• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Oscar Campaigns For Anime Worth It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
bw: Meh, if we're talking '02, then the Rintaro Metropolis deserved to get in, too. But they picked Jimmy Neutron instead.

Oh, hither twice! When I first became an anime fan, my initial taste of alienation with the mainstream came when I discovered that I liked such a film far more than any awarding body did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Oscar campaigns for anime will not be worth it until anime starts regularly putting out content that is worthy of the award. I agree that the Oscar voters are mostly out of touch old men and most of the voting seems to have a political bias, but that doesn't change the fact that the movies do have to at least be good to get in. Your Name might be an awesome anime, but Oscar voters are likely to have a pre-existing bias against anime in general due to the amount of crap that comes out.

Ask yourself this - how many times have you said to friends and family who are not fans of anime, "Hey, I have this really cool show I want you to see" and you put it on, and it might be a fairly awesome example of an anime show/movie/whatever, but then there are certain parts of it that play heavily to some common anime trope (something that doesn't play well to the general audience) and you have to feel slightly embarrassed about, or perhaps its just something that is an "in joke" or anime convention that seems stupid to people not fans of anime. Now imagine you are showing that same stuff to old men who have very particular, and probably scrutinizing tastes in the "proper" construction of a movie. Probably not going to go over well for the vast majority of anime (even some of the stronger entries), with or without the politics.

So yea, the Oscars aren't fair, but anime is not making enough Oscar worthy content to make consistent, serious contention a realistic possibility.

Absolutely bollocks when the medium they judge itself is heavily subscribing to Sturgeon's Law as well. Mad Max: Fury Road won and that film had more depravities than Kimi no na Wa, let alone a lot of mainstream anime, but nope "is Live Action so that gets a pass hohohoho."
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Pai: Fury Road got in, because the director's done other things besides post-apocalyptic work, and because of his contributions to the biz in general.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Pai: Fury Road got in, because the director's done other things besides post-apocalyptic work, and because of his contributions to the biz in general.

And basically because Fury Road was directed by the same director who'd done the 80's films, and gave us a good all-out taste of how movies used to be made in the 80's before they were corporate franchise-strategied to death.

Sort of the same reason we went wild over Jurassic World and Star Wars: Force Awakens that year, but Fury Road was better--Pretty much the same (and not as good) as Road Warrior in 1982, but you have an entire generation that was never alive to see it in a theater, and thought it was some bold, groundbreaking new revolution out of left field.
George Miller was symbolically put on a pedestal for "We miss 80's movies! Crying or Very sad "
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Man, when I saw how that voter called Princess Kaguya a "freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw" I was like you know what:
If they can't get people to appreciate other forms of animation that is not in the US, then what is the point of having an Academy Awards volunteer panel if all your excuse is "well, I only watch it cause my kids like it"?

Last edited by Heishi on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Eric: IMHO, Straight Outta Compton was better than Fury Road. But it wasn't as female-friendly.

Heishi: If the category didn't exist, then the voters couldn't cut deals with studio heads to nab sweet cameos in the latest talking whatever cartoon. Rolling Eyes
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I don´t think that the "Animation Ghetto" ever existed for US animation. Exhibit A to Z being The Simpsons. That show is arguably it´s own language by now. Or it´s original form The Flintstones (read the new 10/10 comic reboot). Anyone´s grandmother will be able to spot both. Even all that no budget Hanna-Barbera trash has an eternal legacy.

@GATSU RT is a nonsensical pile of trash and WB ironically owns the site. Use Metacritic if you truly need a number assigned to a recent release, as i at least get their criteria. I also don´t think that even 1% of the Deadpool or Squad ticket buyers showed up for the makeup and hair.
The comic films that continue to be snubbed by the Oscars are the Snyder films, if anything. Hate the scripts and direction all you want but at least Michael Wilkinson´s designs have been objectively top of the line since Watchmen. His cinematographers are something else too. But nah, let´s nominate the usual selection of period pieces, as Jackie, in the Best Costume Design category. A good film but no way in hell did her dresses look better than the tailored suits Clark (what do reporters make again?) and Bruce wear. Deadpool would be another top candidate for such a category. These categories aged abysmally...
PS: The current satiation with Asghar Farhadi is something else. The Oscars are relevant again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I don´t think that the "Animation Ghetto" ever existed for US animation. Exhibit A to Z being The Simpsons. That show is arguably it´s own language by now. Or it´s original form The Flintstones (read the new 10/10 comic reboot). Anyone´s grandmother will be able to spot both. Even all that no budget Hanna-Barbera trash has an eternal legacy.

