• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Broccoli International USA to Shut Down by Year's End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope Tokyopop does NOT get any of Broccoli's stuff, their translations can't match up to Broccoli's at all.

Also this means no Galaxy Angel games Crying or Very sad
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel Rune was probably the only manga worth buying for me. And I liked Digi Charat (or how the English dub crew from Pokemon handled it).

But this needs to be said right now: You CAN NOT run a Japanese company in the US like a Japanese company. You CAN NOT be niche if you wanna eat and survive long.

I read the news over at CNN: Companies over in Japan tend to be slow on firing people so they can keep people from diving into depression and killing themselves. Here in the US, there's no such thing as "job security" anymore.

(I just met some homeless guy the other day. He used to work at Mervyns.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I figured this was coming when Broccoli canceled all of the back orders for Fooly Cooly from Right Stuf not too long ago. I suppose it would be hard to justify keeping a subsidiary of four people open considering how things are going right now.
togarmah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Damn. I wanted them to ask Broccoli to come to the Orange County Book Festival planned for Sept 2009. Oh Well...
yruahippo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Wait, does this mean they won't rerelease the FLCL Box Set? Or is that someone else? I was waiting so excitedly for that! :cries:
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
i just hope they can release sola vol2 before they close there only 2vols any ways
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
yruahippo wrote:
Wait, does this mean they won't rerelease the FLCL Box Set? Or is that someone else? I was waiting so excitedly for that! :cries:

That's exactly what it means. I know there were large amounts on order at Right Stuf, but they were canceled. Now we know why.
Spica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
So does that mean that they've completely stopped production on all their titles? Is Broccoli going to sell off their titles to other publishing companies? What about series close to being finished? I know some of their titles have release dates for the end of January. Does this mean there's a shot that some of the volumes will be released? I would think that Broccoli would try to release as much material as they have ready, in hopes of making more money.

I'm very irritated. We've been waiting a long time to see how these stories play out, and now we'll probably never know how they end.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see, as Brocolli produced some really polished manga and anime productions, and their print quality for manga was among the best. They were also heavily involved in conventions, I still have a CD case decorated with the Digi Charat stickers they sent our Con in our first year.
I hope their employees find good jobs, and other domestic companies find a home for some of their works, particularly their Digi Charat anime releases, the FLCL OVA and some of their unfinished manga titles.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I ordered the fourth volume of Galaxy Angel 2 on Barnes and Nobles, which keeps getting pushed back but now doesn't seem like I'll be getting it. Assuming the story goes beyond this fourth volume, I guess I'll never be able to finish it. What a shame
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to echo some other people here about FLCL. I was really hoping for another reprint...

sigh...When will I ever be able to buy this series......
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
Why are they shutting down!? Are they pulling a Geneon!? Oh no!! I loved their books! I have Digi Charat (original) volumes 1-3, Leave it to Piyoko! volume 1, Kon Kon Kokon, Yoki Koto Kiku, Galaxy Angel volumes 1-6, Galaxy Angel Beta volume 1, Galaxy Angel II volume 1, and Koi Cupid volume 1! They can't go downhill! I like their little books! That was a cute little company! They can't shut down!
Relairknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
Well this just sucks =( I'll probably never get to finish Nui! and My Dearest Devil Princess now...and even if some other company releases the rest of the volumes, I bet they won't be the same size as Broccoli made them. I kind of liked their shorter but wider style..sigh..maybe we'll get compilation books with 3-4 volumes in each of them or something.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
I thought last year around this time that FLCL had gone OOP when there were no copies available, only to see it selling again in Feb this year. Used copies of the box set were selling for $200+ on Amazon in Dec 2007. Now the inconsistent distribution makes sense. Can't imagine the license won't be picked up, though, since it appears on nearly every top-ten anime list I've seen.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
Aw, man. Now I'll never get the English version of Leave it to Piyoko! Vol. 2! Only other thing I was interested in form them was Galaxy Angel, but I kept putting off buying any books since the in-stock volumes were scattered between different series (OG, II, Beta).

Hopefully Viz or someone else can pick up Broccoli's stuff. ISTR some Digi-Charat books from Viz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4