• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonaut: The Resonance DVD part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
egoist wrote:
Or maybe this show is more popular with offline fans... you know, like the ones roaming around CR forums. If this show is within one's first 50 anime one probably could enjoy it... who knows.

I don't think it's up on crunchyroll, though (i'm assuming that's what you mean by CR?).

Basically, what I meant was that people roaming within CR forums would enjoy nearly anything. But no, I never meant to say Dragonaut is streaming on CR. I mean, have you ever seen their ratings and their forums? Everything is rated above 4 stars(out of 5). Wink
moohoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
egoist wrote:
Or maybe this show is more popular with offline fans... you know, like the ones roaming around CR forums. If this show is within one's first 50 anime one probably could enjoy it... who knows.

I don't think it's up on crunchyroll, though (i'm assuming that's what you mean by CR?).

Basically, what I meant was that people roaming within CR forums would enjoy nearly anything. But no, I never meant to say Dragonaut is streaming on CR. I mean, have you ever seen their ratings and their forums? Everything is rated above 4 stars(out of 5). Wink
Or maybe people need to stop wineing and take it or dont take it. but the CGI is not that bad iv seen 13 eps so far. to act like people who wach this will wach anything is just acting like people are to good for anything i buy my anime for 2 resons too support my anime and if i like the anime i dont use crunchyroll or thous fansub sites becuse to me there fansub sites kill anime as mp3 sites kill music dont want anime going down that path ps sorry for my eng i no its bad still trying here

[Edit: Remember, a decent grasp of english is expected as this is an english forum. Proper punctuation is pretty much part of the minimum, so please try to work on that as it's otherwise a painful to read block of disorderly text. - Keonyn]
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
And why should I be forced to buy crap simply because I want to support the industry? It's rather rational: don't buy crap you don't want to see more of around.
By the way, the act of using CR or watching fansubs won't stop you from buying DVDs.
"Oh, I don't watch fansubs because I support the anime industry!". Yeah, as if it works like that.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gonzo didn't create either of those shows. They were both manga or novel adaptations. But I still like them for their creations like Vandread, Last Exile, Burst Angel, and Solty Rei.

Oh you know what I meant!

Yes, yes, they, technically didn't "CREATE" them, but they produced one heck of an adaption!!!

Welcome to the NHK is, by far, one of the best animes about the harshness of human society and social isolation. Both of those aspects also made romance element in NHK to be quite satisfying...

Even though they didn't kiss or anything... (Episode 7 came close though!!!!!)

Saikano wasn't AS impressive to me as NHK, but the message it told was clear and painfully true...

I don't care what anyone says: Gonzo still has the potential to make masterpieces!
We just need to be patient...
And even IF they are done for good, well, we know they left a HUGE dent in Anime, and that alone makes me completely content all the same!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Basically, what I meant was that people roaming within CR forums would enjoy nearly anything. (...) I mean, have you ever seen their ratings and their forums? Everything is rated above 4 stars(out of 5). Wink

I know! I mean, I'm watching Natsume Yuujinchou and really enjoying it, but every episode is getting a 5/5 rating, which is ridiculous. It's very good, but I guess I tend to reserve that high a rating for complete masterpieces.

Otaking09 wrote:
I don't care what anyone says: Gonzo still has the potential to make masterpieces!
We just need to be patient...

Which is why so many fans, myself included, still at least watch the start of just about every show they produce. We really want that next masterpiece; a lot of GONZO hate is really GONZO disappointment.

And as for patience, well... their financial difficulties of late make me worry whether they're going to last much longer. Sad Hopefully if that day comes, their best and brightest will wind up at other studios, enriching them.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
And as for patience, well... their financial difficulties of late make me worry whether they're going to last much longer. Sad Hopefully if that day comes, their best and brightest will wind up at other studios, enriching them.

Actually, didn't a few guys at the top leave and start a new animation studio? I vaguely remember ANN reporting something like that a while ago.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Well, this sounds about as awful as I expected it to. Anime hyper

You and me both brother, I was just horrified on how bad this was. When I saw at the Alamo 2 weeks ago I didn't expect it to be that bad. Boy was I suprised. It was just pitiful on GONZO and Funimation's part.

The dub just felt plain lazy. The costant mispronoucing of the character's Japanese felt like the Funimation and Aniplex dubs of the latter 1990s. Hell I thought the 1996 Kenshin dub was bad!

The storyline was so messy and confusing I couldn't even find a character to relate to.

The CGU looked dated, like something on the Dreamcast from 1998! Of course that's not saying the Dreamcast is bad But this is the late 2000s!

Dragonaut, fails pure in simple. This from the creator of the Witchblade anime. By that instead. This is a waste of money. Piffle.

egoist wrote:
At first I thought this "You're not alone, I'm with you" thingy would be quite interested and enjoyable. About 2 episodes later(that's within the first 10 episodes), I began realizing how big their boobies were. Then I thought "Hell, I wanted some cute girl, not some boob mutant". The episodes got worse and worse, and at some point they began focusing on boobies. That's practically when I gave up on this crap. Must have been a pain in the ass to watch this series for the review.

I myself was just shocked on how terrible this title is.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
There's probably a reason as to why fansub groups did not bother translating episode 26 of the series and this review only further proves that point.

Even THEY know it's bad.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I watched the first couple episodes, and just couldn't stand it. The CG dragons were hideous, the character designs were absurd, the main character was an annoying jerk, his "best friend" was a whiny idiot, and the chick was indecisive. None of the other characters had enough characterization yet for me to judge them. Also, the premise and plot it tried to set up were just horribly done.

I myself just can't believe what a horrid pile of crap this latest effort from Gonzo is. Just why, WHY Gonzo after great releases, like Kaleido Star,Samurai 7,Witchblade,Desert Punk,Speed Grapher did you have to go and make this abomination?!

The ANN review was just too easy on this. The dub should get a pure F. Just terrible. Story: D I don't know what the hell is going on with the storyline.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So the first half of the show receives a D+ for probably the most important aspect. I'm betting you just can't wait for the the second half, where it gets even worse. Again, the statement on the final episode by the fansubbers comes to mind.

Trust me, the first volume was enough to convice me that there entire series is a utter FAIL!

[EDIT: In the future, do not use 4-5 consecutive posts to respond to points in different posts. Condense them into a single post, as I have done for you here. - Key]
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Actually, didn't a few guys at the top leave and start a new animation studio? I vaguely remember ANN reporting something like that a while ago.

There are two distinct offshoots right now.

A couple producers started David Production some time ago. They're contracting some of the same talent as modern Gonzo (i.e. some Shangri-La staff have been working on The Book of Bantorra, etc.), although they've yet to tackle any original productions.

The original founder started Lambda Film.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Well, this sounds about as awful as I expected it to. Anime hyper

You and me both sister, I was just horrified on how bad this was.

There, fixed. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4