• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Orders Halt on Fansub Links for 11 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Fansubbers, I would imagine, would stop subbing if the series is licensed here. Otherwise, what's the point in stopping? You have no legal alternative, so no one loses out or benefits. This whole C&D is completely inane, and only a few of those shows would be worth any legal action over.

The legal alternative would be to buy the R2.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You know, I think I might have to say that if anything, these series might get downloaded even more simply for stating their existence. Wow, a double lose for Kadokawa.

Also, why is no one talking about Shuffle Memories probably getting licensed since the first series is? That and Wolf and Spice are pretty much the only things on that list worth the time and effort.

But it would be slightly harder to find especially if some of those groups were using a certain tracker that also takes down C&D titles. So the AS de-listing serves a purpose.

I didn't find out about this list here. I saw it on another non-AS site posted by someone who saw it on AS yesterday. The word spreads when this stuff happens.

People prob assume that Shuffle! Memories is coming over since Shuffle! did well enough to receive a box and GOD panties. To each their own, but there are prob other titles on that list equally worthy of being licensed.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:14 am; edited 4 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Naturally, but I really feel the need to punch anyone who says that in the face, instinctively. That's like buying a book in a language I don't understand, for the full MSRP, just because I liked a translated version of it. The fact that is has no subtitles or dub means that an R2 is completely useless to me, and that I'd have to pay double or triple what'd I'd be paying for an R1. R2 isn't an option, unless you're absolutely obsessed with that title.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Naturally, but I really feel the need to punch anyone who says that in the face, instinctively. That's like buying a book in a language I don't understand, for the full MSRP, just because I liked a translated version of it. The fact that is has no subtitles or dub means that an R2 is completely useless to me, and that I'd have to pay double or triple what'd I'd be paying for an R1. R2 isn't an option, unless you're absolutely obsessed with that title.
Or a more rational person might say "provide an English translated sub and I will consider it." Wink
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Even if you know Japanese, the Japanese releases are ridiculously expensive with a ridiculously low episode count. Okay, they come with pretty booklets and whatnot, but still, somehow I understand people not wanting to invest in longer shows. It's just not worth it unless you're really crazy about the show. I know Japanese and I've even considered buying the R2 releases of Gankutsuou (24 eps), but decided against it when I realized that it would cost me more than buying the American release of the entire FMA series (51 eps).

Consider: in Japan you can get whole seasons of American cartoons, dubbed and all, for ~2000 yen. That's half the price of one regular-edition anime DVD containing two episodes, three if you're lucky. Sure, anime is produced in Japan, but that can't possibly account for such a huge price gap.

Last edited by mufurc on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:22 am; edited 3 times in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Or a more rational person might say "provide an English translated sub and I will consider it." Wink

Or...learn the language if you want to see it and it's not over here. Also, save up like I'm doing. I buy R2 Clannad.

This sort of thing happens. Get used to it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
samuelp wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Also....they are offering BitTorrent downloads only for Japan...so I could not care less.

Frankly I think the bittorent for Japan thing is a coincidence and unrelated. Probably.

I think it's just the opposite: Kadokawa et al. don't really give a damn whether Kadokawa USA or any other licensee bring those titles to North America; they just want those Japanese who "reverse download" anime via overseas bittorrent sites stop doing so anymore and either buy domestic copies or use the domestic download service.

Of course, the ironic thing is the Japanese users don't use anime___suki as their torrent listing site of choice, since it's in english.

They list torrents on 2ch, just like everything else. I think they also use TT.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote
There are some Japanese users on AS. You see them in the forums. There are also reps from other Asian countries there too. Either way if it's free on AS and not free on BitTorrent which way would most people go?
Temuthril

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I think it's just the opposite: Kadokawa et al. don't really give a damn whether Kadokawa USA or any other licensee bring those titles to North America; they just want those Japanese who "reverse download" anime via overseas bittorrent sites stop doing so anymore and either buy domestic copies or use the domestic download service.

Don't most of them just use Share or Winny?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Temuthril wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Don't most of them just use Share or Winny?

Only if you want to go to jail. Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
I for one am glad Kadokawa did this. Think of this as Geneon's way at getting back to those who did fansubs for their shows.

Although none of those shows interest me, I hope Kadokawa will be able to make some money of this.

This is Animesuki's fault, they should have know one day they would have been caught.

Edit: No I wasn't being saracastic, just for the record.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
Phew! Lucky for me, those shows suck!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Well.....this won't stop me from downloading Wagaya, so I could not care less even if I tried
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

This sort of thing happens. Get used to it.

I'm buying Okami to Koshinryo R2 release, but still trying to stop it for fear of reverse downloading shows (again) what kind of pointless protectionism is driving the anime industry. Instead of recognizing there is a global market they still cling to some questionable ideas.
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I for one am glad Kadokawa did this. Think of this as Geneon's way at getting back to those who did fansubs for their shows.

Although none of those shows interest me, I hope Kadokawa will be able to make some money of this.

This is [this is a bittorrent site]'s fault, they should have know one day they would have been caught.

OK, economic expert. Explain how Kadokawa makes money of this. I'm sure preventing distribution of fansubs to oversea viewers where they generate no revenue on these unlicensed titles will surely bring in some profit.

(Are you trying to be sarcastic? I didn't see the sarcasm there)

The only way that comes to mind is dormcat's theory of preventing Japanese users from downloading from oversea websites - yet I suspect that's a small minority - they don't need oversea sources when they have their own gigantic outlets like Winny and Share. Share is HARD to catch - those 3 guys only went to jail because of their massive bandwidth consumption and their ISPs actually gave their information to the authorities. If the ISPs didn't cave in, they'd still be safe.

Granted I haven't been keeping track with a lot of those titles (the closest is Spice and Wolf - still on episode 3 or 4), so I don't really care that much.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Wow. Never thought I'd see the day where Canvas2 appears on ANN. Well, good thing I have it burned to DVD-R's already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7