• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's One Piece Simulcast Begins Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

Uhm... fansubs were out loooong before the technology for streaming was. Actually before the Internet as you know it, you had groups doing fandubs (Arctic Anime comes to mind) and prior to 1997 they were doing it legally (at least in the US, though since they were a Canadian group, I don't know what legal standard they were held to at that time).

Arctic Anime were constantly accused of being bootleggers ([url]http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts.anime.marketplace/
browse_thread/thread/aa6ab63f76435c79/c4729096ae8461e6?hl=en
&ie=UTF-8&q=Arctic+Anime#c4729096ae8461e6[/url]), it's not like it was legal then either, nor was there some sort hallowed golden age of fansubbing.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

Plus, last I checked these other free alternatives... YouTube does not host One Piece legally. (unless FUNimation uploaded it recently.) CrunchyRoll does not host One Piece at all. Hulu has it yes, but it's the same thing. The watermark is still there. And TV? One Piece isn't on there.

I think they may have just be generally referring to watching any anime for free. Before Funimation prevented me from watching it anyway because of where I live, I gave up on FMA: Brotherhood after the first episode.

Not because of the quality of the show, but because the experience of viewing it was so poor in comparison to other streaming sites. I found myself watching what Funi shows were on Joost or Chi's New Address on CR than struggle on with what Funimation were offering me.

With streaming video, the actual experience of viewing the show is more important than the show itself. Funi's streaming One Piece isn't just competing with fansubs of One Piece, it's competing with everything else that isn't One Piece, but is easier to watch.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you. I watch One Piece on the site because I love One Piece. All I care about is seeing the anime. =/

I honestly didn't think that anybody watched it for other reasons. D:
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Brack wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

Plus, last I checked these other free alternatives... YouTube does not host One Piece legally. (unless FUNimation uploaded it recently.) CrunchyRoll does not host One Piece at all. Hulu has it yes, but it's the same thing. The watermark is still there. And TV? One Piece isn't on there.

I think they may have just be generally referring to watching any anime for free. Before Funimation prevented me from watching it anyway because of where I live, I gave up on FMA: Brotherhood after the first episode.

Not because of the quality of the show, but because the experience of viewing it was so poor in comparison to other streaming sites. I found myself watching what Funi shows were on Joost or Chi's New Address on CR than struggle on with what Funimation were offering me.

With streaming video, the actual experience of viewing the show is more important than the show itself. Funi's streaming One Piece isn't just competing with fansubs of One Piece, it's competing with everything else that isn't One Piece, but is easier to watch.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you. I watch One Piece on the site because I love One Piece. All I care about is seeing the anime. =/

I honestly didn't think that anybody watched it for other reasons. D:

Part of the reasoning in screening a title is to appeal to new viewers, not just the devoted. That's why One Piece constantly recaps each episode any facts needed for the current episode. It's been running 10 years, it can't just appeal to the kid who was there at day one.

If you make it hard to watch, or a pain to watch, you aren't going to get the new viewers to stick around. Given that Viz are planning on playing catch up with the manga next year, then watching One Piece needs to be as easy to watch as Naruto is.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
How is it not?

Are you referring to issues with the video player? If that's so than I can agree with that. They definitely need to get that worked out. However Crunchy Roll has always gave me trouble as well. It's not just FUNimation's Video Player.
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
How is it not?

Are you referring to issues with the video player? If that's so than I can agree with that. They definitely need to get that worked out. However Crunchy Roll has always gave me trouble as well. It's not just FUNimation's Video Player.

Yes, though also the geoblocking is an issue too (though that's probably short sighted-ness on Toei's part).

So I can't actually check if it's improved since the days of 250MB streaming flash files, as I can't actually see the show, unlike Gintama and Naruto. But the size of the files Funimation were streaming when I could see it, was my main reason to not want to have anything to do with their site.

I've experienced some Crunchyroll problems too (normally the disappearing subtitles issue), but the actual content delivers a lot faster than Funimation's did. And Funimation's content delivers a lot faster on Joost too (a site I've had no issues with).
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:

Uhm... fansubs were out loooong before the technology for streaming was. Actually before the Internet as you know it, you had groups doing fandubs (Arctic Anime comes to mind) and prior to 1997 they were doing it legally (at least in the US, though since they were a Canadian group, I don't know what legal standard they were held to at that time).

Arctic Anime were constantly accused of being bootleggers ([url]http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts.anime.marketplace/
browse_thread/thread/aa6ab63f76435c79/c4729096ae8461e6?hl=en
&ie=UTF-8&q=Arctic+Anime#c4729096ae8461e6[/url]), it's not like it was legal then either, nor was there some sort hallowed golden age of fansubbing.

Apologies for the thread tunnel...

Please note that I made the reference specific to the US. Obviously, other countries interpretation of the law is different (and if they're keeping strictly to various international conventions, then it might not have been legal, based on that country's interpretation of items such as the Bearne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works... though the Convention's definition of "fair use" in some versions would permit an act such as fansubbing; every country is different).

In the US, there was the precedent set in US v. LaMacchia, where the defendant was found not guilty because he was not considered to be profiting from his actions ("illegal copying and distribution of copyrighted materials"). The courts sided with LaMacchia, indicating that since the defendant's acts were done without a request for compensation (though he did ask for donations to better provide services for those who wanted the materials he was accused of copying and distributing, he did so separately), and since there was nothing truly "physical" in the taking, that the court had to grant for LaMacchia's motion to be dismissed. It is interesting to note that the court did not justify what LaMacchia had done, but stated that the laws were currently inadequate to enforce charges against the defendant.

So, yes, the US courts (remember my comment was only based in my home country... laws of other countries might be different), may not have found such actions agreeable, but it could and would not enforce any action against people who were distributing copyrighted materials without profit.

A "golden age of fansubbing" it was not. But it was also non-punishable and non-enforceable at that time as well. The courts were very specific in stating that this was a matter more for legislature than for the courts at this time (i.e., you need to update the law or create a new one).

Fast forward to 1997 and you have the No Electronic Theft (NET) Act, which stated quite specifically that regardless of whether there was compensation exchanged or not, that the distribution of copyrighted materials without permission from the holder was a punishable offense. The NET Act was different from previous laws in that it not only removed the "by fan, for fan" style loopholes (often referred to as "LaMacchia's Loophole"), but was also the first true copyright law to use both civil and criminal penalities in it's writing (previous copyright laws usually had civil penalities, and criminal penalities were usually based separately on related charges or legislation).

Since Arctic Anime was in Canada, I do not know what laws they were subject to and I'm not going to try and BS my way through them (nor in the UK). However, in the US, the fansub movement was only able to get as far as it did prior to 1997 because the laws weren't there to deal with the act. Even if law enforcement wanted to go after fansubbers (probably not, as anime was such a niche genre at the time), it wouldn't have had the legal standing to until after the NET Act was passed (which also amended Titles 17 and 18 of the US Code).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4