• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dagashi Kashi Season (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

Well, it was an alright series I suppose. There's some parts that I wish were adapted but whatever, I still got a decent amount of laughs from the humor of the show.

Glad to see Hotaru (although it's obvious) returning though and we still have the dagashi lectures. I really wish You got more spotlights for the final episode but whatever...maybe another day, perhaps in an OVA in the future if it ever gets announced. Rating this as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12:

A few questions and comments.

Just how do you expect to "become popular with the girls" when there are only two in your world and you associate with both of them every day already?

Saya's fantasies are getting the better of her and of me. Not only an epic yuri scene and BSDM as well. Saya is a very dirty-minded girl it seems.

Of course Hotaru is totally innocent of all that no matter how hit seems. Although her "even I wouldn't say that" comment took me by surprise a little. Also her nail polish seems to be oddly incongruously sophisticated. I'll bet the color is related to some Dagashi brand.

Anyone notice that To's fang shifts sides now and then?
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Dagashi Kashi has the same deadpan humor a viewer would see in Polar Bear's Cafe. Though I doubt Sentai or anyone will pick this title up and release it for American consumption I'm going to miss the 3 main characters dearly. Ah, at least Hotaru is promised a PVC release soon (though Saya would be equally captivating imho).
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Dagashi Kashi has the same deadpan humor a viewer would see in Polar Bear's Cafe. Though I doubt Sentai or anyone will pick this title up and release it for American consumption I'm going to miss the 3 main characters dearly. Ah, at least Hotaru is promised a PVC release soon (though Saya would be equally captivating imho).

Isn't it already a given than Funi is going to release it, since they already have it dubbed?

Anyway, such a shame to see the season end. Dagashi was the kind of show I could watch after a long day at work with a drink and just unwind. Hope it gets another season :/ I rate the season VERY GOOD. One of the more consistent series released this season.

Last edited by Treeborn on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Isn't there one more episode? Hard to tell, since I don't expect this to have any conclusive ending really, but this didn't end any differently than any other episode - I guess there was no preview, but otherwise it didn't give off any sign of being a finale.

The coin tool is just more evidence that Hotaru has spent most of her life by herself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Nothing really big happens. But why should it? This is an anime about Japanese candy, and it did that well. I thought for a moment when Hotaru asked to sit in the smoking section that she would pull out FAGS FADS, the previously ill named candy cigarettes. Hmm, although apparently that is an Australian candy. I guess that was part of the fun of this show in learning about a candy from a different region than I am aware of.

Off the bat I will give it a rating of Good (6/10), which I say is because there is a focus in a show like this, and it stuck to it pretty well, even if another series might put more work into it. There is something to like about a series that knows what it is, and it did it pretty well.

God so much candy in this show. Calorie queen, you could feel a little overwhelmed by some of it. I guess some interesting parts that I have noticed since becoming an adult in a limit in the amount of sugar able to eat, so maybe a bit of living through watching.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Something to keep in mind is that most of the candy sold there is not as calorie laden or sugar rich as it appears. They were even selling slices of pickled radish. Also to match the small price paid they were providing very small portions.

I remember similar type candy in candy stores when I was a kid. A lot of it was not really that sweet but we had not been corrupted by readily available chocolate bars yet. Post war prosperity really did a number on such stores. Many kids now wouldn't touch a candy cigarette or a box of "Good & Plenty" these days. Life Savers used to be a big deal for kids but are mostly used these days by adults trying to quit smoking.

I think it is instructive that they placed the show in a rural setting. I suspect many urban Japanese kids are too sophisticated for this little stuff. This show was probably a nostalgia trip for the writer and director.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Life Savers used to be a big deal for kids but are mostly used these days by adults trying to quit smoking.

I liked the musk ones. Oh, those are apparently something in mostly in my own country too, musk sticks themselves are only here and NZ. Man those did used to be kind of a thing when I was younger, and suddenly this is really getting me hungry for some childhood candy (or lollies). And I have really been trying to eat right, even if I recently pigged out on Arnott's shapes... and I guess the packet of Allen's Killer Pythons the other day. Wait, how much candy have I actually been eating? I am blaming this show.

