• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucky Star 6 LE Cancellation Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So what extras would people be missing with the loss of the last LE? Confused

Probably junk like more T-shirts and pencil boards.

Honestly, I never understood the whole point of a bunch of Bandai extras. I don't mind the CD soundtrack pack-ins but a bunch of the other stuff I can honestly live without.

I'm not surprised these LEs failed. They never sold that well to begin whether we were talking Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, or Haruhi Suzumiya. I can remember seeing H.S. LE editions sitting on the shelves up to a year AFTER the second volume was released! It was very easy until relatively recent to find H.S. LE's. They just weren't selling!

I'd rather get the DVDs with decent video extras and maybe a CD soundtrack but I really don't want to pay for other things that are only good for cosplay or can by worn by a really small girl! That's something a bunch of the hardcore just don't get. This isn't like the videogame LE's/CE's where the companies can actually show a profit. The international anime market is still far, far smaller than videogames.

I know there are fans for these things, but I was always disappointed by the fact that a lot of the B & M stores always had stock of the LE's but rarely saw the regular editions there for the people who DON'T want to pay for this extras schwag... That's space wasted and sales lost..

Agreed with people who say it's time for Bandai to move on to season sets for new releases. Do it like Funimation. The concept of singles is a dying one.

I know they're in somewhat desperate shape, but Bandai Ent USA gotta change their whole marketing and sales strategies with the utter failures of BV/Honneamise online and the LE editions.
mangamaxx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry *sniff* my cheerleader shirt *sob* I've been waiting for so long, and now nothing!!!!! Can't they just make limited quantities of the Limited Edition!?!? Weren't they suppose to do that to begin with!?
Jarmel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
It seems that they could do something like you would have to order from the website and they print out only 1000 or something or atleast make the cover available online. Otherwise some people got really screwed over by this. It seems with Gundam 00 they are releasing the manga with the LE and possibly releasing the box later(if they ever do).

This is def a blow to Bandai's reputation and if I was picking up the LEs I would be sending some hate mail their way right now. Luckily for me I'm not a huge fan of the show and decided to hold off on buying it so I'm just going to pick up the first LE and the rest as RE.
Chronomeister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well they lost me. Only reason I've been buying Lucky Star was the LE had all that other stuff. I was also looking forward to the Opening Remix CD unlike all the character songs. And crazy as it sounds I would wear the shirts in public. I don't plan getting Volume 6 now cause for me one odd package looks worse than one missing package.
mulrich

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Chronomeister wrote:
Well they lost me. Only reason I've been buying Lucky Star was the LE had all that other stuff. I was also looking forward to the Opening Remix CD unlike all the character songs. And crazy as it sounds I would wear the shirts in public. I don't plan getting Volume 6 now cause for me one odd package looks worse than one missing package.

This may sound harsh, but missing out on having the final episodes of the show just because the cover is different? You do realise how stupid that sounds, right?

I have the LEs of the first five volumes, but I'd rather have a complete collection that missing ONE DVD.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

mulrich wrote:
RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Brooklyn rage?

If he used Brooklyn rage, he would have to use his Brooklyn Karate as well.

I just had to throw that in there, once you said Brooklyn rage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
For the love of Haruhi, use reversible covers!
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm certainly not happy to see this. I've definitely been buying the LE version for all of the previous discs. It would have been nice if Bandai could have just done a smaller release of the LE version (maybe only purchasable directly from them or something), but that would probably still cost them too much money - particularly when they probably have to do a minimum size run of the t-shirts and such. And if it's not selling, it's not selling.

What I really wanted from the LEs were the CDs. If they don't release it separately, that means that the only way to get it is to order the Japanese version which won't be cheap. I don't know what the standard edition DVD covers look like, but having mismatching covers will be rather irritating. However, not getting another t-shirt won't be any loss. The Lucky Star shirts are not the kind of shirts that I could ever wear in public. The shirts that went with other shows - like GitS: SAC - are at least actually wearable. It wouldn't surprise me if the extra cost for shirts that people didn't want to wear are a good chunk of what killed the sales. In any case, however, the poor economy certainly doesn't help.

Still, I'm glad that they released 5 LEs and gave me the chance to get those extras rather than skipping out on the LEs entirely. Of course, it would be better in such a situation that the LE covers and the SE covers were the same, but thems the breaks I guess.

In either case, I think that it should be clear to Bandai that we're not happy about the cancelation and that that's worth complaining about, but if not enough people were buying, that's the way it goes. Bandai Entertainment is a business. If we don't buy their products, they won't be able to make more of them. Certainly boycotting their products because you don't like one of their business moves that was due to poor sales is not going to make it so that they sell what you want in the future. If anything, it's more likely to make it so that they go out of business and can't sell you anything in the future.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Be thankful any version of volume 6 got released at all.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
So, that's how it is, now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ShinigamTakuto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

Sure anything could happen in these times.

And I would have bought the LE if it didn't come with T-Shirts and came with something like pencil boards or a art booklet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
And will be for the foreseeable future.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Heck it is hard enough finding the regular version of Lucky Star (at least in the store) cause Best Buy stopped carrying it...

I don't usually buy the Limited Editions (though I have been tempted to). However I feel sorry for the people who do.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
ShinigamTakuto wrote:
Quote:
bleuster wrote:
Quote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Quote:

Sure anything could happen in these times.

Honestly, how many series are there which weren't completed? They certainly exist, but they're fairly rare. Most - if not all cases - involve a company stopping production of anime, outright going out of business, or losing the license.

There are a few series that ADV didn't complete because it lost the licenses to them, but I believe that all of those have been picked up by Funimation and are being released by them, so it's annoying, but we still get the full series. There were several series from Geneon that hadn't been fully released when they stopped producing anime, but most of those are now being released through Funimation, so we still get those.

Really, I don't think that there's much danger of series being left incomplete in most cases. Anything from ADV at the moment might be suspect do to their extremely poor financial health, but that's likely part of the reason that they're releasing box sets to begin with on their new licenses rather than singles.

Certainly, I wouldn't worry about Bandai finishing a series or not. The main question is how series are going to be released - be it singles, box sets with part of the series, box sets with the full series, sets of two singles at a time, Limited Edition releases, or whatever else they might do. In the case of Lucky Star, Bandai chose to release it in singles with Limited Edition version of those singles with extra stuff, and unfortunately, the LE versions didn't sell well enough to continue releasing them. The series itself is in no danger of not being completed.
Grico

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
While I can understand it from a sales perspective if they are losing money, are they losing enough money on them to be worth the fan ire? In this economy a few fans giving up on Bandai releases because of this could be a big negative. If they are going to still do singles in general decisions like this move people to the "wait for the set" mentality which will only hurt single sales more. Printing it in a low enough number to be profitable seems like a better idea than outright cancellation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9