• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Excused Absences

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Gatotsu: I think you're being contrarian and skeptical just for the sake of it here.

Sarkeesian merely made a kickstarter, white males saw their privilege being threatened and went psycho, people supported Sarkeesian. That's it. Most people aren't defending her in a white knight "she opposes the misogynists, she's automatically good!" way, they're doing it because they support her and because internet nutjobs where making games where you beat her up solely because she threatened their white male privilege.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
Harping on douchebag Internet misogynists is so easy and obvious it shouldn't even be necessary

You realize this is the attitude that leads to people just "accepting" that every single comments section is chock-a-block with hideous racism and misogyny, right? That's the way it is, after all! If you're surprised by it you're a naive idiot, if you try and do anything about it you're a fool who can't stop the way things are. Just shut up and accept it because hey son, this is the internet.

At what point do people who rightfully hate that sh*t actually try and do something about it rather than just accepting it as the status quo? The internet is so full of the worst parts of the human id it's ridiculous, and yet if you're not cool with that and not just passively accepting of the godawful crap that people vomit somehow you're the unbelievable moron.

I mean, what are you going to do about it, other than not tolerate it in the spheres within which you have some direct power and influence? Just go around telling people what to do? Entreat every ignorant douchebag you see to change their ways? (These people are, generally speaking, not people who listen to people.) On a forum like this one you can call for better moderation, but that can't really be extended to, say, Twitter or Youtube. I guess this is crossing over into something more like moral philosophy, but my personal belief with these kinds of things is that the only real valid response is to lead by example: show people that you are above this, and if they are smart they'll see that your way is stronger and better, or at the very least you'll attract other people who believe your way is right and allow the formation of your own community. But people need to be able to choose; you can't just shove the choice down their throat, even if you're sure it's the right one.

Speaking personally, the way I deal with the vileness of most internet comments sections - which, yes, I do more or less accept as "the way things are", because that is the way people are and the way the Internet is - is to either avoid them, and seek out better communities wherever they may lurk; or to engage in one-on-one interaction with the people spewing the garbage, and try to figure out why they think the way they do (usually a fruitless exercise). I guess I'm just not into trying to control people's thoughts or behavior in any way, even if it is ugly. The only answer is to be better than them.

Or, you can dive headlong into the void, and just go to 4chan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
All I know is this lady - intentionally or not - started a massive internet drama and walked away being defiantly hailed as a saint by half the video game blogosphere and with a whole bunch of money in her pocket. So naturally, yes, I'm skeptical.

If you admit it was unintentional (which you must if you know the facts) then what possible reason do you have to be skeptical?

Quote:
I actually agree completely with the first three paragraphs here, except that as someone having come onboard this massive flame war on the ass-end of it I can honestly say that the money thing is what made me suspicious - well, that and the fact that people were swarming to defend Sarkeesian as some kind of messianic figure above any sort of criticism. I first heard about it as "that lady who got $160,000 to make a Youtube video", and that's been the lasting impression. I can't speak to what anyone else thinks about all this and why, though!

Ya know, I don't think that's unreasonable. It's fine to be initially skeptical when you hear something sensational like "lady gets $160,000 to make a Youtube video". But it's pretty tough to take you at your word when, even when it is explained to you how grossly, wildly incorrect that is, you still keep finding reasons to criticize. At that point, it comes off as nothing but a convenient target for someone with ulterior motives.

gatotsu911 wrote:
I guess this is crossing over into something more like moral philosophy, but my personal belief with these kinds of things is that the only real valid response is to lead by example: show people that you are above this, and if they are smart they'll see that your way is stronger and better. But they need to be able to choose; you can't just shove the choice down their throat, even if you're sure it's the right one.

