• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen: From Villainess to Savior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacki Jing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments about my review and glad that people are still enjoying the show and Pride just being so precious and wonderful!
Jacki Jing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments about my review and glad that people are still enjoying the show and Pride just being so precious and wonderful!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Poor Pride is still killing these' boys' hearts with her kindness and still absolutely dense that they're in love with her.

I'm starting to understand how the less than savory aspects of this setting and what the royal family can do is because it was designed to setup Pride as the absolute villain from the game perspective so the original protagonist Tiara could defeat her and redeem the kingdom. It actually explains a lot.

I wonder if something will come out of Pride constantly being worried she'll turn into her original game self when she's acting absolutely contrary to that every episode. Feels like the story is still building up to something happening.

(Did Pride's chest get an upgrade during the time-skip?).
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:38 am Reply with quote
That fealty contract seems like a good way to keep crime down, but it's odd that there's nothing else besides that if the criminal isn't executed. It makes sense that they wouldn't need jails if you can just force a criminal not to commit crimes any more, but you'd think they'd have them do community service or something...

I wonder when Pride will begin to think that she really has changed her fate (if ever)...
Leo Martin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:27 am Reply with quote
Now im not a lawyer, but it sounds like Pride left a loophole in the contract where its okay to commit crimes if its for the sake of protecting Tiara. But i guess its not much of a loophole.
noriah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
That fealty contract seems like a good way to keep crime down, but it's odd that there's nothing else besides that if the criminal isn't executed. It makes sense that they wouldn't need jails if you can just force a criminal not to commit crimes any more, but you'd think they'd have them do community service or something....

I think these are punishments that are typically only used on high crimes like treason and attacking royalty, and the reason it sounds binary is in reference to previous precedent for crimes on the scale of damaging their relationships with other allied countries.
I also think that Pride was being rather lenient insofar as she let him go after having him sign a fealty contract, my hunch is that typically that would be a tool to make someone a direct servant of the crown. That would be rather like community service depending on the orders...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:35 am Reply with quote
Gilbert is a weird one. Previously he was skulking about and presently his fiancee is dying of a rare disease but between that we learned of his status as a hidden character, a bonus love interest for Tiara.

And then it gets weird because it is an Otome game. I thought Gilbert was the "adult" love interest for Tiara... because Otome game... but if his ability was afflicted in such a way he was either in the form of an old man or a 13 year old boy... Tiara is both robbing the cradle and stealing from the grave... because Otome game.
FuzzyDave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying your writeups Jacki! This is a fun little show with an endearing main character

I like that they're not just brushing off her past misdeeds as oh-that-was-someone-else-not-me , but allowing her to feel them as though she herself as she is now committed them. Makes her a more interesting protagonist.

(I do wish the animation was better though (even a little better would help (maybe bring it up to passable? (maybe? (possibly? (nudge nudge?))))))
Phoenix512

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
There was a throwaway line of Stale complaining that someone said he looked like Gilbert which was meant to be the reason why Arthur gave Stale a pair of glasses.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I can't find any connections between the character designs/original creator/animation for this series and The Vampire Dies in No Time. But is not Arthur the spitting image of young Ronaldo?? That's the most blatant example, but so many of these characters look to me like they just stepped out of Vampire. Smile

On another note, I recall a reviewer wondering in the Preview Guide who would name a child Stale (hey, it beats Pastry!). As it happens, my grandfather's first name was Staley, which is almost how the anime pronounces Stale. Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect a tragic love story with Gilbert of all characters but I'm here for it. Is his love interest voiced by Reina Ueda?

I really like how Arthur and Stale are bro's despite their mutual crush on Pride.

Pride slaying in dresses and formal knightwear.
Leo Martin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
Phoenix512 wrote:
There was a throwaway line of Stale complaining that someone said he looked like Gilbert which was meant to be the reason why Arthur gave Stale a pair of glasses.

I dont see the comparison. At best they sort of talk the same way sometimes.
But i guess that makes more sense. I though Arthur noticed he was nearsighted during sparring Shocked

The animation is kinda painfull. Probably gonna drop this or at least read the review first before deciding to watch it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:00 am Reply with quote
Pride looks amazing in that uniform.

Figures Pride would confront someone committing treason for the sake of love and then just make them dedicate the rest of their life to the kingdom. But good for Gilbert and Marianne, they look really cute together.

Older Stale just makes me want to see another time-skip. I mean, Kouki Uchiyama!?

It's kind of funny how while Stale and Arthur are crushing so hard on Pride, their bromance feels more relevant and focused on than any actual romance in the show. Though the reaction to Glibert going to town on kissing Pride's leg was priceless.

Tiara is surprisingly emotionally intuitive...just also a little too honest with her brother.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought those two had gotten engaged, if not married already, so that was a bit of a surprise.

Pride kind of justifies it a bit in the end, but she's trying so hard to not go down the wrong path that she's gone too far the other way it seems.

Arthur's healing power is definitely something desirable, but you'd think Gilbert being able to manipulate peoples ages (presuming he can make it permanent) would make him the most important/desirable person in the kingdom.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the contract really looks kind of horrifynig when you see it's effects act out on Val.

I didn't expect to see such a genuinely tortured and emotional performance from Junichi Suwabe here (at least as this character). Just Val having to understand that he actually cares about someone else because it's so foreign to him and lashing out because his mind can't comprehend it is...engrossing stuff. Also Fairouz Ai really nailing Pride's reaction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4