so far, and I'm hoping the manga-to-anime ratio works out to where there isn't too long a gap between anime seasons.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
I laughed out loud at the shout-out to Hikaru no Go at the end of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8GulBSj-kvvvvvvv
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote

This is why I ended up watching the show. Lots of visual pyrotechnics with a bit of surreal humour thrown in (it's Gojou Satoru after all). Can't expect this every episode, but when the animators go all out it's worth watching and hoping for more.

How does one go about sealing infinity? Getou and Mahito have a plan, but it has to be one with a good shot of success since it appears they only have one opportunity (they've picked Halloween of all dates). That appears to be quite a distance away, since the timeline of this episode is set in early summer.

Jougo can talk and survive as just a disembodied head, so curses seem to have a different kind of physiology despite their humanoid appearance. Using the head as a football appears to have angered him considerably, but with no fatal side effects. Exorcism appears to be the only way to get rid of curses, or doing what Sukuna did and annihilating them with sheer magnitude of cursed energy.

The other students will be back next week. Not sure how the trailer squares with the episode title of "boredom" though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 07: Assault

Well, that entire episode was pretty much just Gojou's badassery. I'm really liking the fight mechanics in this series. You got your basic moves in physical and spiritual curse energy attacks, and then you've got the advanced techniques in Domain Expansions. I've always found any kind of reality/dimensional bending type move to be the coolest, 'cause who wouldn't wanna' be able to do that?

Other than the really slick animation and further explanation of jujutsu, there's not much else that advances. But I'm totally okay with just the "eye candy" (get it?). I can see how Gojou's Infinity stuff would make him near impossible to defeat. But if the bad guys already have somewhat of a plan to take him out, anyway, my guess is they found a loophole in his ability or someone that can cancel it out.

I wonder if there are teacher characters other than Gojou (and maybe the principal), though? I feel like we're gonna' start getting deeper into the Jujutsu Tech staff ranks for the exchange event training.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote

The episode is initially misleading, it looks like the students are in Kyoto for the exchange event when they're really there for a pre-event meet and greet. It's a good excuse to introduce Maki's sister, as well as a musclehead with an idol fetish who happens to be extremely good at exorcisms to boot.

While they were at it, there was more than just a casual mention that Getou is infamous amongst the Tokyo and Kyoto schools for something he did one year before the events of this series. Gojou Satoru's brief chat with the Kyoto Headmaster also confirms how much he loathes the conservative wing of the exorcists, as well as his suspicions the Headmaster had a hand in arranging for Itadori Yuuji's death by incident.

With the "pleasantries" out of the way, Itadori Yuuji continues his rehabilitation with a new mission. The man accompanying him is mentioned in the official website for those interested, while it looks like the next curse to get the spotlight is the scarred Mahito, together with the ordinary student who can see him.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote

New story arc featuring Mahito. An interesting curse; he's happy to talk to humans who can see him provided they don't upset him like the three hoodlums in the cinema. His powers are disconcerting though, the ability to kill humans through physical disfigurement and then bringing them back as curses means he potentially has an unlimited source of "ammunition" to work with in Tokyo.

The boy Junpei has the Sight, but he's also one of the many bullied students in Japan who has resorted to not attending school to rid himself of the burden. He has a grudge against those who've bullied him, but I'm not sure he can learn the curse techniques he's hoping for from Mahito. Even if he could, even the basics would mark him as a legitimate target for elimination by the Sorcerer guild.

Unlike the last few episodes, this episode is more of a build-up towards future events. Nanami is another oddball in the myriad ranks of the sorcerer's guild, but he's extremely skilled in his own right. I can't say I approve of his teaching methods, but he clearly had enough confidence in Itadori when he gives a lecture while Itadori is in battle at the same time.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote

This arc is coming along nicely. Two separate threads: one featuring the bullied student Yoshino and the other featuring Mahito. Most of the action comes from the latter, but the former holds the key to resolving everything since Yoshino's help or hindrance is going to decide how this arc eventually pans out.

Interesting point of view from Mahito. If you can freely manipulate the souls of others, it's not difficult reaching the conclusion he has arrived with regard to that chicken and egg question. What's not so pleasant is the level of communication these curses have, right now he's doing a fine job at manipulating Yoshino into committing cold-blooded murder.