Hell yeah I can. Or at least, we can. Granted, there are some people on the internet that will always spray their crap simply because they don't care. They're anonymous, hit and run style trolls. There's not much you can do there. But that's actually a very small minority. Most people, even on the internet, care a lot more about what other people think than they pretend. As such, public condemnation is a powerful force for change even on the internet. If people speak up against this kind of thing and send the message that the kind of casual misogyny that pervades gaming culture isn't okay, people will respond. I don't give two shits if these people actually change their opinion but they will absolutely keep it to themselves in the face of overwhelming condemnation and ostracization from their peers.

Quote:
I guess I'm just not into trying to control people's thoughts or behavior in any way, even if it is ugly. The only answer is to be better than them.

Yeah well, that's a pretty easy attitude to take when you aren't one of the people having that bile thrown at them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Ha! When I saw that video last week, I just knew you'd be talking about it! Particularly when you get to this part! Laughing

Incidentally, a cool geek dad just did this to his daughter:
"Why I Hacked Donkey Kong for My Daughter" Cool

• My three year old daughter and I play a lot of old games together. Her favorite is Donkey Kong. Two days ago, she asked me if she could play as the girl and save Mario. She's played as Princess Toadstool in Super Mario Bros. 2 and naturally just assumed she could do the same in Donkey Kong. I told her we couldn't in that particular Mario game, she seemed really bummed out by that. So what else am I supposed to do? Now I'm up at midnight hacking the ROM, replacing Mario with Pauline. I'm using the 2010 NES Donkey Kong ROM. I've redrawn Mario's frames and I swapped the palettes in the ROM. I replaced the M at the top with a P for Pauline.

And just for laughs for last week, someone actually did an experiment for us mankind:
"We Compare Senran Kagura’s Virtual Breasts with Real Ones… You Know, for Science and Stuff"

Among the results.............

• Vertical Jiggle Test: Success!

• Yaw Angle: Unrealistic!

• Conclusion: they pretty much moved with the same fluidity and resistance as real breasts, but real boobs don’t quite move as laterally as they do in the game.

dtm42 wrote:

All this talk about strong women characters has reminded me to go out and buy the new Tomb Raider. I hear it is much better than previous games of the franchise at not objectifying Lara. I also hear it is a good game in its own right.

This has been the greatest review I've seen of the new Lara Croft so far: Laughing

"Clueless Gamer: Conan O’Brien reviews Tomb Raider"

Bros before hos, yo!

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 am; edited 4 times in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Primus wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if 76sixty axed Phantom Breaker's release due to Microsoft's minimum print runs. Companies are required to print at least 40,000 copies on the 360. If the publisher looked at pre-orders and felt they wouldn't make those numbers, they may have just backed out.

If that's true, then that would be the exact reason why. Even recent Atelier games haven't sold over 20k, so there's no way a super niche 2d fighter would do twice what Atelier sells.

Well, at least the company is still waiting to determine the fate of the game anyways, its not cancelled by any means (yet), the game has been completed/translated/printed since last year, all its either laziness or lots of red tape on 7-S's end. Hopefully (probably not doubting) PB:BG may help in the NA retail fighter being released whenever possible.

And yes, this entire thread is already a tl;dr about feminism, seriously guys, not feeling it putting 2 cents about other titles in this weeks article, its a good one though.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
In all honesty I hope for a game industry crash then we can start over. Yes I'm horrible person for wanting millions of people out of jobs but that's where the console market is headed.

Talk about killing a fly with a tactical nuke. At worst I just see American games going through a bit of Comics Code Authority period.

diet panda wrote:
Maybe if that Kickstarter money was used to help fund an alternative gaming company that produced games by women and girls, for women and girls, I'd feel a little less cynical.

That's a huge double edged sword. Rather than a supposed "boys only club" we get a definite positive "girls only club". The problem with this line of thinking is it implies there is a huge demographic of women creators that are being oppressed somewhere and denied entry into the games industry, rather than perhaps the reason their numbers are low is not malicious Patriarchal oppression but a lack of interest and talent for the genre from females overall. If the programming school I went to was any indication, not a lot of women seem interested in it (97.8% male class, what fun)

It's not a sound solution when making a video game, regardless of what it is, to turn away the talented men in favor of mediocre or largely untalented women out of some odd form of affirmative action. That would just lead to further dilution of the medium we all enjoy, because now it's not "who's the best we can get for this project" but "who's the best we can get for this project who we'll hire" and the end product is going to be awful.

