• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Moribito Confirmed to Debut on Adult Swim on August 24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Nothing is as bad as s.cry.ed. Me and my cousin (who doesn't even like anime so much)always make jokes on one else gets about how bad that was. I know we get premiers and all but well you all know the story they just don't seem to care about those premiers.

It's pretty bad, but I don't think it's the worst ever. I don't think it's even the worst ever on CN- Pilot Candidate was so rancid even a catgirl couldn't convince me to keep watching, and I have a major hard-on for nekomimi. (Seriously- I have a complete collection of Hyper Police, both manga and anime.) Witch Hunter Robin was so bland I gave up after two episodes. Apparently it gets better somewhere in the middle, but unless they changed the boring black-on-grey color schemes and paper-thin characters, I doubt it. Then there's Wolf's Rain, which takes an interesting premise and does nothing with it for something like 3/4 of it's run time. And D.I.C.E., the most listless toynime I've ever seen. Scryed had holes in it big enough to drive a Mack Truck through, but it was at least entertaining most of the time, if not always in the way the writers intended.

But we were talking about Code Geass, right? I like that show. I dismissed it at first as a Death Note one-off- all about a psychotic boy genius determined to make a better world using supernatural powers. But I gave it a few episodes, and I'm glad. I like the focus on military strategy and political maneuvering, the playing with real mecha tropes, and the slow metamorphasis of Lelouche from an angry rebel to a true leader. I'd say it's passed Naruto and Bleach as the best show on CN.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
I love the way lelouch is so over the top. Sure it's a little boring sometimes but when it finally gets interesting it really is interesting. I also like the way no one chickens out during a fight "because they are family" and lelouch isn't half as (yes I'm going to say it) emo as other boys in that position act (I'm not talking kira or shinji either they had sort of good reasons.) I'm talking like some of the whining and otherwise annoying over reaction done in shows like zegapain.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
Guardian of the Spirit / Seirei no Moribito is one of the best Fantasy animes ever. It was just awesome in every way possible, and it would be so great if more seasons based on the other novels were to come. I'm so buying this on DVD Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
Many of you have expressed how "excited" you are that this show is airing on "[adult swim]".

However, in a hypothetical scenario, let's say this show was announced for Toonami (or better yet, the main Cartoon Network itself). How would you all react then?
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
Fantastic. Moribito and Mononoke are two shows I've been dying to watch, so I'm glad I can atleast check one off my list soon.
SeedOfAnime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this for a long time ^^
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
Great to hear, I only watched the first 2 eps fansubed and I liked the series. This most be one of the last dub completed by Geneon before they went under.
We are seeing Adult Swim coming alive again in terms of anime. I do wonder if they are getting pushed by the Scifi channels return to the anime market. It was about the time Scifi announced ani-Monday that Adult Swim started to announce more and higher quality anime titles. Between the two channels we have some very good shows coming our way.
marklungo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
1. To all the people concerned about Moribito's English dub: As ANN itself has confirmed, some of the cast members have already been announced.

2. So what happened with the rumors about Buso Renkin running on Adult Swim a while back? I guess it didn't work out.

3. Adult Swim's lack of anime promotion bothers me too. A plausible theory I heard a while back claims that anime fans don't need to see promos on AS because they get their news from sites like ANN, and comedy fans won't watch anime anyway. (However, at least a few anime fans must watch comedy, because those shows are promoted during the anime block.) At least AS doesn't insert extra commercial breaks or distracting on-screen promos, or squeeze the credits, the way Ani-Monday does.
groente12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Good news, i hope this anime gets more attention from people, I've already seen it and it is better than bleach, naruto, and other animes on adult swim.
The action sequences are really beautifull the art to, the story is not cheap, but this anime offer you a very solid storyline with fantasy. Serei no moribito is the best anime serie so far from I.G. Productions. Very Happy try it you wont regret
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Many of you have expressed how "excited" you are that this show is airing on "[adult swim]".

However, in a hypothetical scenario, let's say this show was announced for Toonami (or better yet, the main Cartoon Network itself). How would you all react then?

We'd be glad to be able to see it. Why wouldn't we be?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
To those who want Claymore and D.Gray-man... you'll get those shows if the [AS] staff likes them.

Claymore I highly doubt we'll get to see on [AS] unless they're willing to edit out the nudity. Basically, I think the only channels we're going to be most likely if at all to see pick it up would have to either be okay with editing a little nudity or okay with showing it. I personally prefer the former, but eh, whatever.

And if D.Gray-Man's going to get on TV anywhere, I'd say it's probably going to have to be Toonami. Religious references be darned. I'm sorry, but that's just a completely retarded reason not to show it on there, especially when Naruto for heaven's sake even has worse graphic content in it than it does. Rolling Eyes Besides, one would think [AS] would be a little bit worried about showing too much long running shounen on their block, wouldn't they? Wink
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Great to hear, I only watched the first 2 eps fansubed and I liked the series. This most be one of the last dub completed by Geneon before they went under.
We are seeing Adult Swim coming alive again in terms of anime. I do wonder if they are getting pushed by the Scifi channels return to the anime market. It was about the time Scifi announced ani-Monday that Adult Swim started to announce more and higher quality anime titles. Between the two channels we have some very good shows coming our way.

I guess it's true about how competition provides results. AS never had any competition, but now they have some. Granted, AniMonday airs only on Monday, a night when AS airs no anime, so Adult Swim doesn't have to worry. But I guess it pulls away from their Comedy Block.

And let's no forget IFC. They air Friday nights, and have been airing some quality stuff from Funimation. Witchblade, Speed Grapher, and Gunslinger Girl. That might have motivated Adult Swim too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it because IFC isn't on the same basic cable as as (from what I hear) and most of those shows have content as can't show and we know they hate to edit (that's why they didn't get elfin lied.) I think scifi is their competition though. They are beginning to show really good anime and not just manga's catalog of thing that either we have all seen before or is really bad (like vampire wars.) I think that they are going to try and get another really good show once code geass finishes because I doubt they will be ready with the second season by then.
Phenomenal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCon wrote:
They only show anime on saturdays now...

Which is why Adult swim fails. Aqua Teen Hunger, Assey Mcgee and all those other shows are just stupid and weak. They aren't funny at all. They just need to show Anime all the time, that's why my friends I suggest ordering the funimation channel if you can!!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Phenomenal wrote:
AnimeCon wrote:
They only show anime on saturdays now...

Which is why Adult swim fails. Aqua Teen Hunger, Assey Mcgee and all those other shows are just stupid and weak. They aren't funny at all. They just need to show Anime all the time, that's why my friends I suggest ordering the funimation channel if you can!!

...you do realize that [adult swim] is a diverse programming block, right? And that their primary focus is on their original comedy series? And that anime has played a secondary role for a few years now?

Seriously, I'm trying to think of the last time I've read intelligent criticism of [as]'s programming choices outside of their own forums, and I can't come up with anything. Anime fans are usually the worst offenders, since so many of them seem to have this idea that it's their God-given right to watch copious amounts of anime on the lineup. People, [as] is not an anime network; it is a network that just so happens to include varying amounts of anime within it. Anime has never been, nor will it ever be, the block's primary focus. The sooner you accept that, the happier we'll all be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4