• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Here's my thoughts on this release and overall thoughts of this title:

1. I'm ecstatic to say that I'm happy Right Stuf has released 1 of the 3 best Gundams on Blu ray (it's enough to have Turn A at all and I'm sure it'll be a matter of time before 8th MS Team will come out).

2. I'm okay with the English dub, it feels like it was performed with a 70s camp approach (especially Bright's voice).

3. I do like the movies better but the choreography in some of these fights are still impressive.

4. Hate the fact they're released so close to the Holidays which lower the chance of them being discounted...
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, rightstuf is re-releasing the films too. Maybe I'll pick them up and watch them for once! If it's a less dragged out version of the show, count me in.

I totally agree with the review on the problems this show has. Watching through it, especially the episodes prior to Ramba Ral's introduction, can be hell. Too much random stuff, not enough plot. Later, Sunrise made Code Geass, and in contrast, this show had almost nothing but plot progression. My, how times have changed.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's is different is the tone of the story. The central concept of Newtype isn't even developed in the tv series until the very last couple of episodes (and it pops out of nowhere with no justification whatsoever) whereas it is the central concept from the start in the movie trilogy.

Nonsense. I watched both the movie trilogy and the TV series and didn't notice any considerable difference in tone between the two versions as the same major events occur in both. The only difference between the two is that the movie trilogy has a faster pace from having to compress 43 episodes' worth of story into three feature films.

Also, the central concept of the series isn't newtypes, but Amuro's coming of age, and even though the word "newtype" isn't spoken until the last couple of episodes, it is clearly built up during the "Adventures in Space" arc. If the show was allowed to run its original course of 52 episodes, maybe the concept of newtypes would have been better developed.

Quote:
The tv series is just your super robot 70s era standard fare. You cannot destory the Gundam and it has it's very super robot-esque gattai component. That is definitely absent from the movie trilogy and it's intended to be that way.

As someone who isn't very familiar with the "super robot" genre, I can't say for certain whether or not Gundam is standard fare, but it makes sense that it would have some super robot elements since Gundam was the first anime of its kind. I don't understand your rationale behind why the Gundam is only an indestructible super robot in the TV series, because in both the movie and TV versions the Gundam is only destroyed at the end. As for the "gattai" component, that was insisted upon by the toy company that originally sponsored the show:

http://toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/clover/
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
In all honesty, Tomino's done a whole lot goddamn worse than episode 15 in his career. He has ENTIRE SERIES he should feel more embarrassed over. How about blocking people from seeing Brain Powerd?

It sure is lonely being a fan of Brain Powerd...

Anyway, I'm glad to own the show on BD. I missed my chance when the Anime Legends sets came out a ways back, and I'm not gonna let that slip by again. I've only ever seen the summary movies, so I'm interested to see if I'll like the TV series more or less than those. Yas' manga can wait.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Anyway, I'm glad to own the show on BD. I missed my chance when the Anime Legends sets came out a ways back, and I'm not gonna let that slip by again. I've only ever seen the summary movies, so I'm interested to see if I'll like the TV series more or less than those. Yas' manga can wait.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is a fantastic manga, and I'd personally argue the best way to enjoy the original series. That said, I've been enjoying my viewing of the Blu Ray for the classic anime.

It looks pretty good for the time it was released, and has been fairly enjoyable.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I've only glimpsed around with this series, but it looks awesome to me. Love the opening and ending. I know how Amuro got slapped and such...by the way the animation sounds, I'd say it's more with charm for exaggerated proportions.

The only problem I'd say is I did find some things I considered sexist to women...(and there is an older review talking about how they think women were portrayed in there) but then again, times were different.

I actually did my own parody of the opening right here. It's with a cheap drag and drop animation program, but still, I just felt like sharing it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThU7DAg3uqM
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is a fantastic manga, and I'd personally argue the best way to enjoy the original series.

I'm just somewhat hesitant to read it out of spite for the folks I've seen rag on Tomino, saying that he's never made anything good and that Yas is the only reason why Gundam turned out as great as it did. I actually already own the first three volumes. I actually preordered those out of spite for some dude on 4chan saying that he hoped someone scanned Vertical's editions and that he'd never pay for. Spite makes me do a lot of things.

@Sailor Senda: It's crazy how catchy they are. I wish the AU shows could put out some tunes akin to that with their shows. Tomino at least got close with the ED to G-Reco. Unfortunately, the OP is some generic JPop tune that he was made to attach to the show. That's also why the OP uses stock footage; he didn't feel the need to put any effort into it if he couldn't do what he wanted.

Last edited by GVman on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is a fantastic manga, and I'd personally argue the best way to enjoy the original series. That said, I've been enjoying my viewing of the Blu Ray for the classic anime.

I like Origin but hell no. Experiencing all of the various interpretations is the best way to experience the series because everyone who worked on it has their own version of events.

I like Tomino's Char in the original novels much more than what Yas did with him in Origin. That being said, it does flesh out the smaller details in the pre-OYW timeline, although it doesn't really link up with anything other than itself.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I'm just somewhat hesitant to read it out of spite for the folks I've seen rag on Tomino, saying that he's never made anything good and that Yas is the only reason why Gundam turned out as great as it did. I actually already own the first three volumes. I actually preordered those out of spite for some dude on 4chan saying that he hoped someone scanned Vertical's editions and that he'd never pay for. Spite makes me do a lot of things.

I certainly don't rag on Tomino.

The Origin has the advantage of having all the material known in advance before beginning, so things can be paced and organized better. The trip around the Earth was fixed so the path was far more logical, for instance (it changed the order of things with Jaburo and Odessa). I also like that Amuro found his father's Gundam Schematics on his computer and had looked into it before piloting it, not just reading a manual three seconds before getting in.

The art is just gorgeous. A manga does have the advantage that it's easier to make something consistently great looking with low expense. The water color pages especially are amazing.

The time dedicated to going into the backstory of Char, and the lead up to the One Year War and the first months of it was just a nice addition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4