• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Brave Bang Bravern!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Well... that was quite an episode.... The cast is so well aware about the Isamu and Smith's tension,........
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of this episode was Smith's idea to try to communicate with Isami with boxing... only to realize that communication by beating the shit out of each other is something that only happens in fiction.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The Braven and Lewis connection didn't seem more obvious to me than seeing Lewis is a tokusatsu fan and the Toku hero he's a fan of looks and sounds like Bravern. They even have Lewis and Bravern pull the same pose.

Also the way he just pulls a 3D Printer out of nowhere and tells Lewis that he'll understand it later but "not now."

I like that they acknowledged Hibiki has family in Japan. I'm surprised they didn't do it with the rest of the Japanese cast even if it's a given.

All the same I'm glad Isami and Lewis finally connected (through an impromptu and slightly sexual boxing match) and isami seems to be mellowing out a little. Bravern seems to know exactly what needs to happen or what he needs to do to facilitate that.

So how many legendary seiyuu are going to say "ga ga pi?" First up is Tetsu Inada!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Found out about this today, but according to Mike Toole, "ga pi pi" is essentially the Japanese onomatopoeia for robot noises, like "beep beep boop" in english. Rather than some alien language.

Since we saw the other giant robot at the end of the episode speaking the same way, it's possible this is a race of robots. So Lulu may actually be, a cylon! :p
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Well they haven't been very subtle about Lulu being [from inside of] Superbia. They brought a lot of attention to that escape pod Laughing
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
...so everyone is going to gloss over that we finally learned why Isami locked himself inside Bravern's cockpit and insists on being closed off? Cause it's some significant insight: it's not just that Isami doesn't want the spotlight that comes with being a hero, but he is afraid of the weight of responsibility that comes with being in a position of authority. It's a substantive & clever way to contrast him from Lewis.

MFrontier wrote:
The Braven and Lewis connection didn't seem more obvious to me than seeing Lewis is a tokusatsu fan and the Toku hero he's a fan of looks and sounds like Bravern. They even have Lewis and Bravern pull the same pose.

Also the way he just pulls a 3D Printer out of nowhere and tells Lewis that he'll understand it later but "not now."

To add to that, most notably Bravern and Spar Kaiser share the same chest. I'm also guessing that Miyu is gonna be the one to take advantage of Build Burn to make the Titanostrides compatible with Bravern.

BTW, am I the only one getting Tekkaman Dagger vibes from the 1st boss?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:47 am Reply with quote
Now that you mention it, I'm remembering from my elementary school days (which were a couple decades back so forgive inaccuracies) that in Tekkaman Blade the aliens were collecting humans and emptying theirs internals to make them compatible with their battle armors. I wonder if Lulu's atrophied digestive tract is in reference to this.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Well they haven't been very subtle about Lulu being [from inside of] Superbia. They brought a lot of attention to that escape pod Laughing

Yep, but instead of being a pilot or cargo, maybe she's the next step in their evolution Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:01 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Found out about this today, but according to Mike Toole, "ga pi pi" is essentially the Japanese onomatopoeia for robot noises, like "beep beep boop" in english. Rather than some alien language.

Since we saw the other giant robot at the end of the episode speaking the same way, it's possible this is a race of robots. So Lulu may actually be, a cylon! :p
Wow, you must be really old like me to get that last bit. However, since we know the robots are a sentient group of machines, I believe they are supposed to be "speaking" binary made up of strings of "ga" and "pi". Further, I believe one interpretation that fits is "ga ga pi" means "strong" as it is what Lulu says when looking at Smith and is what she remarks about him most in Japanese while "ga ga ga" mean "weak" as the alien robot remarks viewing how Tokyo is easily destroyed. Especially if "ga"=0, the negative of "pi"=1. No clue yet as to what the rest of the "pi ga ga...etc" means but it's also possible that the combined meaning depends on the meaning at each bit position. Also have to hand it to Lulu's VA, she is able to really use her voice to extremes to make the character portrayal realistic to a "wild child"...
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Wow, you must be really old like me to get that last bit.

Hey now, the reboot was only *checks wiki* oof... 20 years ago Shocked
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Wow, you must be really old like me to get that last bit.
Hey now, the reboot was only *checks wiki* oof... 20 years ago Shocked
I come here from the year 1978, this is an example of the cylons I know...[img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylons#/media/File:BSG_-_Cylon_(1978_TV_series).jpg[/img] If we'd had cylons like Lulu, things would have been so much better... Very Happy
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The initial mission having a hard timer didn't really make sense to me. Did Bravern set it intentionally to work as some meta narrative plot device? Maybe Bravern knows he's in a super robot show... O_o

I get that they got a lesson on how to defeat the enemies from Bravern, but it's interesting to see that the fodder is already not much of an issue. Guess you can't really do that typical build up when you've only got 12 episodes Laughing

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I come here from the year 1978, this is an example of the cylons I know...[img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylons#/media/File:BSG_-_Cylon_(1978_TV_series).jpg[/img] If we'd had cylons like Lulu, things would have been so much better... Very Happy

Ah, well that was before my time, but I hadn't considered the original since it didn't have the humanoid cyclons. You should check out the reboot if you haven't Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:50 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Isami, Bravern, and Lewis in action together

The other two ladies from the OP finally show up, Akira and Shelley! And they're already getting romance flags with Smith. I love how Akira's Mecha has an axe. Though without an English dub you really can't get a true value out of Shelley being from Texas.

Will Bravern not interrupt a single Goddamn meeting!? I feel for Hal.

I honestly was not expecting to see Superbia back so soon or like this before we even properly encountered the other Deathdriver general...but I guess we needed to get to hear Tomokazu Sugita (is Bravern going to tazer punch all the Deathdrivers into speaking normally?), establish Bravern and Superbia as traditional Rivals, and make it clear that Superbia needs Lulu. I'm guessing she is to him what Isami is to Bravern even if she's oblivious right now.

(Also of course Miyu would find Superbia's voice hot).

Of course Bravern has a full title logo hologram for introduction sake.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:47 am Reply with quote
It's a shame Isamu seems like a generic protagonist when compared with the rest of the main characters.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Daddy came back to life to claim custody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6