• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America Adds Durarara!! Anime with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
I will definitely be buying this one, my bank account is going to hate me.
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think they will probably use the Bandai store exclusively again, and with good reason.

Even by January, DRRR!! won't have completed its DVD release in Japan, so there would be legitimate concerns of reverse importation.

So that's why they'll use the Bandai store which will only ship to USA & Canada.

Don't give me crap, Reverse Importation is a phantom dreamed up by the Japanese completely ignoring the fact that if their media was priced and packaged much more like American media, they wouldn't have a problem.

I tell ya I wish I could be excited for this because I loved Baccano to death, but this has too many red flags for me from the outset. First off, I haven't seen a japanese company get ANYTHING right in the American market, we've seen it with Toei, we saw it with Bandai Visual, and we saw it coming out of the gates with Aniplex America with their Gurren Lagan movies. $30 for an anime movie thats one audio track, no thanks man, I'll save my money. The extras still place the limited edition disks to about $50 online, WHY ARE WE OKAY WITH IT?

And tell me, why are we okay with possibly paying $60 for about 8 episodes? Thats basically the old individual pricing scheme right there...at least if Funimation had this show, you'd get 13 episodes for about $40...maybe a little less even.

Bottom line is, I'm not looking forward to hearing the news on this release cause I think Aniplex America hasn't learned the past sins of BV or Toei and will try to adopt a more Japanese style of pricing scheme to the media that they are going to release, and outside of us, its just not going to fly with some fans that are going to be frugal with their pocketbooks, myself included. I'd much rather spend $45 and get the whole Tenchi in Tokyo box than pay $60 for only a third of the series.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
GARlock wrote:
But what is the deal with Shizuo's name spelled as 'Shizuho' in that trailer? I hope that's just a typo, because that annoys me to no end.

Given that his name is explicitly written in romaji in the second OP, that had better be a typo.

For that matter, anyone know how Aniplex did on the Gurren Lagann subs? Nice translation? Kinda hinky? Honorifics?
Netstryke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
Aniplex picking up DRRR was a given. but I did NOT see the dub coming from Aniplex.

Well Played, Aniplex! (There goes my money in January)
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
Interesting that Aniplex of America decided to take a chance on this for their first(?) dub, when the Gurren Lagann movie dubs would have been safer. I'm still holding out hope that they eventually get dubbed, especially now that they have made a move like THIS.

Interesting to see where on TV Durarara!! will end up, if it ends up anywhere. [as] in 2011, maybe? Naaaah, probably Syfy Ani-Monday. After all, they got Gurren Lagann, also an Aniplex production/distribution. 'course then Manga Entertainment would need to be involved.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
What I want to know is who is dubbing in it - as in which company. Is Aniplex trying to do this themselves (I sure hope not)? Are we getting a good, experienced company doing this - like Bang Zoom? Or are they doing something like getting dubbed out in Singapore? As much as I'd like to know the cast, that's secondary to which company is doing it. If an experienced company is doing it, then odds are that the cast will be good. If it's the folks out in Singapore of one of the insanely cheap dubbing studios in the US, then who knows.

I'm definitely glad that this is coming to US and that this is getting a dub, but I'm not happy with Aniplex's releasing scheme with regards to store and pricing (it doesn't sound like much of anyone is really). And if spoiler[Isaac and Miria] are in it (I haven't seen all of the show yet, so that's certainly news to me but definitely cool news), then it would have been that much better had Funimation picked it up. As it is, it's probably pretty iffy that they'll use Michael Tatum and Caitlin Glass, and it'll be a lot better if they do - certainly for consistency, and probably for quality as well (particularly when they were so fantastic).

So, this news is good, but truth be told, Aniplex is really going to have to prove themselves or I'm going to be groaning ever time that they're the ones to release a show. And I hate feeling that way. At least they're doing a dub this time around.

Of course, what I'd really like would be a Blu-ray release, but no sign of that as of yet. And I'd really hate to double-dip at their prices if they re-release it on BD later.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Bandai: K-ON
Funi: Tenchi series
Aniplex: DRRR

It can only get better from here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
Where can you go to audition for said dub?

Your agent should know. Very Happy
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
they've also pretty much confirmed Working for US release (from bayoab's live blog):

21:20:54 <bay> Q: Working to the US?
21:21:03 <bay> A: we're working on it
21:21:18 <bay> You will hear the annoucnement quite soon
21:21:23 <bay> but I can't say any further at this point
21:21:26 <bay> (he's the licensing manager)

You've gotta be...

What is this? Heaven for the anime fans day?

not heaven, but utopia.

first bandai with K-On - subbed or dubbed I will buy it.
then nozomi with So-Ra-No-Wo-To: the military version of K-On
then sentai films, with not only a simulcast of high school of the dead, but also announcing that it will be released on DVD with a dub: double whammy!!!
then funimation with: a certain magical index, the spin-off, railgun, and season 2 of shana including movie and OVA...
and if it is true that aniplex is getting working! I will cream my pants.

all that is left is VIZ Media, I dont know if I can handle any more good news...
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
they've also pretty much confirmed Working for US release (from bayoab's live blog):

You've gotta be...

not heaven, but utopia.

then sentai films, with not only a simulcast of high school of the dead, but also announcing that it will be released on DVD with a dub: double whammy!!!
then funimation with: a certain magical index, the spin-off, railgun, and season 2 of shana including movie and OVA...

all that is left is VIZ Media, I don't know if I can handle any more good news...

Whatever it is, it'll be a good dub coming Very Happy.

And really? First it was Durarara, then it was DRRR, now it's Working? Before you know it, the entire box for the show will be covered in names!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
Zac remarked in another thread that all this stuff about "Working" is highly speculative. Nothing has been confirmed at all about that title.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
This news falls somewhere between very pleasant surprise and impending clusterfuck. Time will tell where on that spectrum. I think it's fantastic that they're dubbing it but I'm always wary of a Japanese company dubbing a series. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to just put it in the hands of a competent company and not interfere. The pricing scheme is pushing it a bit but three sets isn't horrible. So long as they don't go and distribute it only through Bandai's store anyway.
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
I will try to fit this into my budget lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

You've gotta be...

not heaven, but utopia.

all that is left is VIZ Media, I don't know if I can handle any more good news...

Whatever it is, it'll be a good dub coming Very Happy.

Skip Beat! and Cross Game tomorrow from Viz...i hope....and maybe yakitate!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Aniplex was also an American anime licensing company! Are they new or have they been doing this for some time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7