I just went down a list of domestic candy with some interesting internal reactions. Am I actually not too different than I thought of the crazy acting about candy in this show?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Musk lifesavers? Shocked They have got to taste better than they sound, since they sound awful. I gather you are using lollies to refer to candy in general. Here that would be short for lollypop. That would be basically flat flavored rock candy on a paper stick.

Arnott's shapes, flavored crackers, Allen's Killer Pythons, basically gummy snakes. It is amazing the information you can find on the web.

I grew up in a rural area without unsupervised access to a store. As a result any sort of candy was a fairly big deal when I was a kid.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Musk lifesavers? Shocked They have got to taste better than they sound, since they sound awful. I gather you are using lollies to refer to candy in general. Here that would be short for lollypop. That would be basically flat flavored rock candy on a paper stick.

Arnott's shapes, flavored crackers, Allen's Killer Pythons, basically gummy snakes. It is amazing the information you can find on the web.

Musk flavoured lollies (candy) is the best, it is really sweet, but despite how sweet they are they don't make you not want to eat more, in fact it is surprisingly easy to eat an entire packet before you realised that you had enough.

Arnott's Shapes are not merely flavoured crackers, they are a staple of children lunch boxes, often most common are the bbq flavour. But the Chicken ones are almost something else entirely with the addition of the "Crimpies" name, "baked not fried" the chicken flavour is superb, they can be taken as an entire snack when added with cheese if you fold a slice into quarters, but alone they are enough.

And "gummy snake" is just the beginning of different lines of Australian lollies. You have the cheapest stuff mostly only suitable for a child who has no experience, the natural fruit juice kind when you want to full yourself you are eating fruit like, starburst kind when you really want some sugar, and then there are Allen's snakes which are the image of lollies. Snakes come in colours denoting their flavours where you can blindly pick and eat it in a couple bites. But Killer Pythons are made up of multiple sectioned colours/flavours.

I am like surprisingly into candy. And it has sent me into looking at candy reviews like that is an actual thing.
pibburns

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@DuskyPredator
I remember similar type candy in candy stores when I was a kid. A lot of it was not really that sweet but we had not been corrupted by readily available chocolate bars yet. Post war prosperity really did a number on such stores. Many kids now wouldn't touch a candy cigarette or a box of "Good & Plenty" these days. Life Savers used to be a big deal for kids but are mostly used these days by adults trying to quit smoking.

I used to love those little candy dots on a paper strip when I was a kid
back in the 1950s. I haven't seen those in decades.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
As much as I enjoyed this series, I'm a bit disappointed that Kokonotsu's aspirations to be a manga artist weren't of more importance to the show's overall plot. You'd figure if that was his dream, that it would have received a bit more coverage.

DuskyPredator
, these days, at least where I live in the US, candy cigarettes aren't even sold anymore. Pretty much anything that could be seen as something that promotes smoking is no longer marketed to children. A really good example of that was seen in the 4Kids TV release of One Piece where Sanji's cigarette was replaced with a lollipop.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
DuskyPredator, these days, at least where I live in the US, candy cigarettes aren't even sold anymore. Pretty much anything that could be seen as something that promotes smoking is no longer marketed to children.

Ah, but they can still be had, along with a ton of other retro candy (and other foods). It's kind of amazing that someone is still manufacturing these oldies. Smile

@ pibburns: Was this what you were remembering?
pibburns

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

@ pibburns: Was this what you were remembering?

Yup, except when was kid, the strips cost a few cents each :-}.
Thanks for the pointer.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Does Hotaru not own an umbrella?

HaruhiToy wrote:
Just how do you expect to "become popular with the girls" when there are only two in your world and you associate with both of them every day already?

I think the two characters are meant to be (understandably) unpopular with the girls at school. We never see any of that though, so it's hard to connect to those scenes. It's barely even acknowledged that these kids even go to school. Considering how common the school setting is this more of a plus, I think.

Beltane70 wrote:
As much as I enjoyed this series, I'm a bit disappointed that Kokonotsu's aspirations to be a manga artist weren't of more importance to the show's overall plot. You'd figure if that was his dream, that it would have received a bit more coverage.

Agreed. That element of the show bothered me a little bit. It feels sort like they just wanted an excuse for Coconuts to not want to take over the store but didn't really want to bother with it. Another explanation might have been better if they didn't want the element to have any ramifications.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5