• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Shocking Betrayals Out of Left Field

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Optitron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, rare instance where I knew almost everything on the list (only exception is Berserk and I have no intention of fixing that). I can't really argue with any choices either... except maybe Villetta, and only because, as others have mentioned, lots of the characters in Code Geass betray each other. In fact, spoiler[I'm not sure there's a single character that Lelouch doesn't betray at some point, including Nunnally!]

I do have two alternates that jumped to mind almost immediately after seeing the List's title. One is spoiler[Master Asia] from G Gundam while the other is spoiler[Lee] from R.O.D the TV... come to think of it, spoiler[you could argue that Mr. Joker and the entire British Library betrayed Yomiko in rather spectacular fashion.]

Ooh, I just thought of another one: The horrific and brutal betrayal of the entire main cast by spoiler[Syaoran, or rather 'copy' Syaoran] in Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations. I can't believe I initially forgot this one.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Magic Knight Rayearth has spoiler[Princess Emeraude].

And I can't believe I forgot that one as well.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Noooooo! I haven't gotten to that part in Utena yet!

EDIT: The friend of mine showing it to me tells me there's plenty to enjoy about getting there.

*sigh* Moving on...

I love dragons(used to be draconic Otherkin). My favorite from the list is definitely Filia Ul Copt of Slayers Try. As others have said, the lack of Dragon Drive(a much better manga)'s Chibi is a rather glaring oversight. However, I'll *overlook* it this time. ha ha Dragons are so underused in anime.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Yui is one of my most hated manga/anime characters ever. And I don't hate very many. What an awful b****. Terrible personality, drama queen, selfish and uncaring. Cannot stand her. She's not even a love to hate them character. She's just hated. Fushigi Yuugi is one of my all-time favorites and she's one of the reasons why... but for all the wrong reasons. Go Miaka!

And my vore for best dragon? Filia ul Copt of course! No one else is better. Smile
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
lolwut?
Kyubey betrayed nobody.
spoiler[He never said he was on their side, he never outright lied or backstabbed.
They just never asked. If I were in his position I'd do it no differently.
There was no legitimate trust to betray.]
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
Wow, rare instance where I knew almost everything on the list (only exception is Berserk and I have no intention of fixing that).

What's your beef with Berserk? The manga is one of the most amazingly written things ever to touch paper.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
Yui's reason for betrayal has to be the most headbanging for me.
"What? You didn't come back only to rescue me, but to be reunited with your boyfriend too? I hate you! I want you dead! I want your friends dead! I want all they're loved ones and your whole country dead too!"

I mean...cripes that's dumb
Optitron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Optitron wrote:
Wow, rare instance where I knew almost everything on the list (only exception is Berserk and I have no intention of fixing that).

What's your beef with Berserk? The manga is one of the most amazingly written things ever to touch paper.

It's nothing personal. I just don't like stuff that's so gory. It could be the most well written piece of fiction in the world, but when I start seeing that many severed limbs and fountains of blood in a book I lose all desire to read it. I prefer works that choose to convey their meaning primarily through dialogue rather than extreme violence. Its the same reason I don't bother with the bulk of summer blockbusters and action flicks. So while it may be true that I'm missing out on an amazing work of art, I know there are other works I can go to instead that satisfy my need for great stories without having to see one character decapitate another or something similarly grotesque.

Edit: By the way, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt that Filia deserved some love in this week's poll.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Le Chevalier D'Eon has a few, but the most notable being spoiler[Teillagory]. The way the last few episodes played out was unexpected, convoluted, and sad.

You mean the betrayal that was spoilt by the OP, and so the audience knew about it right from the very start of the show? Yeah, you can't really say it was all that surprising.

The only time for me that the credits have had a bigger spoiler is when the first ED of Legend of the Galactic Heroes spoilt which one of Reinhard and Yang Wen-li would spoiler[die first, and which character would replace him against the remaining admiral.] I knew for over seventy episodes how that rivalry would turn out. So bloody annoyed.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

You mean the betrayal that was spoilt by the OP, and so the audience knew about it right from the very start of the show? Yeah, you can't really say it was all that surprising.

I'm glad I wasn't paying attention quite that closely.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
What, no spoiler[Yukiho] from Idolmaster Xenoglossia? For shame.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
I'm glad I wasn't paying attention quite that closely.

You didn't have to paying all that much attention. I mean, it's not like I scour the OP and ED of shows that I watch, hoping that I could figure out future storylines just from what snippets we get. With both titles that I mentioned before, I just casually watched the credits*, caught the scenes in question (both of which, by the way, are about as subtle in their spoilers as a hammer to the skull), and that was that. I'm hardly eagle-eyed.

I usually watch OPs and EDs once or twice in the beginning and then never again unless they're particularly good.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
What, no spoiler[Yukiho] from Idolmaster Xenoglossia? For shame.

Wasn't there a nicer way you could have put that?
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm hardly eagle-eyed.

I know a good lego geneticist, if you'd like to be. Smile Seriously, I was remarking on my own lack of observance more than suggesting excessiveness on your part.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Le Chevalier D'Eon has a few, but the most notable being spoiler[Teillagory]. The way the last few episodes played out was unexpected, convoluted, and sad.

I usually skip the OP. At most, I'll only sit through it for the 1st episode (if I really like it), but the majority of the time I just skip it, same with the ending stuff (which, if I'm marathoning something, means I skip the "next episode" stuff, too).

So, I wasn't spoilt as to that particular betrayal. I didn't even know that the OP for D'Eon had that in there.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Optitron wrote:

It's nothing personal. I just don't like stuff that's so gory. It could be the most well written piece of fiction in the world, but when I start seeing that many severed limbs and fountains of blood in a book I lose all desire to read it. I prefer works that choose to convey their meaning primarily through dialogue rather than extreme violence. Its the same reason I don't bother with the bulk of summer blockbusters and action flicks. So while it may be true that I'm missing out on an amazing work of art, I know there are other works I can go to instead that satisfy my need for great stories without having to see one character decapitate another or something similarly grotesque.

Edit: By the way, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt that Filia deserved some love in this week's poll.

I can understand not liking the gore. I'm not really a "fan" of it, either, but it has a place in Berserk at some key points. Berserk also has an amazing story that does not rely on that gore. The characters are exceptional. It's a horror story so it's going to have gore. That's not really the way I weigh Berserk, though. It's because of the context of the story and how well it is told. In other words, in most cases with the gore in Berserk, it wouldn't need it to still be fantastic.

And anyway, I actually don't even think Berserk is that bad concerning blood and such. But maybe I'm desensizited (yeah, I am). Razz

Love Filia. Try is my favorite season of Slayers. In the minority, I know. I don't much care for Next's throwaway villains and flatness halfway through like most people. Heh. The only thing Try is missing is Sylphiel, of whom I am a big fan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, I wasn't spoilt as to that particular betrayal. I didn't even know that the OP for D'Eon had that in there.

Even though you didn't know and it was unexpected for you, the fact that the creators put a spoiler so prominently in the OP means that they weren't intending for the betrayal to be a surprise to us. Audiences were expected to know who the man's true allegiance was to, even if the characters didn't until the betrayal actually happened. Now, I don't appreciate the creators for doing this and spoiling what could have been an awesome twist. But, you can't argue that there wasn't a reason why the spoiler was put in the OP. We were expected to have known about it, and it wasn't supposed to be a shock. I'm only speculating here, but perhaps you wouldn't have found it so convoluted if you had known about the spoiler in advance, and were waiting for it and closely watching the man's behaviour.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9