• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ga Ga Ga Gals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
Remember guys and gals, Being the Final Entry of the Brave Series GaoGaiGar aims to a younger audience than your standard Giant Robot show, but the creator manage to fill it with soo much Giant RObot love and detail that it makes me feel great for being a Giant Robot fan Cool ...too bad we can't get the classics of the genre in R1 Anime cry

Last edited by Vicserr on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
...too bad we can't get the classic of the genre in R1 Anime cry

What are you talking about? What about Gigantor?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
...too bad we can't get the classics of the genre in R1 Anime cry

What about Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Ufo Robo Grendizer, Daiku Maryu Gaiking, Magno Robo Gakeen, Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3, Voltes V, Tosho Daimos, Steel Jeeg, Danguard Ace, Space RunAway Ideon, Brave Raideen, Gordian... Need I continue Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
I liked Fate/stay Night, except for Emiya. Saber was really cool, but Emiya severly needed a punch in the face from me.

Veoryn87 wrote:
Emiya was the biggest idiot I've even seen in an anime.

You two mean Shirou, right?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
I liked Fate/stay Night, except for Emiya. Saber was really cool, but Emiya severly needed a punch in the face from me.

Veoryn87 wrote:
Emiya was the biggest idiot I've even seen in an anime.

You two mean Shirou, right?

......and Emiya is his last name. You're all referring to the same character.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
jgreen wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

What about Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Ufo Robo Grendizer, Daiku Maryu Gaiking, Magno Robo Gakeen, Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3, Voltes V, Tosho Daimos, Steel Jeeg, Danguard Ace, Space RunAway Ideon, Brave Raideen, Gordian... Need I continue Wink

It may take trudging through Amazon or eBay, but you can at least find the Getter's.

Hmmm, so Shelf Life started out with the normal folk, worked its way up to the collectors, and is now on the Pets of Anime Edition ... okay, so let's see ... well, brain has apparently clocked out, so best guess on the next streak is reverse alphabetizers.

PS - Thought bubble "What missing Excel Saga discs?"
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not the sort of person to complain about a negative review (because who cares if someone doesn't like what I like?), but I am happy to see that someone on the ANN staff mostly liked the second half of Super GALS!.

The reason the second half is much less didactic than the first half is simply that the anime had caught up to the manga by the halfway point and, as such, most of the second half episodes are either comedy filler without much of any resemblance to anything that ever happened in the manga or are attempts to tie up the dramatic threads with seemingly little or no guidance from Mihona Fujii (the original mangaka). Also, even if the animation team did have some input from Fujii as to where the manga would go in the latter chapters, they were kind of hamstrung as the anime was only meant to cover the girls first year of high school while the manga goes all of the way to their graduation (meaning three years, for those of you in Rio Linda).

As someone who loved the first half of Super GALS! and the GALS! manga (which I started reading in French almost two years before it was available in English), I was thouroughly entertained by the second half, though I'm still scratching my head wondering how they were able to write a robot dog into the storyline, even if it's just one episode out of 26.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
jgreen wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

It may take trudging through Amazon or eBay, but you can at least find the Getter's.

I didn't mean Getter Robo Armaggedon, New Gettter Robo and/or MazinKaiser..

I meant the anime that forever associated Japanese Animation with Giant Robots, the anime that left their mark in a entire gereration of viewers, the anime that inspire most of the Soul of Chokogin Die cast collectables line, the anime whose mecha fills the ranks of Super Robot Wars players everywhere, the anime where creators like Go Nagai, Leiji Matsumoto, Yoshiyuki Tomino and countless others cut their teeth doing, that's what I meant by the classics. Cool

Would you be so kind to click this dvd aficionado link

**Waits**

If you have noticed that link includes almost all that's available in R1 in the Giant Robot/Mecha genre, I ought to know, I did that page... Shocked

R1 is severly lacking in Classic Heavy Metal, thanks to MB we're getting King of Braves: GaoGaigar and later in the Year, Hundred Beast King Golion and Armored Fleet Dairugger XV I hope it's a trend that brings more of this classics to R1 and yes, people should Bow Down to the King!
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

You're all referring to the same character.

How do I put this? Well, I won't, so let me just say that referring to an "Emiya" is a point of confusion among TYPE-MOON folk familiar with the work.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

You're all referring to the same character.

How do I put this? Well, I won't, so let me just say that referring to an "Emiya" is a point of confusion among TYPE-MOON folk familiar with the work.

Granted, this is something the Fate anime never addresses, spoiler[despite the fact that it's a pretty big plot point (or is in the original work, at least). It's merely vaguely (very vaguely) hinted at towards the middle of the series.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
It's probably been said before, but GaoGaiGar will stop being an endless wave of monster-of-the-week episodes at some point. Doesn't make it any less campy (or less aimed squarely at people who already love the genre), but the heights it hits once it finally shakes out of that rut are impressive.

it doesn't stop until about 26... and it's totally worth it. once it gets into the plot, it goes from good to fantastic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3