• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Gender Rolls

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Meygaera wrote:
As westerners I think we need to be a role-model here and do two things. Have more MEN who give up their careers to take care of the children, and adopt girls from Asian countries whose families have abandoned them.

Why should we do that? The world is already overpopulated, in many areas *very* overpopulated, and you want to encourage that?

Japan isn't going away. So it's population is decreasing. So what? You bring up "nature" and then ignore the fact that when our populations exceed local resources, it is natural for those populations to shrink. But no, all you seem to see is "we need more people!" As if the world should work at keeping up with the extreme population densities found in China and India.

You want us to be role models? Then the model they should be following is to reduce birth rates. Many First World nations have already done this, and it is only through immigrants from less developed countries that still pump out big families that their populations are increasing: it's the more primitive cultures that still encourage big families, not the advanced ones.

All this hand-wringing over Japan's population is solely due to the social and especially economic issues that it brings up: namely, government programs which depend on massive amounts of tax money to be paid in. Ponzi schemes require an ever-increasing base to keep working, and without that sort of growth they start to fall apart. The old are depending on the young to support them, and not as family obligations, but as societal/governmental obligations, which are largely impersonal by nature. Pretty much all the 1st World nations are in the same boat, but Japan has the added problem of not being able to bring in a bunch of 2nd and 3rd Worlders willing to work their lives away to keep the system going.

Japan may have to go through a certain amount of rebalancing in the future. But in the end it might be a good thing for them if they can create a more stable society that isn't selling out future generations. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up: whether their pride as a people is stronger than the greed of the powerful. If they start importing a bunch of cheap labor, you'll know then which side won, and Japan's culture will start to lose its distinctness.

As for the rest of Asia, China in particular is a disaster waiting to happen. Trying to relieve the population pressure by importing their excess children isn't going to help. The sheer scale will make such gestures meaningless. China is rushing to outstrip all resources it can easily obtain, and once it does that, it'll have to use force (not necessarily military force) to obtain more. That's why it's modernizing its military and positioning itself globally the way it is right now: in preparation.

So, you might think you're doing a Wonderful Thing, but you're really not. If you strongly feel the need to adopt, then look closer to home. I'm sure there are plenty of kids around you that could use a loving home. There's no need to go all the way to China to find kids like that.

I would rather have child that not's addicted to some kind of illegal substance or has been beaten/sexually abused and thrown into the child welfare/care system that is oh so good about placing kids in decent homes if you are rich enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
Here, the Economist had a nice write up on the subject, with bonus quotes from everyone's favorite Tokyo mayor.
As westerners I think we need to be a role-model here and do two things. Have more MEN who give up their careers to take care of the children,
I am not sure how practical that is, I dare say. Even France may only be raising it's birthrate through the immigration of North Africans. The North European countries have more children, but still rely on immigration to maintain their population level. I am not optimistic on the capacity of any modern attempt to rearrange daily life. Humankind was made to be a forager and hunter, not to live a bourgeois existence.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion is always the textbook example, and there's a very good reason why it still holds up. All of the crap the characters deal with - the depression, the anxiety, the abandonment - came from a very real place within Hideaki Anno's tortured mind.

Oh, for the love of the deity of your choosing...

The amazing thing about Evangelion is that everyone wasn't suffering from depression, anxiety or abandonment. It's the end of the world as nobody could imagine it but it only matters how it affects a trio of japanese teenagers who have parental issues?

I could accept it as a straight up drama but against a backdrop as strange as gigantic alien shapes attacking from space called Angels which are being repelled by giant humanoid cyborg things, any discussion or relating this to real psychological problems is pretty much supposition at best, Anno's midlife crisis at worst.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I would rather have child that not's addicted to some kind of illegal substance or has been beaten/sexually abused and thrown into the child welfare/care system that is oh so good about placing kids in decent homes if you are rich enough.

Wait, what? Are you saying that all kids up for adoption in the US are addicted to drugs or have been beaten/sexually abused? Hmm... Somehow, *I* wasn't addicted to drugs or beaten/sexually abused when I was adopted at birth. Over-generalize, much? Really, why not just call all adoptees drug addicts or victims of abuse while you're at it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
In regards to mental disorders, one must also remember the social aspect. Japan simply don't consider them things in the first place. The West are the ones obsessed with putting every little 'not normal' trait under a label of a mental disorder. Don't like authority? You have anti-social personality disorder! Socially awkward? You have Asperger's! Now I don't mean to delegitimatize these things. They do exist, people have them, and they do deserve help, but we can get carried away with them sometimes (being homosexual used to be a mental disorder).

Japanese society will look at the rebellious and socially awkward and just shrug it off. "That's just how they are" they might say. Mashiro is often described as being 'off' or 'special', but rather than some disorder it's just considered to be part of who she is.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Wait, what? Are you saying that all kids up for adoption in the US are addicted to drugs or have been beaten/sexually abused? Hmm... Somehow, *I* wasn't addicted to drugs or beaten/sexually abused when I was adopted at birth. Over-generalize, much? Really, why not just call all adoptees drug addicts or victims of abuse while you're at it.

