• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Like James Beckett's first impressions, I too absolutely loved the simuldub for the first ep of Gridman, great start by the cast.

The cast, plus notably the detail to the sound that placed the new English voices into the environments really making them sound like they were actually in the spaces, did an amazing job successfully pulling off the challenge of being the entire focal point of almost the entire very first ep, with just the rest of the great sound design and sound effects for support without even any early music to help set the beginning tone. Great work by Clifford Chapin getting this kind of performance in the very first ep before they even had the chance to settle into their roles and the rest of the sound editor/audio team.

The crisp back and forth of the voice actors between Yuta and Rikka right from that first bit near the computer was so good and the intros to the leads and class with no music and just great sound really made everything stand out along with those lingering big wide shots. I think it was like 16 minutes before there was really any actual music. That style of execution indeed certainly reminded me of Gainax and the great atmospheric and saturated lighting (and fog) was pure Trigger.

Loved the voices for the lead four, especially the first three sounded great together since Akane only had that one scene, though her voice sounded like it'll be a lot of fun too. Jill Harris sounded especially fantastic to me right from their exchange when they're in front of the old computer and she doesn't see Gridman on the screen, so much natural "character" to her voice even just from her tones and other vocal quirks (like we'd get from a Haruko in FLCL or Ryuuko in KLK, she also maybe reminded me a bit of Rika from Digimon in that first scene in front the junk computer with her fun grumpiness). I think she's easily going to be the character I most look forward to watching and hearing. And Greg Ayres was awesome as the nerdy brains of the group along with the effortless comradery to his voice too when interacting with Yuta and his VA, who was also very fitting.

McCollum sounded perfect as Gridman.
It was funny that even though I knew it wasn't him since this was a Funi dub I still think I would have initially guessed that it was Max Mittleman when he first started talking, lol.
Rikka's mom seemed cool too, and some more nice designs for the class.

Really liked that hero theme when the show finally first got to Gridman and having it as the first piece of music played in the show was quite interesting. The first ep definitely felt right at home as the intro to a new installment of this kind of show.
The spectacle of those kaiju battles is gonna be perfect for Trigger action and special effects.

Really glad to see those high scores for Karakuri Circus as I'm quite looking forward to that.
Cabron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
>Actually, a more direct inspiration for the featured action (i.e., the part where Gridman manifests in full giant robot size) would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. The sleek build and tapered waist of Gridman more resemble Eva units than most other mecha types, the way Gridman moves is reminiscent of the way the Evas moved, and the way Gridman fights the equal-sized baddies evokes memories of the Evas fighting Angels.

Lmao, no.

>Granted, some of this is because this series is drawing from the same traditions that Evangelion did

At least you somewhat acknowledged it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:
>Actually, a more direct inspiration for the featured action (i.e., the part where Gridman manifests in full giant robot size) would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. The sleek build and tapered waist of Gridman more resemble Eva units than most other mecha types, the way Gridman moves is reminiscent of the way the Evas moved, and the way Gridman fights the equal-sized baddies evokes memories of the Evas fighting Angels.

Lmao, no.

Really? Then perhaps you could clarify what other mecha title you think it more closely resembles (and thus is taking inspiration from)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lovenox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
I wish I could remember all these Index characters after 8 years.
echen_taichi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
my rating
Tensei Shitara Slime - 3/5
Hinomaru Sumo - 4/5
Run with the wind - 3/5
Goblin Slayer - 3.5/5
Zombieland Saga - 2.5/5
Karakuri Circus - 2.5/5
SSSS Gridman - 3/5
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Looks like My Sister, My Writer may not be covered for the daily streaming reviews too (and sounds like something that Tenjin perv from Green Green would read), and for good reason, I agree with the "Just Stop" rating. Heck, these two short chapters from the UnMagical Girl manga did it better, with a supposed villain (forgot his name) from a magical girl anime in the real world having become a light novel author and the magical girl protagonist Nirbrave tries to become one herself and fails. That manga had fanservice, but at least Nirbrave wasn't a loli nor looking like a little girl (and one character who was a little girl thankfully didn't have any gut-wrenching fanservice, and while it never mentioned their ages, I can assume Brave's age was round about 19-20, I'm guessing).

I must ask, honest to God, why did Crunchyroll think it was appropriate, and legal to stream/license something like this (and if this keeps up I'll be done with Kadokawa Pictures) for the United States? Shocked

Then again, there are a lot of American cartoons that have some pretty crossing the line, questionable stuff too...and somehow were seen as legal...
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Really? Then perhaps you could clarify what other mecha title you think it more closely resembles (and thus is taking inspiration from)?

Gridman? OG Gridman predates Eva itself by two years and Eva itself was inspired by Ultraman, Gridman's parent series. I believe Anno's gone on record about Eva being inspired by Ultraman too, at least aspects of it at least.

