• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: The Rose of Versailles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, especially in Britain. Comics for girls did a lot better in the UK than they did in the US. There were over 50 girl's anthology titles published in Britain, just between 1950 and 1980 and some of them were around for decades - Bunty came out weekly for 43 years.

Hey, look what I found. I've read atleast half of the stories on that page! I wish I still had my old Debbies and Tinas. It'd be fun to compare Britisch comics to their Japanese equivalents.

Quote:
I think all of the more popular titles (School Friend, Girl, Bunty, Jackie, Tammy etc.) sold pretty well until the bottom fell out of the market in the late 80s and 90s. Most of them managed sales of anywhere from 200,000 to 500,000 per week but School Friend and Jackie both sold over a million copies a week at the height of their popularity.

That's even more than I expected. It's kinda funny how people are aware of how popular certain weeklies are in Japan, but have no idea Britain (and several other European countries) had comics for girls that sold just as well.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
A long time ago I received "Manga! Manga!" I believe as a Christmas present. I think maybe 1997. I remember being very fond of the English excerpts of some great manga in the back of the book. Since I was freshly 12 years old at the time I wasn't much for actually reading the very in-depth text of the rest of the book. Haha. The bit of Rose of Versailles there absolutely captured my heart. The rest of the manga being near impossible to find was so sad, but I did get to watch the whole anime series via VHS fansub in 2000. The series remains a fond favorite, and someday I hope to get to read the whole manga. I'd even venture to read it all in Japanese if I had the opportunity!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the anime, but the feeling I had at the end of it was one of pure satisfaction, like after you've finished a good, hearty meal. The 1970's was a great decade for manga. There were so many good *stories* -- filler free, with something to say, and sometimes really uncompromising.
Adonisus

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Man...I've been waiting for something like this from ann for quite some time!

I'm obsessed with old manga, and I love the older art styles for some reason.

Hey Jason, are you taking suggestions for future topics? Because I can think of a few classics that deserve a bit more attention.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked the article but The Rose of Versailles seemed like a pretty obscure but worthy choice.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
That's even more than I expected. It's kinda funny how people are aware of how popular certain weeklies are in Japan, but have no idea Britain (and several other European countries) had comics for girls that sold just as well.

There were girl's comics in the US too.

Conventional histories of US comics dramatically overstate the importance of superheroes prior to the "Silver Age", when the Comics Code Authority effectively banned anything that wasn't a superhero comic or a mediocre melodrama.
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll like this column, since I really liked Shaenon K. Garrity's Overlooked Manga Festival.
Also, I basically purchased Frederik Schodt's Manga! Manga! The World of Japanese Comics when I saw that it had excerpts from Phoenix: Karma and Rose of Versailles.

That being said, I found this first column a little difficult to read...
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

Conventional histories of US comics dramatically overstate the importance of superheroes prior to the "Silver Age", when the Comics Code Authority effectively banned anything that wasn't a superhero comic or a mediocre melodrama.

Could you name/show me some examples? I know there were some comics out there, but I thought many of them were more like gender neutral or were simply a girly take on the superhero genre and could still be read by boys because the girls were so sexy. I also know there were plenty of romance comics, but were they specifically written for girls/young women?

Britain, the Netherlands and several other European countries had multiple popular weeklies, monthlies and annuals dedicated to bringing girls their dose of comics together with fashion tips, quizes, an advice column and other fun stuff.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
nargun wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

Could you name/show me some examples? I know there were some comics out there, but I thought many of them were more like gender neutral or were simply a girly take on the superhero genre and could still be read by boys because the girls were so sexy. I also know there were plenty of romance comics, but were they specifically written for girls/young women?

Britain, the Netherlands and several other European countries had multiple popular weeklies, monthlies and annuals dedicated to bringing girls their dose of comics together with fashion tips, quizes, an advice column and other fun stuff.

American romance comics had a huge share of the market in the late '40s and early '50s (over 150 different titles in 1950) but between being attacked by the various campaigns against comics and the competition from cheap paperback novels, radio shows and TV soap operas they didn't stay all that popular for very long. I think they mostly skewed towards a slightly older demographic than the British titles and they didn't often (if ever) have long, ongoing storylines.

David Hajdu's excellent book The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare And How It Changed America is well worth reading if you're interested in finding out more.

Oh, and Carol Lay did an absolutely brilliant parody of old American romance comics that was collected a few years ago as Goodnight, Irene - The Collected Stories Of Irene Van de Kamp by Last Gasp. Buy it - you'll love it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
Coincidently, I'm currently halfway through The Ten-Cent Plague. Very informative, but it's not very clear on who read those comics. It's usually 'everyone', 'kids' or 'teens'. I guess that makes sense since the publishers didn't really care who read their comics as long as they sold well enough. If crime sold, everyone made crime stories. If romance sold, everyone published romance stories, if Archie sold, everyone tried to come up with an Archie clone.

It's very different from the British publishers who knew who they wanted to sell their comics to: pre- and early teenage girls. Plus, even though these were also drawn by men, the girls are usually a lot less sexy than the ones in American comics that were read by girls. I wouldn't want to imagine what Betty and Veronica would look like if they were real! Laughing

Do you know anything about From Girls to Grrlz : A History of Women's Comics from Teens to Zines and The Great Women Cartoonists by Trina Robbins? When I started looking for information about American comics for girls these two titles came up.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Do you know anything about From Girls to Grrlz : A History of Women's Comics from Teens to Zines and The Great Women Cartoonists by Trina Robbins? When I started looking for information about American comics for girls these two titles came up.

I'm afraid I haven't read any of her stuff. I keep meaning to pick up the Brinkley Girls collection she put together for Fantagraphics though - if you want early (pre-war) American comics for women, that should be a good starting point.

You can see a 12-page preview here that shows some of Brinkley's stunning cover art.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

I was just about to suggest that book. According to Robbins tons of girls read comics in the 50's (I think... I read her book like ten years ago). There were loads of romance titles. Only a few characters survived, like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, who enjoys perennial popularity to this day.The book ends before the manga boom of the 2000's.

In the interest of full disclosure I should add that Robbins is writing a comic for the company I'm interning at. Robbins has been a comic writer for 30 years, according to her website.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Chinatsu wrote:
wait wait! so when you mean it's been translated all over the world. Does that mean there may be a Spanish version out there? Cause if there is I'm going to track it down >Very Happy

My question exactly! What is its Spanish title?

BTW, while Erica rarely points to reviews in the Yuri Network News, the combination of Rose of Versailles here and Maka-Maka at 365 Days of Manga snared a mention.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. Here's to 999 more.

I picked up Manga! Manga! at a used bookstore last week, mainly for the excerpts. There's still a few new copies on amazon, I'm surprised it's still in print.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I went to France once, and one of the things I regret the most is never buying the Rose of Versailles manga there. It has never been published in Mexico and I can't get an import of any other place. Sad
Great column, I expect more delighful suprises like this in the future Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5