• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment's Gurren Lagann Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
for the most part this list looks pretty good.

the only one I'm aprehensive about is Yuri Lowenthal. but it depends which voice he brings.

I'm also kind of happy with the absence of Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman from this list (my biggest fear was that Wendee Lee was going to play Yoko; I'm quite happy with the choice of Michelle Ruff). Don't get me wrong, I think they're both amazing voice actors, I'm just getting tired of them because it seems like they're in everything. I also kind of wish Johnny Yong Bosch and Steven Jay Blum were absent from this list for the same reason. I have nothing against them, I just want a break from their voices.

I can completely agree with ur statement, they're all great, but michelle ruff is definitely the BEST choice for Yoko. I also wish steve blum was absent unless he uses a different voice (not happening) Crispin Freeman is my favorite voice actor, ask anyone that knows me, nobody is a bigger fan, but I agree he is overused and no character would fit him so i'm glad he is out. I'm glad JYB is on it though, since soon he'll be absent from all animes as he's quitting voice acting.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Sadness.... I was REALLY looking forward to Brett Weaver as Kamina. He was born for that role.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Crispin playing the final villain character in Gurren Lagann.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
this might be really interesting.though doing the sub first and the dubs last is kinda a little off to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Crispin playing the final villain character in Gurren Lagann.

depends if the series was unionized or not. Crispin does not go out of the union rules.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
skyesage wrote:
Ooooh I love Yuri Lowenthal! I'm excited :3. It would be nice to get exposed to a different voice than him as Reks in Final Fantasy XII. Best...minor role...ever...

Try Tales of the Abyss on PS2. He voiced the main character, and JYB was his minor character best friend.

But yeah, this cast looks amazing... too bad I work until 11 pm... I'll have to try recording this on my ancient tv/vcr combo... oh, the pain... but sub-only sets and bilingual next year = win.

jr0904 wrote:
this might be really interesting.though doing the sub first and the dubs last is kinda a little off to me.

With the DVD releases, yes. But it will be airing on tv in English shortly after the first sub-only DVD comes out. I like this because it allows those of us who want to watch it in Japanese the ability to watch it now, and those who want to watch it in English the ability to watch it on tv right now. Then if you like the dub, you can buy the DVDs when they come out next year. Not a bad idea, really.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Sadness.... I was REALLY looking forward to Brett Weaver as Kamina. He was born for that role.

at one point I was too but now that I've done some more consideration

I just don't think Bret would sound good in that role

sure he's Hoot blooded enough but his voice just doesn't have the depth and clarity for many of the important lines
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
I can completely agree with ur statement, they're all great, but michelle ruff is definitely the BEST choice for Yoko. I also wish steve blum was absent unless he uses a different voice (not happening) Crispin Freeman is my favorite voice actor, ask anyone that knows me, nobody is a bigger fan, but I agree he is overused and no character would fit him so i'm glad he is out. I'm glad JYB is on it though, since soon he'll be absent from all animes as he's quitting voice acting.

...why wouldn't Blum use a different voice than his usual one? He's perfectly capable of doing some rather wacky roles; if you've ever seen Trigun, he played Professor Nebraska in episode 5, believe it or else.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
steven blum as leeron will be less grating on my ears i believe. and besides, i like Blum.

i dont know if i've ever heard the voice of the Kamina actor. that's probably a good thing.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
It looks like a normal mediocre Bandai dub, except for the decision of Michelle "One-Tone" Ruff as Yoko. THAT'LL go over well... And I see we have the usual Chorus O' Bandai Females Who All Sound Exactly The Same.

On the other hand, Lowenthal as Simon is actually a pretty good idea. Hynden Walch took me completely by surprise, too, but I'm willing to declare this awesome if only because of how random it is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Hey, whoever's covering the Bandai panel, please ask them about Silent Mobius movies for me.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
sanosuke32 wrote:

...why wouldn't Blum use a different voice than his usual one? He's perfectly capable of doing some rather wacky roles; if you've ever seen Trigun, he played Professor Nebraska in episode 5, believe it or else.

I know how many voices he's capable of, I've heard his demo tape and I've seen Trigun and I heard him in Harvey Birdman. But honestly, how many times has he changed his voice in an anime, its just kinda tiring. Although I did see some clips of him in gurren lagann just about 10 minutes ago, he does change his voice and does voice a good gay guy, so I'm happy bout that Very Happy

To Myaow, how the hell is Michelle Ruff one tone. Have u heard her as Yukari in Persona 3 compared to Sakura in SFA or Etna in Disgaea 2, very different. She's also got a VERY strong and commanding voice which is absolutely perfect for Yoko. You're saying Rukia sounds the same as Sakura, no friggin' way.
shadowprime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this has been posted, but here's a recording of the panel with clips of the dub which I must say AWESOME, oh btw the dub clips are in part two of the panel recording, but here's the first part which has some interesting stuff.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4IEprHonM&feature=related
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited about Kyle being Kamina. I think he's a great voice actor, and I bet he's going to have a blast playing this role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
Royal Devil wrote:

depends if the series was unionized or not. Crispin does not go out of the union rules.

Doesn't Blum being in it kinda mean it's union? As of late, Blum hasn't done much non-union stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5