Not to mention it falls into the fallacy of "only women can write for women" And on a forum dedicated to anime and manga where we have tons of male and female mangaka and creators, I shouldn't have to explain why that line of thinking is flawed.

Barbobot wrote:
He's a person who apparently has experience with internet video production. Regardless of what his videos are generally of, he probably has some grasp of what this type of thing costs and I don't really see a reason to doubt his response.

And as someone who also has experience with it, I can assure you it's still an off number. The only reason I can see her asking for that much is if she didn't have a capture card or a video game system or games (a capture card I could understand, and those are only a few hundred... but I'd rather not think why someone who doesn't already play video games or know much about them to begin with would decide to make a video series based on them. That just raises unfortunate implications. Oh and some TB hard drives I guess. Really it's not that much even if you start from scratch) Of course, this is just the original 6000 goal. There's still that 150,000 other dollars to account for. The only way to know for sure is if she actually explains and cites what she used it for or why she asked for it, but given her refusal to even acknowledge any criticism at all, I do not think she will be doing that.
ikillchicken wrote:
No...that was just what all the misogynistic douchebags tried to pretend it was about after the fact to justify their outrage.

Or you could stop straw-manning radical hate misogynists and speak about the issue itself. Just a thought. Not everyone who disagrees with her is a "misogynistic douchebag" and can be herded into one category.

Last edited by TitanXL on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Truth be told, I stopped caring about Anita Sarkeesian or her video a while back; at this point I'm mostly just keeping the debate going because it's interesting and challenging. And I'm glad I have, because now we're touching on something a lot deeper and more relevant.

ikillchicken wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
I guess this is crossing over into something more like moral philosophy, but my personal belief with these kinds of things is that the only real valid response is to lead by example: show people that you are above this, and if they are smart they'll see that your way is stronger and better. But they need to be able to choose; you can't just shove the choice down their throat, even if you're sure it's the right one.

Hell yeah I can. Or at least, we can. Granted, there are some people on the internet that will always spray their crap simply because they don't care. They're anonymous, hit and run style trolls. There's not much you can do there. But that's actually a very small minority. Most people, even on the internet, care a lot more about what other people think than they pretend. As such, public condemnation is a powerful force for change even on the internet. If people speak up against this kind of thing and send the message that the kind of casual misogyny that pervades gaming culture isn't okay, people will respond. I don't give two shits if these people actually change their opinion but they will absolutely keep it to themselves in the face of overwhelming condemnation and ostracization from their peers.

I'm wary of these kinds of group-shaming methods because whatever their intentions, in practice they often lead to a kind of unquestionable orthodoxy of groupthink - the dreaded "political correctness". While it may have the effect the majority of the time of nipping truly nasty speech in the bud, it also inevitably leads to instances of legitimate thought being shut down solely because it conflicts with the group orthodoxy, or miscommunications that arise due to the interpretive nature of language (e.g. something shocking and ugly that blurs the line between relevant satire/transgressive art and simple nastiness). That's not really a collateral damage I'm okay with.

(It's an extreme analogy, but think about the workings of a police state, like for example the society in Minority Report: On the one hand, at least in theory, the police are so powerful that you barely have any crime - which is good! The people, as a whole, are safe! But on the other hand, the state is still only human, and if it determines - from your point of view, erroneously - that your interests conflict with its own, you're completely screwed. Is that a risk you're willing to take?)

Furthermore, forcing or pressuring people into not expressing what they really think doesn't actually get rid of the problem; it only displaces it some place else. Why do you think the ugliest strains of thought in our society manifest themselves on the Internet to begin with? Because it's socially unacceptable for people to express these ideas to begin with, so rather than being earnestly addressed they're left to fester into something truly rotten.

