• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected, How to Raise a Boring Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
yoo Aphorism got licenseddd
but digital onlyyy Sad
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
What's most exciting about Oregairu is that it's the first LN Yen's licensed that doesn't have any science fictional of fantastic elements. If they're willing to do slice-of-life romances, that opens up the possibility that we'll get Toradora, OreImo and Haganai as well.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Geez, Yen Press is on a roll!
Nayre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
lol.... people are ranting about how happy they are that oregairu got license. SERIOUSLY?! This is a disaster for some fans like us who've been following the translation group for years, and now, yen press decides to step in. Oregairu is ending soon and we expect the group to fully complete the translation of the series which currently, they are working on volume 11 (latest), but since it got license, the translators had no choice but to stop. I wont be complaining right now, if only yen press were as dedicated as the fan translators are. By the time they could catch up, the series would be long done. Yen press would take forever to finish the series and people will start to forget that such awesome series ever existed.... wew... just wew.... (better practice japanese than wasting my damn time waiting)
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Hoping those digital releases will get print soon. Can't buy digital releases in my country
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
What's that Seven Seas? Light novels don't sell here? What?

What are you guys hoping for next? I'd like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou and My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy.

Also, I'm surprised Highschool DxD hasn't been licensed yet because boobs.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
What's that Seven Seas? Light novels don't sell here? What?

We don't know how they sell. Other publishers have access to the sales figures and can have a much better idea of how LNs are actually selling. Yen Press continuing to licence LNs and being the only publisher to really do so doesn't necessarily mean it has been a complete success.

I believe one of the publishers said certain titles do sell well (such as SAO) whereas other titles do not sell well (such as A Certain Magical Index). Like manga, LNs are a mixed bag but the much higher translation costs make an unpopular LN a much bigger burden on a company than an unpopular manga.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Incredibly exciting news for me. I absolutely adore Yahari and I've always wanted to get the full story of Baccano as well, so I wouldn't even hesitate to buy and read the hell out of these when they're available in a familiar language.

Still, no such good license news in my area as of yet, but if this doesn't prompt them to get both over here I'll just import when the time comes.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
What are you guys hoping for next? I'd like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou and My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy.

Toradora, Moretsu Pirates, KamiMemo and Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Will these LNs get digital releases? Mainly concerned about Baccano! here. Razz

I'd love to support Yen Press's LN endeavours, but only a select few titles from them are available digitally right now.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy

This is what i was hoping for when i opened the page, read the first few chapters on Baka and was really enjoying it. Fingers crossed for next time.
Ser3n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
Totally gonna buy the following LNs:
Wataru Watari's My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected
Ryohgo Narita's Baccano!
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
Woah, a lot going on here! So happy to see the SNAFU novels licensed. Didn't think it'd ever happen, but extremely happy to see it has! Think that this is the best piece of news from the weekend.

Definitely in for the SNAFU novels, the manga is a maybe. Same with the SaeKano manga, maybe.

If My Monster Girl's Too Cool for You sees print, I'll buy that one. Sounds fun. Same goes for Today’s Kerberos. I'd be interested in Corpse Princess and Crimson Prince if they were in print. But, at least my wallet doesn't have to think about those 2.

Being a massive fan of the Baccano! anime, I'm not sure if I want to read the novels. Main reason is...to me, the end of the anime is great. I don't feel like I need any more...

So, yeah, as things stand...YenPress are definitely getting some of my money, thanks to the SNAFU novels!!!

Nier wrote:
Kandachime.

Never heard of this. Looked it up on MAL, liked the synopsis...and then saw in the discussion thread that the series was axed with no real ending. That's sad.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
But I was really hoping they would get the Chaika novels to go along with the manga.

That'd be nice. Maybe it'll happen...one day. Laughing

Especially since, from what I can gather, the manga doesn't adapt the whole novel series.

Nayre wrote:
lol.... people are ranting about how happy they are that oregairu got license. SERIOUSLY?!

Yes, because the only other way to read it is illegal...though, not surprised people are complaining about their illegal source for reading this may be cut.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.

That one might not be well known enough for someone to take a shot at. I'd buy it, as the series sounds interesting. And, I think the last volume came out recently.

As someone mentioned, Index (which has a following) doesn't seem to have done too well. What chances would Maria have? I mean, the only way to read the actual novels is via fan translations...or, if you're like me, reading discussion threads on MAL. Laughing

And, I doubt that those who are reading the fan translations would end up buying the novels. Well, at least not in considerable numbers. So, outside of those that look through the recommendations on MAL (which is how I found out about the series) and serial fan translation readers, who else would know of it...and how?

I honestly don't know if many LNs that have been licensed, recently, that wouldn't already have a built in fan base in some form. Well, the only one that I can think of is Shield Hero, which is a series I'm thinking about buying.

Of course, if Shield Hero does well for One Peace Books, they may go in for another lesser known LN series...and please let that be Maria. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Still sucks for the light novels, great that people are getting the books they want but you'll be waiting years before they even catch up. One of the main reasons I was so let down with Mahouka which will take at least 5 years before they will catch up with only what 3 books a year.

Yeah, that does stink for people who were following the ongoing series online. I'm not in that boat because (1) I hate reading books on a computer, my eyes tire out, so I've never gotten very far in Baccano!, and (2) Baccano! is mostly stand-alone stories or short arcs, so delays are going to be less aggravating. Still, here's crossing our fingers they get translated at a good pace!

(Now, if only some company could figure out a manageable way to release the rest of the Guin Saga, i.e. one where a publisher can afford to release 100+ volumes and we can afford to buy them...)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
To the person that mentioned about DxD: Yen Press has the DAnime hyper manga but it's possible that they will get the light novels someday.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5