It depends on the area of where you live, I don't live in decent area and believe me it's much easier for a person to have kid than adopt one. Yes I was using sterotypes as well however that's the type of area and what I am used to seeing being from Louisville, I meant no offense. In all honesty I think any child any where needs a good home despite where they are from, but we are going way way off subject here.

On subject to single myself out for making myself looking like an a** I actually do have Asperger's Spectrum Syndrome and tend to think before typing or speaking at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Why should we do that? The world is already overpopulated, in many areas *very* overpopulated, and you want to encourage that?

I'm confused here, adopting children increases world population how? They are already born...

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Japan isn't going away. So it's population is decreasing. So what?

This is a real pessimistic conclusion to the article Melanchthon and I read. The issue wasn't a declining population, but of the change of social norms regarding family life, specifically the role of the woman. Nowhere did we say that this issue is a bad or good thing. The article just stated the facts. It also stated the reason for the facts. The reasons included the fact that women have a much larger burden in family life than men do. I concluded that in the West, more men should take up the reigns of child rearing, since nowadays it is very common for a woman to hold a high paying job; enough to support a family. I also suggested adopting girls from Asian countries, because we all know they are killed off early or aborted if they aren't wanted. If the West takes in their women, it's only a matter of time until they realize that women are important.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If you strongly feel the need to adopt, then look closer to home. I'm sure there are plenty of kids around you that could use a loving home.

I agree with you here. I may have appeared over zealous when I mentioned adopting children from foreign countries. I meant to use that as a segue from the selective abortion. Adopting children is a good thing, no matter where you adopt from.

On subject to single myself out for making myself looking like an a** I actually do have Asperger's Spectrum Syndrome and tend to think before typing or speaking at times.

Err... everyone is guilty of doing that no matter their syndrome but, c'mon adopting children in America means they are "broken" in someway, I really don't know where you get that idea. But it is just sad that you think that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well Vaisaga, that's partly why Japan has such a high suicide rate. Maybe some countries go too far in assigning labels to those who aren't mentally ill, but Japan's refusal to look after the mental health of its citizens is very sad. There's very little official support in place to help the mentally ill out, and people aren't expected to make a fuss anyway, so it's not like they can seek help from friends and family. The upshot of all this is that you get people who bottle things in until they explode, either lashing out against others or, more commonly, just taking their own lives.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
kakitamike wrote:
While I didn't hate the show, I don't get why it was championed by so many people. It was a story that's been told before and felt phoned in starting with episode 10.

I like that he lumped it in with lost property, strike witches and bund. Not because I agree, but I figured it would make for good comment reading material.

Also, it's not exactly open minded to dump hate on this guy because he doesn't like a show you liked.

Right, I'm not open minded and I dump hate because I have a response that is critical. And Madoka has so been done already. Next.

But it really has been done before.

I'm willing to hear you out on that, but I don't speak AMV.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well Vaisaga, that's partly why Japan has such a high suicide rate. Maybe some countries go too far in assigning labels to those who aren't mentally ill, but Japan's refusal to look after the mental health of its citizens is very sad. There's very little official support in place to help the mentally ill out, and people aren't expected to make a fuss anyway, so it's not like they can seek help from friends and family. The upshot of all this is that you get people who bottle things in until they explode, either lashing out against others or, more commonly, just taking their own lives.

Well, that also has a lot to do with Japan not viewing suicide as something shameful.

But yeah, in one way it's nice Japan doesn't define people by their disorders like we tend to do. On the other, as you said, some people don't get the help they need.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the area of where you live, I don't live in decent area and believe me it's much easier for a person to have kid than adopt one. Yes I was using sterotypes as well however that's the type of area and what I am used to seeing being from Louisville, I meant no offense. In all honesty I think any child any where needs a good home despite where they are from, but we are going way way off subject here.

Don't sweat it. I really wasn't very irritated by what you said. I mainly responded that way to highlight the fact that you were making overly broad generalizations. It would take a lot more than that to actually offend me. Razz

Meygaera wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I'm confused here, adopting children increases world population how? They are already born...

I'll explain. What you are advocating is a way for people in places like China to be able to avoid responsibility for their actions. You're letting them off the hook for having the kids in the first place. Instead of them having to deal with the children they produced, you're allowing them to essentially export their excess children. But from a global perspective, the population is still being increased. And from a more regional perspective, the number of children that will be exported through adoption is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall number of unwanted children involved (as I said previously). You're not really solving the overall issue by adopting kids from places like China.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Japan isn't going away. So it's population is decreasing. So what?

Quote:
This is a real pessimistic conclusion to the article Melanchthon and I read. The issue wasn't a declining population, but of the change of social norms regarding family life, specifically the role of the woman.

My response was to your post, not to the article you cited. I probably should've read it beforehand, but I guess Cecilthedarkknight_234 isn't the only one who can go off half-cocked (not that I think that I said anything wrong). I've since read the article, however. It was interesting, and pretty much echoed my own expectations on the subject (though with way more facts).