The scenery shots you've got a point with, specifically in Episode 1, but that's also because they're being by the same person who handled the same shots in the Rebuild movies.

The way the fights are done are specifically to replicate the feel of the old school giant monster suits and diorama cities that old school Ultraman/Sentai often tended to use. Heck, I believe they both still do (at least as of the last few entries I've seen.)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Lovenox wrote:

Hmmm. A guide for the recurring characters may be possible for the first episode review. (And honestly, I think it would be a good idea for my own benefit, as there was one character in the first episode whom I couldn't remember at all.) If I have time on Friday, I'll look at doing that.

GNPixie wrote:
Gridman? OG Gridman predates Eva itself by two years and Eva itself was inspired by Ultraman, Gridman's parent series. I believe Anno's gone on record about Eva being inspired by Ultraman too, at least aspects of it at least.

The scenery shots you've got a point with, specifically in Episode 1, but that's also because they're being by the same person who handled the same shots in the Rebuild movies.

The way the fights are done are specifically to replicate the feel of the old school giant monster suits and diorama cities that old school Ultraman/Sentai often tended to use. Heck, I believe they both still do (at least as of the last few entries I've seen.)

I was unaware that Gridman was that old. (That Saturday was so packed that I didn't have time to do as much research as I normally do.) I definitely agree with your observations on the fight scenes, as I had the same impression. However, I would still argue that the animated rendition of the character Gridman is taking a lot of visual cues from NGE. Anno did take inspiration from Ultraman (I've heard that before), but the way he turned it into animation is distinctive to his franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The season was a tedious slog overall but 3 shows still emerged from the wreckage. First the losers bracket. SSSS.Gridman had a fine pilot but the 2nd ep. turned into the usual Trigger cliche parade. A shame. Zombie Land Saga on the other hand would be recommendable if the episodes capped off at 10 minutes as the material is stretched too thin as is.

Golden Kamuy still looks sub-par and the theoretically hilarious Psycho parody of ep.1 was thus way more effective in the original still images. The story itself is translated fine enough though and that´s what counts. 7,5/10

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze I have nothing more to say about the accurately adapted material itself and only want to see my boi Mista in action. David Production and the Jo-father were just meant to be. The OP is an absolute highlight too and very reminiscent of the Monster OP, as most of the overall plot is hidden within! Very strong work by some of the Eva staff. The funky END sequence needs stronger visuals on the other hand. 8,5/10 Anime of the year? Maybe.

Star Wars Resistance is very reminiscent of S01 of Rebels. The constant goofs and jokes are too broad to be funny and an overall story has still to emerge but the groundwork is absolutely there. The show just feels like Star Wars and that's enough for now. Resistance is also the best looking and animated TV anime of the year by a mile due to dat sweet sweet Disney money. 7,5/10

I have an original anime due to Star Wars of all things on my plate this season. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

All my ongoing anime are done. Castlevania, DuckTales, Simpsons, South Park, Teen Titans Go and Voltron remain. Septembers' The Dragon Prince S01 was also really good.
The film version of Constantine - City of Demons was one of the best toon/comic films in years and I lastly wonder if the presence of the "official" Japanse Spider-girl and her mech will factor into the marketing of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in Japan. She is no Leopardon but not even the Ready Player One film bothered to pay that Toei license.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lovenox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Lovenox wrote:

Hmmm. A guide for the recurring characters may be possible for the first episode review. (And honestly, I think it would be a good idea for my own benefit, as there was one character in the first episode whom I couldn't remember at all.) If I have time on Friday, I'll look at doing that.

Oh that'd help, actually I think I need an entire plot refresher along with characters. I didn't have this problem with Full Metal Panic after a decade delay between seasons, probably because the plot was pretty simple and we're restricted to a few main characters, but this one is much more convoluted.
Cabron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Key wrote:

You pretty much nailed it.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I’m surprised at how comparable this version of Gridman is to what I remember of the Americanized version, Superhuman Samurai Syber (sigh) Squad in the broad strokes of the set-up. The fights feel very sentai, I quite like it.

Second episode of Anima Yell was cute. That show is pure fluff. It’s hardly original but I like the characters a ton. I love when the lead takes off in the middle of one on one practice to help someone get change from under a vending machine. The yuri joke is telegraphed a mile away but fun and the first set of uniforms running gag is suitably ridiculous.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is the wrong place, don't know where else to ask.

I'm seeing series premier reviews come up, but I never saw the list of what's getting reviewed by who. Did I miss it or has it not been posted?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:

I'm seeing series premier reviews come up, but I never saw the list of what's getting reviewed by who. Did I miss it or has it not been posted?

Here you go.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Florete wrote:

Here you go.

I'd been looking for it ever since the poll went up so I don't know how I missed this. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 25