Duel between Mahito and Nanami is tilting towards the former, but the latter is going into "overtime" mode. His office worker stereotype is amusing, but it makes him look silly if he can't finish the job. He's certainly formidable enough not to fall victim to Mahito's ability straight away, but he's definitely a goner if more contact is made.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
I was a little bit confused by the opening scene. Although I didn't realize it right away, I guess it was a flashback and I'm guessing the bullies who beat Yoshino were the same three guys who got zapped in the theatre as opposed to a collection of different bullies. To tell you the truth, I'm not super keen on the amount of screen time that Mahito is getting. I feel like I've barely seen our main cast in action so it's a little annoying to see a fairly prominent battle with a new character and one that frankly I think is the least interesting we've been introduced to so far. Purely a subjective opinion, of course, but that's how I feel.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote

Overtime mode ended the duel surprisingly quickly. Nanami will probably regret not finishing off Mahito when he had the chance, but his monologue later probably indicated he couldn't have done it even if he tried. Spilling the beans on how his technique works is never a good idea when the opponent lives to fight another day and has time to figure out countermeasures should they cross paths again.

Who would have thought Gojou's movie marathon course would help Itadori in the most unexpected way. He and Junpei hit it off quite well now that they have something in common to talk about, the rest of it is Itadori's natural affinity for making friends.

The finger was certainly planted by either Mahito or Getou, so it's used as the trigger for Junpei to take revenge against the principal bully who forced him to forego school participation. Mahito certainly taught Junpei enough for him to easily kill the bully had Itadori not intervened, so the next episode will see the two recently minted friends face off against each other.

This week's post-episode vignette is either a trivial homage to something, or a teaser of what's to come based on the footage. Unable to tell based on current information, but the latter would be nice.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote

Looks like one more episode before this arc is finished. This week was full of action and next one promises to be the same with the climatic battle.

Junpei lost his chance for revenge and he gets killed for good measure. A tragic figure, all the more so because there was a future where he and Itadori would be enrolled in the same school. Was it for the better? As far as Itadori is concerned, he failed to save his new friend but at least stopped him from becoming a murderer.

Mahito cannot transform Itadori because Sukuna is permanently inside Mahito and is too strong to transform. To top that off, all attacks from Itadori directly attack Mahito's soul so he can't just transform his injuries away since they're deeply engraved into him. Now that Nanami is on board, Mahito is in serious trouble unless he goes all out against the two of them (even if he can't transform them, he has to outright kill them if he wants to walk out).

Brief cameo from the one of the other students. Ino was it? He's not listed in the official website as a character (yet?). Based on the comments, he's almost qualified for grade-1 but needs a recommendation. Only reason why he's not pleased with being left alone is the tedium involved in killing all of the transformed humans rather than his life being at stake. Maybe viewers will see him again with a proper introduction sometime in the future.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote

Good way to finish the season. One last action set-piece and some character development thrown in for good measure.

If Mahito had the experience of his peers, neither Itadori nor Nanami would have survived the fight. The two of them were barely hanging on before he decided to pull out the trump card. Unfortunately for Mahito, lack of understanding of how his domain works backfired big time when Sukuna is involved.

Interesting to see how Nanami changed his mind about his previous profession and made a career U-turn. It's more complex than just "everything I learnt is shit". It makes him more human as well, since he isn't just a stereotypical 9-5 worker who happens to be capable of exorcism.

Next quarter starts the festival. Itadori will see his fellow schoolmates again, but diving into the den of sorcerers who really want him dead post-haste is going to make for interesting viewing.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote

Two weeks off, and the series returns with the main event. The exchange has been telegraphed for weeks but it now starts for real.

I laughed for over half the episode because of how absurd and surreal it was at times. Unsurprisingly there was a huge disconnect between how Itadori perceived the reactions of his schoolmates and what actually happened. The other hilarious thing was the reaction from the Kyoto students on given the order to kill Itadori from their principal. They're going ahead with it if next week's trailer is any indication, but Itadori isn't the same mere first year the principal has made him out to be.

As for Jougo, Getou and Mahito, it looks like they're planning something big during the event and Gojou Satoru is wary of it (although he's not entirely sure what they're up to).

More setup for now, but next week should be the first of hopefully many episodes of flashy action scenes as Itadori needs to stay alive against repeated murder attempts.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:44 am Reply with quote
I suspect that the whole surprise reveal thing was actually just to screw with the old man principal, not actually about the fellow students.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14