Again, you can moderate private communities where you have some control, set rules for what constitutes acceptable conduct and simply ban anyone who cannot follow these rules; but in trying to go out and strong-arm people who are operating within their own spheres into talking and acting the way you want (even if that way is by all accounts morally superior) you are essentially trying to rob them of moral agency. People have to choose to be good, not because they fear social repercussions, but because they believe it to be right. You can't force that on people; you can only show them the benefits of "good" actions, and hope that they speak for themselves. Otherwise it's not really goodness; it's just cowardice. And in my opinion, that cheapens real goodness.

(Sorry if I'm getting less and less coherent here; it's late, and as I get more tired my mind is turning more and more to goo.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Or you could stop straw-manning radical hate misogynists and speak about the issue itself. Just a thought. Not everyone who disagrees with her is a "misogynistic douchebag" and can be herded into one category.

The "issue" is bullshit. There is absolutely, unequivocally, nothing to the criticisms people have raised. She didn't ask for all that money. Criticizing her because other people (not her) decided to give it to her...Is. [expletive]. Idiotic. Full stop. This has been explained multiple times in this very thread by both me and others and explained a million times elsewhere on the internet.

Not only that, the hatred and outrage is comically disproportionate. Even if, through some amazing mental gymnastics, you conclude that she doesn't need the money she did ask for, the rage over this speaks to clear ulterior motives. Nobody would give to shits about this if she wasn't producing a video critiquing gender tropes. If she had done the exact same thing, ask for $6000 to create a video, that was about something that didn't cause these people to immediately get their backs up against the wall...we wouldn't even be talking right now. Nobody would even have hear of her, or this project, because nobody would give a crap. At worst, the couple people who actually even hear about would have shrugged and gone about their day. Because it just ain't that big of a deal.

So no Titan. To pretend this is, was, or ever will be about anything but hateful misogynists or at least, males who feel their superiority is being threatened, finding a convenient issue to attack her over is simply wrong. You can continue to flounder about, pretend it's not and otherwise do your usual song and dance, but there is no validity to your claims. I'm not gonna say it is impossible that there was some tiny outlying group of people who genuinely (stupidly) took issue with her asking for money. There are exceptions to everything. But if so, this was a tiny, insignificant minority. Overwhelmingly, the motives behind this "issue" were exactly what I have said.

gatotsu911 wrote:
While it may have the effect the majority of the time of nipping truly nasty speech in the bud, it also inevitably leads to instances of legitimate thought being shut down solely because it conflicts with the group orthodoxy, or miscommunications that arise due to the interpretive nature of language (e.g. something shocking and ugly that blurs the line between relevant satire/transgressive art and simple nastiness). That's not really a collateral damage I'm okay with.

So you're okay with doing nothing about the blatant, rampant, harmful misogyny that pervades gaming culture...because you're not okay with the fact that it might lead to a few instances where a legitimate thought is wrongfully interpreted as such? See, again, this is where its tough not to question your motives when this is where your priorities lie.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
While it may have the effect the majority of the time of nipping truly nasty speech in the bud, it also inevitably leads to instances of legitimate thought being shut down solely because it conflicts with the group orthodoxy, or miscommunications that arise due to the interpretive nature of language (e.g. something shocking and ugly that blurs the line between relevant satire/transgressive art and simple nastiness). That's not really a collateral damage I'm okay with.

So you're okay with doing nothing about the blatant, rampant, harmful misogyny that pervades gaming culture...because you're not okay with the fact that it might lead to a few instances where a legitimate thought is wrongfully interpreted as such? See, again, this is where its tough not to question your motives when this is where your priorities lie.

