• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Novels that would make great anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:31 am Reply with quote
OT: Yes, finally! Book 5 is due out in November, I believe. Google for it and the release dates are on the net somewhere.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Enders Game would make a great anime. It has all the elements of many of the classic shows and it has a really large fanbase already. I'm almost surprised that they haven't made one already.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not supprised that it hasn't been made into an anime - most animes based on books are based on books published in Japan (Perfect Blue for example). However, I am suppirsed that it has not been adapted into a movie.
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how current any of this is now, but there was some news about an Ender's Game movie at one point.

http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Huh, hopefully it didn't fall through. It would be nice to see Ender's game on the big screen. I'm guessing the stuff they were refering to leaving out is all of the controveral stuff that made the books good though.
Rygar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:27 pm Reply with quote
A book I read called Tangerene. Anyone think The Outsiders woud make an ok anime?
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I am aware about the Enders Game movie in fact my friend says that Orson Scott Card is directing it. As for other novels I am with a large number of people who would like to see the Hitch Hikers Trilogy made into an anime if for no other to see how the Japanese would present the Geek's Bible, as my friends call it. Also I consider that term a compliment and not an insult.
Rygar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:38 am Reply with quote
Does anyone think The Outsiders would make a good anime?
Slider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:21 am Reply with quote
A Robert Jordan series called "The Wheel of Time" would make an excellent anime.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:59 am Reply with quote
Here's another one:
Other's See Us, by William Sleator

Even though any of his book could problay be made into a good anime, Other's See Us has a very anime-ish story line.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:27 am Reply with quote
Well, C.S. Lewis's works deserve film of the caliber of the Lord of th Rings trilogy. After all, Lewis and Tolkien were friends, contemporaries, equals, and rivals. Animated or not, the Narnia chronicles need worthy films with all of the religious allegory and philosophical meandering intact.

Possibly Frank Dixon's series of Hardy Boys novellas, too. Each one taken case for case would be pretty neat. (I own about thirty of them, including the rare #62, "The Secret of the Samurai Sword")

Also, personally, I'd love to see a few OAV's made of Alistar Maclean's more famous short stories out of the collective work "The Lonely Sea". The ones that must be done are "The Dileas", "St. George and the Dragon", "Rendezvous", and "Machinery and the Cauliflowers".

If just to hear Machinery say to Ah Wong "The needle punctures? Sharpened knitting needle and aniline dye. I wouldn't advise it either, it's most damnably painful." Brilliance.
avius viator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Well, C.S. Lewis's works deserve film of the caliber of the Lord of th Rings trilogy. After all, Lewis and Tolkien were friends, contemporaries, equals, and rivals. Animated or not, the Narnia chronicles need worthy films with all of the religious allegory and philosophical meandering intact.

Good call. C.S. Lewis's books were excellent, and the Chronicles of Narnia would probably translate well into anime. They'd do pretty well as live action films too. Although (not to be pedantic) I'm not sure they "need" to be translated to film. A lot changes when you translate to a new medium.... particularly books to film. The resulting film may be good, but for entirely different reasons. There is so much more freedom with print... the limitations of film can change the scope of the story a great deal.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what I was getting at there. Wandering thoughts....

Incidently, that reminds me of another novel that I recall reading when I was younger... A Wrinkle in Time by Madeliene L'Engle. It may make a decent anime. And The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery may make a cool animated movie... I can almost picture that as a Miyazaki film.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:30 pm Reply with quote
avius viator wrote:
There is so much more freedom with print... the limitations of film can change the scope of the story a great deal.

Yeah. For example... How would they animate the 2D parallel dimension that the magical pan-universal chick takes them to in the first or second book? And doesn't she take them to a 4 or 5 -D world right after that? (Because the human character couldn't breathe in 2D or something?)

Heh. Yeah, it's been a while. Laughing

I imagine they could do something like they did in the Simpsons, where Homer became three-dimensional, but that would be too cheesy for this sort of application.

Dontcha think? Razz
avius viator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

Yeah. For example... How would they animate the 2D parallel dimension that the magical pan-universal chick takes them to in the first or second book? And doesn't she take them to a 4 or 5 -D world right after that? (Because the human character couldn't breathe in 2D or something?)
Heh. Yeah, it's been a while. Laughing

Yeah, its been a while since I read it too, but I kind of remember what you are talking about (in reference to Wrinkle in Time). I mainly remembered that is was about kids, had a good sci-fi component, and nice character development. But, thats a good example... Thanks for helping make the point I was not-so-eloquently trying to make. I don't know how that would translate into film. I guess that incident, and ones like it, would have to be reworked or eliminated. Once all those little changes and rewrites are added up, the end product may be a very different story from what the book presented.
Case wrote:
I imagine they could do something like they did in the Simpsons, where Homer became three-dimensional, but that would be too cheesy for this sort of application

Yeah, the "simpsons" approach would be pretty cheesy. I honestly can't think of a way to do something like that with any dignity.... but I'm not much of an artist. There's always black screen with flashing colors... or the "floating in the void" approach. Smile Anyway, I'll say this much... there are more possiblities with animation then there are with live action.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:24 pm Reply with quote
avius viator wrote:
I guess that incident, and ones like it, would have to be reworked or eliminated.

...Which would be a shame, really. Because that's some of the most inspiring writing I've ever come across. If they did make some kind of film production of that (anime or otherwise) I would hope that they would find SOME way to keep that particular bit in.
Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7