• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Karakuri Circus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenimAndLeather

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
The suggestion is during the speech when she's burning to death. But it's vague.

-

Certainly it makes it clear that the villagers didn't do it, unlike the anime where they are faceless pitchfork wielding maniacs, as opposed to the uneducated people with genuine fears that the comic presents.

I also didn't catch the rape suggestion, I mean given he kidnapped her I just kinda assumed he would but did not pick up anything regarding that.

Also thanks for clarifying on the fire bit. Watching this episode I genuinely thought the villagers started it and was very weird how Yin never got angry at them and he just walked away. I was expecting him to blow a gasket but nope.
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
DenimAndLeather wrote:
Brack wrote:
The suggestion is during the speech when she's burning to death. But it's vague.

-

Certainly it makes it clear that the villagers didn't do it, unlike the anime where they are faceless pitchfork wielding maniacs, as opposed to the uneducated people with genuine fears that the comic presents.

I also didn't catch the rape suggestion, I mean given he kidnapped her I just kinda assumed he would but did not pick up anything regarding that.

It's very much open to interpretation. I'm not sure where I fall on it, the story seems more interested in getting to point where she vows to come back in her next life with a sealed off heart, so that we can see that happening in both Doll Francine and Eleanor/Shirogane.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
Question for anyone that has read the manga, how many volumes did Episodes 11 and 12 end up covering?
DCR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Question for anyone that has read the manga, how many volumes did Episodes 11 and 12 end up covering?

About three volumes.
They reached the end of vol. 19, which means there are 24 episodes left for the same number of volumes.
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Addressing some of the points on the review's list and why the anime frequently makes no sense.

1. In the comic the “Shirogane-O” concept is introduced during the hospital arc which is where we first meet George LaRoche. So the introduction of lots of them makes more sense there. In general assume if something didn't make sense in the anime it did in the comic.

2. George LaRoche is sent to recruit Ashihana because he failed in the hospital arc. So his character development in the anime? GONE. Also, there was whole arc cut much earlier in Narumi's story that explained the drinking of shirogane blood and why it's taboo.

3. I think most of the journey is off panel in the comic, but the dog is explained much earlier.

4. In the comic we meet one of the original 4 much earlier. We also had their motivations explained much earlier.

5. Mingxia had a complicated past with her dad and a past with Narumi in the comic. GONE! Fatima didn't have much more to her.

7. A bunch of shirogane were cut from the anime. Plus the ones we do meet had longer introduction scenes in the comic. Because various characters are cut, some of the action beats are cut and/or reassigned.

8. Faceless's backstory is longer in the comic.

9. Tor's is about the same IIRC.

10. Due to the characters cut out, the next episode is probably also going to have some weird beats as behaviour will have to be reassigned. They just better not mess up Lucille's scenes.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Timbavati is a Shirogane, not a Shirogane-O (whoever updated the EN wikipedia page got this wrong too). The danger of shirogane blood to Automatons was established in episode 8. At this point you might have presumed otherwise, but that was a rare thing they actually foreshadowed.

In the comic, Lucille hiding the soft stone in a human to use as bait had been hanging over the story from before the hospital arc. That it was her own daughter wasn't revealed until this point, so you weren't sure if it was Eleanor or not that was housing the soft stone. And establishing the bait aspect earlier meant you still had the idea that Masaru's father was also using him as bait in your head.

On the whole I thought this was one of the better episodes since the prologue. Messing up the sequence with Lucille tempting Dottore was the one thing that would have got me to drop it, but it was one of the best things they've done in the adaptation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm honestly struggling to care much either way at this point.

That's where I'm at. I think I'll keep reading the reviews (unless they don't make the cut for this season), but I felt nothing but relief once I decided to drop this.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
"When Timbavati dies killing Columbine, we learn that shirogane-O blood is apparently corrosive poison to the automata."

We've known this for awhile. An automata tries to suck the blood of a human to heal itself after the plane crash in Episode 8 but accidentally strikes Eleanor (real name of the first Shirogane we meet and main female protagonist), to which the automata is visibly alarmed and says something along the lines of "Not Shirogane blood!".

Don't knock this episode for things that you failed to pick up on, the hints were there that automata get poisoned if they ingest Shirogane blood.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
I think the reviewer is way too harsh on this show, it is really a product of it's time, and while that excuses nothing, I think it is better to embrace it for what it is, rather than expect it to conform, which it really won't do.

I do not think it is, so far, as tightly written as Ushio & tora, but it is not a bad show. The plot is very interesting, and most of the execution is handled well. I too have not cared about most of the deaths in the show so far, so I get your point there, even if I had extra time like in the Manga I doubt I would care, but that's a bit too much to get bigged down on.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
This show had some decent emotional material in the first half-dozen episodes which has been lost since Narumi became separated from Shirogane and Masaru. Now it's just a bunch of silly battles involving people I don't care about at all. I'll wait to see what the next arc brings, but if it's more of the same, I'm dropping this show.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
OK so episode 14....nice reveal that the Francine is a fake Francine....where is the real one ?.

Then the real kicker of this episode...Narumi smashes in the fake Francine and then all of a sudden we jump back to Shirogane and Narumi suddenly shows up and low and behold 3 weeks or whatever have passed. I didn't quite realise what was going on at first but they staged that shockingly bad..no fallout from bashing in Francine or the end of the Big Tent fight ?.

I've only got up to volume 10 of the kanzen-ban (literally came in the mail today) and it ends "just" before the big tent stuff starts. 11 and 12 look to be the circus fight stuff.

They are doing the WHOLE manga in 37 episodes...I think we've got a whole lot more exposition coming our way but gonna stick with it as I love the story.

I won't buy the blu-rays when it comes out..will stick with the kanzen ban as that's how the story was supposed to have been portrayed...makes you feel as though this could have easily been a 60+ episode anime but no sadly we get it compressed exposition central Sad
EiMs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
I agree with OP all these deaths didn't have any emotional wage. It was like we introduce new character and we kill him in the same episode or a flowing one. I hope they will return to 1 arc model, because I loved that trio.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
I really liked this anime but I feel that now it's becoming too rushed. Anyone else feel the same?
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
I really liked this anime but I feel that now it's becoming too rushed. Anyone else feel the same?

Try reading the other comments, they've messed and rushed the source material pretty badly
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:40 am Reply with quote
Just a heads up that it's a recap episode this week for anyone who might be looking for a new episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6