What do you mean "doing nothing"? What, specifically, would you define as "doing something"? I certainly disapprove of this misogyny... so what, exactly? I should be throwing money at Anita Sarkeesian? I should be saying "yea" or "nay" to something because self-proclaimed feminists tell me so? I'm not going to get up into people's faces and tell them how to think and behave, nor am I going to search out excuses to be offended by thing other people have said or done and grandstand over them; that doesn't mean I don't disapprove of their behavior. Rather, I am behaving differently, and that naturally draws me towards other people who do the same. Again: lead by example, and people who care will follow. You can't eliminate the reality of people being crappy to one another, but you can create places where that isn't (as much) the case.
diet panda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I don't think this is a good idea--all it does is force girl gamers into a ghetto (because that's what this idea is) instead of working to stamp put anti-female attitudes in the gaming community.

What exactly will be accomplished by ghettoing girl gamers?

That's a worse-case scenario, I'll give you that. But it doesn't have to be a ghetto, no more than Ikebukuro's Otome Road is, or the shoujo/josei manga industry for that matter. It's about providing female-centered alternatives to mainstream gaming, especially since it has shown time and time again that it has no intention of improving its attitudes or changing its ways.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Nobody would give to shits about this if she wasn't producing a video critiquing gender tropes. If she had done the exact same thing, ask for $6000 to create a video, that was about something that didn't cause these people to immediately get their backs up against the wall...we wouldn't even be talking right now. Nobody would even have hear of her, or this project, because nobody would give a crap.

You're right, we wouldn't be talking about it right now. We would be laughing at her and that's that (I know I would, anyway, if some other Internet celebrity I don't care about like the Nostalgia Critic or who-the-fudge-ever asked for $6000 to make a video, especially if they got more than 20 times that amount thanks to the power of controversy).

The reason we are talking about it right now, though, is because it's plastered all over the blogosphere and everyone is required to take a (dramatic, completely polarized) side. It doesn't matter why people started talking about it; at this point, people are talking about it because other people are talking about it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
What do you mean "doing nothing"? What, specifically, would you define as "doing something"? I certainly disapprove of this misogyny... so what, exactly? I should be throwing money at Anita Sarkeesian? I should be saying "yea" or "nay" to something because self-proclaimed feminists tell me so?

Well for starters you could try not immediately dashing onto the field to try and throw water on the discussion. Agreeing with or disagreeing with a particular person or a particular line of thinking is not the issue. It's fine to disagree with Sarkeesian. I disagree with a lot of what she said. What you have done however is come in here and basically suggest that we shouldn't even be talking about this. You have barely even attempted to take a position on gender issues in gaming. Instead, first you raise a big stink over the money issue. Then you claim that we can't do anything about misogynist behaviour so we should just accept it. Instead...maybe try actually joining in the discussion? Contribute to the debate in a meaningful way about what needs to change. And whatever your position, speak up about misogyny when you see it. Make it known that it isn't okay.

Quote:
I'm not going to get up into people's faces and tell them how to think and behave

Really? Because if how they "think and behave" is grossly misogynist...you [expletive] should! Just silently disapproving counts for precisely nothing if you don't actually say anything.

Quote:
nor am I going to search out excuses to be offended by thing other people have said or done and grandstand over them;

Obvious straw man. There's obviously a difference between finding illegitimate excuses to grandstand and speaking out against real, legitimate cases of misogyny which are quite plentiful.

Quote:
You can't eliminate the reality of people being crappy to one another

I already explained how, by speaking out against this kind of thing, we can do exactly that (or at least reduce it). Your only response to that was to suggest it had some minor negative consequences. Unless you have an argument against the actually effectiveness of what I have suggested, hiding behind "there's nothing we can do" is just an excuse.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
He's clearly a troll. You should engage someone actually serious about this discussion.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
What do you mean "doing nothing"? What, specifically, would you define as "doing something"? I certainly disapprove of this misogyny... so what, exactly? I should be throwing money at Anita Sarkeesian? I should be saying "yea" or "nay" to something because self-proclaimed feminists tell me so?