Considering the term got started in the United States, I think it does exist. Two factors here: The Flintstones was originally meant for adults (as were Looney Tunes), but they are now perceived as for kids; and currently, the only animation for adults that mainstream in the United States will accept are comedies (as can be seen with how Battle for Terra bombed, which to my knowledge is the only high-profile all-CGI movie that is neither a family film nor a comedy and wasn't totally destroyed by the critics).

The consensus among animation fans is that the Animation Age Ghetto didn't really exist until the 1960's or 1970's, when Disney was the only major producer of theatrical animation remaining and produced nothing but family films, with Hanna-Barbera making children's shows on TV (they did continue to produce other adult-aimed sitcoms like The Roman Holidays and Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home, but they were ratings losers and H-B eventually stopped). The United States endured at least three decades of animation being aimed solely at kids, with what was once adult animation being rerun on Saturday mornings and such, broken in 1990 with The Simpsons and Beauty and the Beast (sort of), and so the notion that animation is only for kids anchored itself real firmly to the culture.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The consensus among animation fans is that the Animation Age Ghetto didn't really exist until the 1960's or 1970's, when Disney was the only major producer of theatrical animation remaining and produced nothing but family films, with Hanna-Barbera making children's shows on TV (they did continue to produce other adult-aimed sitcoms like The Roman Holidays and Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home, but they were ratings losers and H-B eventually stopped). The United States endured at least three decades of animation being aimed solely at kids, with what was once adult animation being rerun on Saturday mornings and such, broken in 1990 with The Simpsons and Beauty and the Beast (sort of), and so the notion that animation is only for kids anchored itself real firmly to the culture.

True: In the 70's, mainstream animation was Disney or Saturday-morning, period, and any independent "artsy" animator, like Richard Williams, Ralph Bakshi or "Yellow Submarine" went out of their way to showboat, "Look, it's animation but it's NOT DISNEY!"

70's Disney was the Ron Miller era, that had an inferiority complex about not being able to get out of Walt's shadow, and "What would Walt do?" pretty much meant either remaking the Jungle Book for the next fifteen years, or beating their old classics into the ground.
The latter, they did, to the point that Disney symbolized the "safe" G-rated Establishment, and even up to '85, when "Black Cauldron" was beaten by "The Care Bears Movie", that opened up the entire rest of the 80's to see animation as only fit to sell brand names to kids with their parent's permission.

Even when the Great 90's Disney Renaissance began, adults were--I only wish I were kidding--literally afraid to go see a Disney movie by themselves, either believing it would be more saccharine Bambi, or that people would point at them as "creepy pedophiles" and parents would hurry their kids away at the sight of them.
Of course, turned out Little Mermaid wasn't so bad after all, but when Beauty & the Beast didn't turn out so bad either at the NYFF, and we were stuck for Oscar nominees, adults insisted that B&B get a Best Picture nomination, so there!...Who's laughing now?? You can even look up the vintage RT reviews for "Aladdin" and see critics telling grownups no, really, it's okay, no one will think badly of you if you were going just to laugh at Robin Williams' jokes, just like regular responsible adults who watch TV sitcoms, 'n stuff. (Eventually leading to critics talking about Shrek's "Humor adults can enjoy with their kids" that went to Dreamworks' head.)
And then, after we all realized it was okay, and the coast is clear, we realized there were enough of us to stand up and shout to the world "Lion King is a CLASSIC, how d'you like them apples?" Razz
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that Bojack Horseman Season 3 had an interesting take on the academy. Meaning that the show ripped it apart wholesale. Give it a go, the series is an insightful masterpiece and i would like to remind everyone that some of the most praised current tv shows are animated. Not that anyone cares about tv critics but still. The "acclaim" IS there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4