• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Long Will Anime Stay Up On A Streaming Site?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Which semi-serialized shows have you seen compilation DVDs for? Just curious.

I don't pay quite as much attention to home video releases of live-action TV (but I do watch live-action) as much as animation, so all of these examples will be animated, but I have seen compilation DVDs for Adventure Time, Regular Show, Phineas and Ferb, Kim Possible, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The latter two have been a problem for their fans because only compilation DVDs exist in wide distribution for Friendship Is Magic (season sets are available, but only through Amazon and are in low quantities), and only compilation DVDs exist at all in the United States for Kim Possible (season sets are available in Germany, but they're, well, in German).

Obviously, all five of these programs are marketed at kids (not necessarily aimed at them), so I guess the idea is that they exist for kids who don't care what episodes are in them, just that they can get their fix of the show; or that they're themed episodes, such as Christmas (I guess as stocking stuffers) or featuring a particular character (I guess if someone is into that character). Not sure how accurate this is as far as children's viewing habits though. I suspect they're more savvy than that and would prefer episodes in order. Certainly, the people who assemble them are unaware of (or don't care) that these shows are more meaningful when viewed in order. (South Park would be an example, but they stopped releasing compilation DVDs before the show took on a semi-serial approach.)

There aren't quite as many of them as there used to be, as streaming has mostly usurped the purpose of these home video releases.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
What's the point of buying DVDs if in a few years the DVDs will stop working either through corruption of data or damage to the disc itself? That's why I'm glad for all these streaming sites. If you don't get to watch it while it's streaming, well, I just shrug and move on.

Downloading digitally seems like a better idea to me especially if you can transfer it to unlimited devices as well as have backups. A pity that doesn't exist in the real world, though.

What is the climate like in your country? How do you live, in an apartment or a house?
Does it have relatively modern temperature control? How have you stored your DVDs? Do you move a lot? These sorts of things are factors in the lifespan of physical media.

DVDs last a long time. I have DVDs from the early 2000s that still work just fine. e.g. TCM's release of Singing in the Rain, Bandai's Escaflowne singles The DVDs are kept on shelves in a basement that is cool in summer and warm in winter, are always put back into their cases and are not hauled around.

Perhaps for your lifestyle, DVDs are not the best option but they are a format that isn't flimsy.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
...only compilation DVDs exist in wide distribution for Friendship is Magic(season sets are available, but only through Amazon and are in low quantities)

I'm not sure what you mean. Barnes and Noble carries season sets of FIM; I just bought Season 6 from Sunrise Records (Canada); I haven't always bought the sets right on the release date, years later sometimes, and have not had to buy from sellers; Unless reprints solved initial shortages, which I don't remember from buying Season 1 and 2 right off, I don't think that the prints are as small as you think. The sets are not ubiquitous the way that Wonder Woman on home video is but most of Shout! Factory's stuff falls into that category.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Barnes and Noble carries season sets of FIM; I just bought Season 6 from Sunrise Records (Canada); I haven't always bought the sets right on the release date, years later sometimes, and have not had to buy from sellers; Unless reprints solved initial shortages, which I don't remember from buying Season 1 and 2 right off, I don't think that the prints are as small as you think. The sets are not ubiquitous the way that Wonder Woman on home video is but most of Shout! Factory's stuff falls into that category.

But you live in Canada, where the show is made. Just like how you guys get season sets of ReBoot but we never had any (so we've had to import them all). For someone like me who lives in the United States, Amazon has been the only option, or at least it was when I checked a couple of years ago. (It might have changed now; I hadn't checked.)

I should've specified that, and I should've suspected they'd be easier to find in Canada. I think the only Canadian show here in the US that got wide release season sets was Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy. Even Total Drama is a tough find.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
What's the point of buying DVDs if in a few years the DVDs will stop working either through corruption of data or damage to the disc itself?

I suggest you take better care of your DVDs then. I have DVD from 1999 that work perfectly.
Hell, I have VCDs from 1990 that still work perfectly. Just take care of your stuff.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
The current American copyright length post-1989 anime is the shorter term of 95 years from creation or 120 years from creation. Assuming that CR, Funi, and the Japanese companies were still around in 2137, that would interesting how streaming would work for an anime (subbed or dubbed) after it becomes public domain in the US.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
@Kadmos1

Of course the final dub, the subtitles and the disk authoring all carry their own copyright which could extend the date even further. Not that I think anyone here will care by that time.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
"Going digital" by ripping DVDs can be done with some releases, usually older ones. Don't have any experience with blu-rays... yet. It is just an ongoing race between the sides. As long as I own the disc, and don't distribute, I think it's reasonable. Although digging to find the right software can be a pain.
MakeMKV can rip Blu-rays for you. Just be warned that "rip" means "rip" - be prepared to set a few dozen gigabytes aside on your hard drive(you'll have to transcode them yourself if you want smaller files).
invalidname wrote:
Another consideration is that phone-home-type DRM schemes will die if the authentication servers ever go down, as will happen if the company selling the media decides to exit the market or goes out of business.
Interestingly, that's actually happened with Adobe. The last downloadable version of their Creative Suite is DRM-free just to deal with the legal obligations of having to make it available at the time. Not that I expect most companies to be that responsible without teams upon teams of high-powered lawyers aimed at them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
@Alan45: Not only might they care by then, it's possible anime's popularity will have largely died out. That is, perhaps technological advances like "Star Trek"-style holograms and even advanced virtual reality might have become common place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4