Well for starters you could try not immediately dashing onto the field to try and throw water on the discussion. Agreeing with or disagreeing with a particular person or a particular line of thinking is not the issue. It's fine to disagree with Sarkeesian. I disagree with a lot of what she said. What you have done however is come in here and basically suggest that we shouldn't even be talking about this. You have barely even attempted to take a position on gender issues in gaming.

Yeah, because that's not what I've been trying to discuss. If you want to talk about gender issues in gaming, let's go ahead and talk about gender issues in gaming. Up until now that has not been the topic I've been trying to address (except in a couple of posts), and yet you've been twisting everything I say to make it about that.

And as for the accusation that I'm suggesting you "shouldn't even be talking about this":
gatotsu911 wrote:
I'm not saying I have any sort of problem with people having critical/analytical discussions of the portrayal of women (or whatever other marginalized group) in video games.
Was this somehow not clear enough?

ikillchicken wrote:
Instead, first you raise a big stink over the money issue. Then you claim that we can't do anything about misogynist behaviour so we should just accept it. Instead...maybe try actually joining in the discussion? Speak up about misogyny when you see it. Make it know that that isn't okay.

What, you want me to go on to every shitty comments section on the Internet and tell everyone, "Hey, you guys are being totally misogynistic!!"? What's the [expletive] point? If someone right in front of me is being a misogynistic asshole, I'll tell them that they're being [expletive] stupid, because they are. If I think a game is misogynistic and gross, I won't buy it and I'll tell my friends not to buy it too. (See: God of War.) Just because I'm not out picketing somewhere or taking part in organized group shaming tactics (which is what I was speaking out against above) doesn't mean I don't care.

ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
I'm not going to get up into people's faces and tell them how to think and behave

Really? Because if how they "think and behave" is grossly misogynist...you [expletive] should! Just silently disapproving counts for precisely nothing if you don't actually say anything.

Well, are they actually hurting or harassing anybody, or just being anonymous dicks on the internet?? Because there's kind of a big difference. Do tell me what repeatedly expressing my indignation against anonymous Internet commenters accomplishes apart from being a purely symbolic gesture that lets me feed on my own rage? People are allowed to be wrong, and they're allowed to be stupid; both of those are quite different from actually hurting other people.

I mean, just to be clear: you're not just saying, "Don't permit this type of behavior in communities you're a part of," but also, "Go out to other communities and tell them how to behave also"? Because I agree with the first part, not so much the second.

ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
You can't eliminate the reality of people being crappy to one another

I already explained how, by speaking out against this kind of thing, we can do exactly that (or at least reduce it). Your only response to that was to suggest it had some minor negative consequences. Unless you have an argument against the actually effectiveness of what I have suggested, hiding behind "there's nothing we can do" is just an excuse.

Um, no, my response was to point out a serious problem with any attempt to exert organized control over people in mass numbers. I'm not saying stand by silently when someone is behaving horribly right in front of you, but searching out anonymous and/or public cases of misbehavior just to invoke outrage can only go so far before it becomes an exercise in self-righteous masturbation.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
With all due respect to todd this Anita Sarkeesian is a joke. My friend pointed her out to me, who by the way is one of those sensitive gets along with every one types, and even he admitted that based on half the things she says she has never actually played many if not all of the games she criticizes. I even went to look at her blog for the hell of it, and he he was right. She was making comments about games that were completely assine and hold no ground if you play the games in question.

And also quite frankly you dismissing counter points like men being sexualized as well is roughly on par with the chauvinistic comments. there are some merits to these comments but because either a. they dont agree with your opinion or b. I suspect you are dying on the credibility department as a d grade token 'journalist' writing a weekly blurb on ANN, so you say the fluffy none thought out non argumentative neutered response. Do you think as a credible scientist you can just dismiss a hypothesis despite how outlandish it is, by just saying oh and this hypothesis is bonk moving on.

At the end of the day, dont play the games and move on. I imagine at some point people will end up like in the matrix because doing any sort of action will be deemed offensive to one person or another so we will merely live as people in a pod letting machines do everything for us to ensure no one is offended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8