But you said you found my response "pessimistic." But I don't think I was being pessimistic at all. Quite the opposite: I think Japan's decrease in population (and changes in gender roles and expectations) is a good thing. A very good thing. In fact, I felt I was being *optimistic*, since I believe that Japan is already very overpopulated, and we all know what a resource-poor nation it is. If they are able to maintain a (relatively) stable society with a level but reduced population level, that would be an excellent outcome IMO.

Quote:
Nowhere did we say that this issue is a bad or good thing. The article just stated the facts. It also stated the reason for the facts. The reasons included the fact that women have a much larger burden in family life than men do. I concluded that in the West, more men should take up the reigns of child rearing, since nowadays it is very common for a woman to hold a high paying job; enough to support a family. I also suggested adopting girls from Asian countries, because we all know they are killed off early or aborted if they aren't wanted. If the West takes in their women, it's only a matter of time until they realize that women are important.

Did you read the last couple of paragraphs in the article? You might want to go and do that. It *did* say some issues were bad things (or would lead to bad things). In fact, it said that some bad outcomes were all but inevitable now.

I doubt you'll get too many men interested in the idea of "taking up the reins of child-rearing." Not in the way I expect you mean. In fact, just like the article says, Westerners of both sexes are less and less interested in child-rearing or even marriage. On an individual level, I'm sure you'll find people who are willing to do what you're talking about, but not on a larger scale.

IMO, the Asian countries are experiencing all of this turmoil because they have a long way to go socially -- the jump into the modern era for many Western nations was less severe than it is for close-minded -- excuse me, "traditional" -- Asian nations. It's no surprise that certain ideas take hold and are acted upon much sooner than others, resulting in social turbulance... just as the article states.

One last thing: did you notice that the writers of those books about the importance of traditional families and values were often written by very powerful and/or influencial people? Prime Ministers, the (now ex-) Governor of Tokyo, etc? They like the current system because they benefit greatly from it. It's how they keep the cash cow spraying cash into the bucket. But it's pretty brutal on the women, and as women become more educated and are able to see things from a new point of view (one outside the Traditional System), they're starting to *realize* how bad it is. Gender equality in the West had a much easier road to take than in the East, and again the article commented pretty extensively on that.

Anyhow, it was a good article and I'm glad I read it. I still disagree with the conclusions you reached, but I can understand what you actually meant now.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If you strongly feel the need to adopt, then look closer to home. I'm sure there are plenty of kids around you that could use a loving home.

Quote:
I agree with you here. I may have appeared over zealous when I mentioned adopting children from foreign countries. I meant to use that as a segue from the selective abortion. Adopting children is a good thing, no matter where you adopt from.

I am definitely not a fan of selective abortion. But I am a fan of population control, especially voluntary population control. I honestly think that over-population is the single greatest problem we face, so I sometimes get pretty animated about it.
shoddyworksucks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Actually, Japan's falling birth rate has the same cause of every other country with a falling birthrate: female education. You give your girls an education and a career, and the birth rate falls right off a cliff. In Japan, it is exacerbated however, by the fact that there is no opportunity to balance a career with a family.

Yes, I've read other articles that elucidated upon women's views on marriage in Japan, namely that marriage is the death of freedom. Why spend years going to college and building a career when custom and culture will force you to quit after you get married? I specifically was bringing up the declining marriage rates and difficult nature of Japanese courtship in order to illustrate the appeal of escapist media starring opposite gender leads.
flawed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
Wow someone actually thinks there's less nudity in anime(s) today then 15-20 years ago. Watch more then something thats been released in the last decade like Ranma 1/2 or DB/DBZ uncut, those aired on TV with nudity. Japan's TV laws are actually more strict today then they were 20 years ago.

All characters are based off of a stereotype or a mixture of stereotypes, it's how they are created and developed. Using the E7 example, how would we the audience have changed the stereotype recognition if the main character had been a girl instead of a boy? Would we care, would the stereotype change from being an "emo" to being well ... a girl.

Also while stereotypes are generally recognizable by the audience universally, how the audience reacts to said stereotype may change by region, country, sex, age, nationality, etc., etc. Now certain areas might not recognize a "mental disorder" however they do acknowledge the mental output as shown by the stereotypes.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Well, that also has a lot to do with Japan not viewing suicide as something shameful.

But yeah, in one way it's nice Japan doesn't define people by their disorders like we tend to do. On the other, as you said, some people don't get the help they need.

Suicide isn't shameful in Japan? Gonna have to disagree with you there. Depression and even dissatisfaction are shameful in Japan, suicide no less so. The mindset of committing suicide over things like honor and whatnot is pretty much all past history now.

And as far as mental disorders go... You're right in that people in Japan don't usually classify others by such distinctions. It's, instead, more of a "you fit in or you don't, and if you don't, then just go die in a fire or something, weirdo". Japanese social culture can be very alienating and cruel. There are plenty of great things about Japan, but I consider its healthcare system (and understanding) to be behind much of the modern world.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Quote:
I look at a show like Madoka Magica (which ANN was raving about) and see a viciously manipulative story where young girls run around in outfits that would make strippers blush

Someone has never been to a strip club

lol that is what I thought.

Sorry dude but if you want people to take your criticism of a show seriously then don't start out with a statement like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13