• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Toradora! as Its First Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I am concerned if they can include a dub. They have problems having a full dub in their games lately and such unless its a NIS high profile title. But then again, they might have changed since then. I know it was very kind of them to do a two disc(one dub and one sub) for that Sakura Wars game.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Funi is putting out Blu Ray versions for almost everything now, and on the cheap, like real cheap.

Personally knowing something about it, I can't see how/why the process itself would be that costly.

Funi made a big equipment investment a few years ago, and they hired pros and do everything in-house. That's why they're pumping out so many discs -- they're spending a lot of money to have that ability, so they'd better make it pay off.

Someone like NIS would not have access to that sort of thing. Outsourced authoring is still pretty pricey, though it's come down a lot. Blu-ray is still small enough a part of the market that NIS would probably see it as more trouble than it's worth at this point.

We shall see...
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Not even the slightest bit interested in these titles, but it's intriguing to see someone new enter the market. Good luck to them and hopefully they do a quality job with their releases.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
With the current cost of entry for BluRay authoring, I'm pretty positive no new anime company is going to do BluRay on anything less than an A+ title. Too expensive.

configspace wrote:

Funi is putting out Blu Ray versions for almost everything now, and on the cheap, like real cheap.

Well, Funimation isn't a "new company." They've invested the upfront money for the ability to do it in-house and they now try spread that cost out over as many titles as possible.

I was just talking to Justin, and unbeknowest to me, the prices for Blu Ray have dropped significantly.

They're still not really reasonable for a company like NISA on limited run titles like these.

For an example of the costs, see here:

http://www.pacificdisc.com/PricingBluRay.html

Using these numbers, you're looking at a minimum $5040 for your first BluRay volume (1000 copies minimum). On top of that, authoring costs for a simple disc could be another $2k. That may not seem like a lot of money, but when you consider other costs (translation, licensing) and the retail value of the discs... it's just not worth it.

Assuming a $29.99 SRP single disc release, you've already spent over $7 / disc just on authoring/mastering/replicating. You're only getting $15 or so from wholesalers / distributors.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:05 am; edited 2 times in total
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
i havnt checked these anime, but almost all anime in the last few years get bluray releases in japan. even really really crappy ones. toradora PROBABLY got one but again, i havnt checked.

Just confirmed that, as I suspected, none of these four series have had Blu-Ray releases in Japan. It's really only been in the last year that Blu-Ray releases have become an increased standard for newly-released shows, and in fact only this past season where nearly every show has one (there are still a few exceptions for some reason). It's not quite as fast-moving as it seems, unfortunately.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
FUNimation, VIZ Media, Bandai Entertainment, Sentai Filmworks, Anime Works, and now NIS America. More anime licensee companies mean more competition.

On other hand, yay for the Toradora! and Pandora Hearts! Anime smile Looks forward to their release in April/May.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll get all four shows out before they go under. I kinda liked the first 5 episodes of Persona Trinity Soul, but I stopped watching it because the good group stopped subbing it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
I like the title they chose for Wagaya, translated well, yet contains the same idea. I really don't like wild translations that try to make it so hip and localized.

Good for Toradora! too.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
I hope they dub this. If it's their first venture, then I wouldn't expect big-name voice actors in it. I think that's a good thing because it opens the market for more talent. Not to mention it is quite annoying having the exact same cast for every show I watch.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
FUNimation, VIZ Media, Bandai Entertainment, Sentai Filmworks, Anime Works, and now NIS America. More anime licensee companies mean more competition.

On other hand, yay for the Toradora! and Pandora Hearts! Anime smile Looks forward to their release in April/May.

Don't know for Bandai sake but I think this an great grab for this license group, so expect alot more soon. Sunrise is creating their license group of their own as well.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Pandora Hearts though I'm surprised at the company putting it out along with Toradora which I always figured Funimation would pick up at some point.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Everyone is saying they'll buy it, but hopefully we will see who REALLY buys it.

I would only buy the first half of Toradora! That first half was gold. The rest of the show was complete and utter melodramatic crap. Might be interested in persona, but that's about it.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
redcar wrote:
Cloud668 wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't happy with this news? Seeing how much of a failure their localizations for Disgaea 3 and Cross Edge are when compared to the original Japanese scripts, I really do hope that another company would have picked it up than NIS, considering how Toradora is one of my favourite shows.

You're not the only one. I'm very skeptical about this, since I'm still not over the horrible job they did of localizing Ar Tonelico 2 (nigh-unavoidable text buffer errors that crash the game, removing Japanese voicing to match the parts of the dub they couldn't finish, lots of Engrish near the end showing a generally unfinished product, etc.). Given that they generally do a good job on their high-profile releases though, I suppose I should give them the benefit of the doubt with Toradora. I really do hope they treat this one with care, I'd hate to see such a good show get the same bad treatment as other good things like AT2.

Well, my issue with them really isn't on the bugs they have, considering how that can't happen in an anime (although I do know how frustrating it is). I am more concerned about how they will handle the translation, because their scripts are often localized to suit the American audience better, while losing the original meaning. And then again, when they don't do that, they might instead leave them unedited like you've pointed out.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't happy with this news?

To be honest, these days when anyone at all licenses a series I like and want to buy, I consider it good news.

Kruszer wrote:
It's good to know there's a new licensor in operation though. I just hope they put some effort into it and don't just put out those lazy sub-only releases.

At the risk of (re)starting a flame war, a sub-only release is not necessarily lazy. Right Stuf/Nozomi's sub-only releases are brilliant (leaving aside the absence of a dub, which is certainly a deal-breaker for many people). NeoADV's sub-only releases could be called lazy though, if you're being charitable to them.

As a newcomer to the anime market, I'd expect NIS to be closer to the NeoADV end of the scale than the Right Stuf/Nozomi end, though. Which is a shame, because I really would like to see Toradora get a good release, but I'll settle for any release.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
-insert random fangirling here-

I don't want to bee too skeptic but I'm hoping things come out well with these titles.
I'm really excited.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17