• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
You know it's a great adaption when they're able to spin out anime original content that fits and enhances the source material.

It may be "fake" but Yor is radiating some strong "newlywed" mom and wife energy. Also, Loid in that white t-shirt. These two lucked out with each other. And just look at how Yor already adores Anya.

Good thing Anya's telepathy helps her get a clue faster than normal. And we see that she's perfect to take to art museums, a master artist, and that her powers can overwhelm her with too many negative thoughts or when she's focused on trying to find someone. But she's also more clever than she seems at first glance.

I see Yor relates everything to assassination/killing. Actually, it seems like assassination/murder turns her on...

So...how superhuman is Yor that she crushed her little brothers' ribs with a hug?

The family that fights crime together, stays together. And Loid for the first time feels what it is to hear gratitude and to have a family that reinforces you. Also that granny was a good hand-shaker.

The ED with proper animation was great! I loved it showing off the supporting cast and the Forger Family bliss at the end. Also, the dancing!
Dumas1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Gotta give props ─ serious props ─ for including Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. A childhood favorite!

Glad to see another fan who recognized that tune. It's nice to hear a part that isn't "O Fortuna," and "Estuan Interius" happens to be one of my favourite pieces of the work. It took me a little time to track it down, though, since I hadn't heard it in a few years.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:59 pm Reply with quote
While I don't find the music memorable, whoever storyboarded the anime and ending vid outdid themselves. A lot of styles mixed in 90 seconds.

Also, if the "family" continues like this I think I find them more appealing than the Gintama cast who always rely on really dirty jokes and their bonding took over 70 volumes to complete.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Great episode, definitely a step back up from last week. Interesting to learn that Anya can't really control her telepathy, at least not yet (hopefully).

nobahn wrote:
Gotta give props ─ serious props ─ for including Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. A childhood favorite!

Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, of course! That's why it sounded so familiar. Haven't listened to that in probably 10+ years! Thanks for the reminder =)

yuna49 wrote:

Actually I've been rather disappointed with the OP/ED music for recent series. Haven't heard anything lately as good as these or this.

Hopefully we'll get something with ALI again soon now that the drummer situation is in the past.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:54 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the extra scenes they added in this episode
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:51 pm Reply with quote
How adorable was the apartment tour? And Loid being absolutely ruthless when Anya claimed to have helped with various chores was hilarious. (Also, Loid totally letting his "just for the mission" mask slip there by baking various sweet treats to welcome Yor).

Anya figuring out how to focus Loid's attention in the right direction without letting on about her powers is a good indication that she's going to be a scary manipulator in the future when she grows up a little. If they stick it our long enough, Loid and Yor are in real trouble when she's a teenager.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I originally wrote:
Dumas1 wrote:
[...]
Glad to see another fan who recognized that tune. It's nice to hear a part that isn't "O Fortuna," and "Estuan Interius" happens to be one of my favourite pieces of the work. It took me a little time to track it down, though, since I hadn't heard it in a few years.
Covnam wrote:
[...]
Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, of course! That's why it sounded so familiar. Haven't listened to that in probably 10+ years! Thanks for the reminder =)
[...]
I just wanted to spread the love! Very Happy Mr. Green Anime hyper
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I had to dethrone Kaguya-sama's excellent ED, but SPY x FAMILY's ED is on an absolute other level. When I heard the song in the trailer, I knew I needed to hear the whole thing. And now that I've seen it with the ending visuals, it's somehow even better.

it's one of those EDs that while watching it, immediately injects me with endorphins, covers me in a warm coat of feelings, and puts me to tears all at the same time. In short, I love it, and if it can somehow be beat by something as my ED of the year, I would be flabbergasted.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
I am sorry OP but i find this indeed better than the second coming, it is anime at it very best, setting a new standard in every way. I am encouraged beyond words to see such fine work happening in 2022, and it gives me hope for the years to come. The way this show uses every high standard of art, design, character development and story telling is a joy. All of the characters are good, fun and human. And the story is exciting as all heck. I have no reservations at all. I am a bit afraid of trials to come I expect, including the chance that he and she may find they are on opposite sides at "work" but their love and their wonderful kid will get them thru. Please keep going Studio and Director and thank you so much.

I am also encouraged to see that others like me see and recognize the genius of this show. Well done for them and for all of us. Let the fun continue.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That they send Henderson into some sort of elegance seizure...

My buddy called it an Ele-gasm, and frankly I think that may be what I roll with if it happens again.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
I couldn't keep myself from wondering where they were changing their clothes, even though I found the whole thing hilarious for its multi-level absurdity. I mean, it would seem a bit inelegant to strip down right there in the courtyard. Very Happy Maybe Loid and Yor are adept at quick-change artistry, but Anya certainly is not.

Dat KissKow army...
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
Kinda wished the episode didn't bother with trying to do a cliffhanger ending, is anyone going to leave the episode and think they'll fail getting?

Anyway this was really great. A lot of it is reminding me of full metal alchemist, the blend of wacky humour with lots of deformed face with the more serious/dramatic side is pretty similar, wonder if it was an heavy inspiration.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I couldn't keep myself from wondering where they were changing their clothes....
My thoughts exactly, and where were they coming from? And that top-hat, from the suitcase? Yor's tiny handbag?? But of course, it is an example of the dry humor woven into the show so subtly that at other points one might miss it. Like the delightfully goofy premise that Loid just happens to pick a telepathic kid and "bump into" the perfect woman for a spy's wife. And it's not just conveniently humorous as I'm sure we'll see how "Loid" comes to realize Anya is telepathic (I think he's almost there this Ep) and Yor isn't just some random "mousy" office-lady. She has serious and very odd skills...

meiam wrote:
... is anyone going to leave the episode and think they'll fail getting?....
Of course not, but I appreciate the writing not being blatant that is the case but manages to build the tension to keep the audience wondering how things will work out. The "foreshadowing" by the portrait falling does a nice job of that, though I think it is a "red herring" and might actually foreshadow the eventual end where the façade of the "perfect elite family" (they all look so natural) gives way to the reveal of the "perfect spy-family"... Wink

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun May 01, 2022 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
What an Elegant episode!

Hearing Henderson with a Japanese VA really sells the delivery of the "Elegance."

I love how even Henderson was freaked out about the alternative outfits. And that they didn't even plan on the animal rampage, it was completely random.

Yor in that ripped skirt and stockings did me in. Poor girl hates how much she terrifies people unknowingly. Also totally plausible that she learned pressure points from practicing "yoga."

It was fun seeing how despite them being a "fake" family, their responses felt so genuine and honest. Especially Anya's. Poor girl has some family issues so no wonder she loves Loid and Anya so much.

Man, Swan was a total sexist piece of @$%^. No wonder his wife divorced him and took their daughter. Any sympathy I might've had went away when he made Anya cry. Yor probably would've straight up killed him if Loid hadn't smashed the table Elegantly, left Elegantly, and let Henderson finish with a solid, Elegant, right hook.

A family portrait falling is definitely foreboding...but I'm rooting for the Forgers!
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I couldn't keep myself from wondering where they were changing their clothes, even though I found the whole thing hilarious for its multi-level absurdity. I mean, it would seem a bit inelegant to strip down right there in the courtyard. Very Happy Maybe Loid and Yor are adept at quick-change artistry, but Anya certainly is not.

Dat KissKow army...

Quick outfit changes are probably par the course for professional spies/assassins.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="The Scream Man"]
Quote:

My buddy called it an Ele-gasm, and frankly I think that may be what I roll with if it happens again.

You have no idea how much I wish I'd come up with that! I agree, that should be the official term.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20