• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Inuyasha Spinoff Anime Yashahime's Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Primus wrote:
Primus wrote:
This looks like a typical nonunion LA anime dub from Viz.

Ben Diskin says it's actually a union dub. David Kaye probably will return. The jury's out on anyone else since they're not in LA and are part of a different union.

Sesshomaru seems to appear the most in a supporting role, so that might actually make sense.

Hopefully they're able to get everyone else back.

I've been watching the series on Hulu weekly was just thinking about a dub for the show the other day definitely was hoping for Ocean's involvement for the dub. The casting choices are very run of the mill but the real issue here is none of these legacy characters will be reunited with their respective original actors which is baffling to me. Viz should of obviously taken the extra step to ensure that Karl Willems was directing this dub he would of ensured the return of a vast majority of the original cast. A grand missed opportunity from the whomever is running the show and making these less then stellar decisions. If David Kaye does end up playing Sesshomaru again then this union dub will actually be worth watching time will tell.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Why on earth is Funimation doing this? If any company on this continent deserves to do this show,it's Viz with Ocean Studios. Now,I'm not saying Funimation is a bad studio or their actors are bad,but why are they doing "Yashahime?" They didn't dub the original "Inuyasha" anime,so why are they doing this one? Can somebody tell me why? I'd really like an answer to this question.
Funimation is not dubbing Yashahime. It's being dubbed by Bang Zoom. Funimation is only streaming it as part of their new streaming deal with Viz. Viz controls the master license for Yashahime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:45 am Reply with quote
Well,thanks for the answers,Cardcaptor Takato. While it's good Viz still has the license for the show,it's kind of a shame that Ocean Studios isn't doing the dub. While Bang Zoom isn't a bad studio,I still wish that it was being done by Ocean,nonetheless. But,if I can be allowed to make an observation,the main character of this show dresses little like she was raised not by Kagome's little brother,but by Colonel Sanders.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,thanks for the answers,Cardcaptor Takato. While it's good Viz still has the license for the show,it's kind of a shame that Ocean Studios isn't doing the dub. While Bang Zoom isn't a bad studio,I still wish that it was being done by Ocean,nonetheless. But,if I can be allowed to make an observation,the main character of this show dresses little like she was raised not by Kagome's little brother,but by Colonel Sanders.

Couldn't agree more, I know the vast majority tend to bash the SDI Media/Spliced Bread dubs but honestly I find Bang Zoom! to be more overrated than SDI Media given that they've been utilized a lot in LA the past 5-6 years, and in my honest opinion they just continue repeating the same talent pool of actors they've been utilizing in their current dubs these days which is the reason why most anime licensing companies like Aniplex, Viz Media and Netflix tend to send their titles to that studio. And when compared to Studiopolis, VSI LA, NYAV Post, and SDI Media/Spliced Bread's Union dubs, their union dubs are just the "same old same old" talent pool of actors they utilize, but with 1-2 or 2-3 Union actors involved in it (e.g. Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, etc..) and those that rarely appear in Bang Zoom! dubs these days (e.g. Max Mittelman, Michelle Ruff, Cristina Vee, Robbie Daymond, Bryce Papenbrook, Christopher Corey Smith, etc.).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Couldn't agree more, I know the vast majority tend to bash the SDI Media/Spliced Bread dubs but honestly I find Bang Zoom! to be more overrated than SDI Media given that they've been utilized a lot in LA the past 5-6 years, and in my honest opinion they just continue repeating the same talent pool of actors they've been utilizing in their current dubs these days which is the reason why most anime licensing companies like Aniplex, Viz Media and Netflix tend to send their titles to that studio. And when compared to Studiopolis, VSI LA, NYAV Post, and SDI Media/Spliced Bread's Union dubs, their union dubs are just the "same old same old" talent pool of actors they utilize, but with 1-2 or 2-3 Union actors involved in it (e.g. Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, etc..) and those that rarely appear in Bang Zoom! dubs these days (e.g. Max Mittelman, Michelle Ruff, Cristina Vee, Robbie Daymond, Bryce Papenbrook, Christopher Corey Smith, etc.).

I feel like it's just a thing for voice acting in general that certain VA's tend to pop up fairly frequently in projects rather than something that just Bang Zoom is guilty of.

For me I'm less concerned about whether it's a similar cast to other productions compared to whether who they cast is the right fit for the role.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I like a lot of Bang Zoom dubs and I think they've done some strong work over the years. My big issue with Bang Zoom is they've been accused of discriminatory practices lately but there hasn't been much investigation done into them and they apparently haven't faced any consequences for the allegations.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
My big issue with Bang Zoom is they've been accused of discriminatory practices lately but there hasn't been much investigation done into them and they apparently haven't faced any consequences for the allegations.

You mean regarding Carole & Tuesday and JoJo Part 5?
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

I feel like it's just a thing for voice acting in general that certain VA's tend to pop up fairly frequently in projects rather than something that just Bang Zoom is guilty of.

For me I'm less concerned about whether it's a similar cast to other productions compared to whether who they cast is the right fit for the role.

It doesn't matter, Bang Zoom! has just been overused a lot in the LA dubbing area and like I said before they're so selective on the actors they want to utilize in their union dub productions when compared to Studiopolis, VSI LA, etc. as literally the cast in their union dubs are just the current voice actors they utilize in their non-union productions, 1-2 or 2-3 Union actors involved in it (e.g. Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, etc..) and those that rarely appear in the current Bang Zoom! dubs these days (e.g. Max Mittelman, Michelle Ruff, Cristina Vee, Robbie Daymond, Bryce Papenbrook, Christopher Corey Smith, etc.)

Another issue I have with Bang Zoom! is that they have the AX Idol and Adventures in Voice Acting workshops in the conventions every year (up until this year) for anyone who want to become voice actors. However, it's both a good and a bad thing as because of this ever-increasing rise of these new actors there is competition in auditions for anime roles which leads to those actors competing for these roles and some of the other new actors and those from the year before either:

1. Get pushed aside and get the short end of the stick resulting in them to audition elsewhere at another studio in LA (e.g. Christine Cabanos)

2. Continue doing more voice actor workshops to continue getting better in their acting experience(e.g. Alan Lee, Kayli Mills)

3. Move to another state where they specialized in anime dubbing like New York or Texas (e.g. Natalia Hoover, Amanda Lee) to avoid competition.

4. They fade into obscurity and either retired from voice acting or stopped doing it as they either felt it was not as fun as they initially thought or want to find other ventures that pay better (e.g. Shelby Lindley, Caitlin Chang, Jonathan Meza, Heather Pennington, Michelle Ann Dunphy, Yian Ruiz, John Estanislau, etc..)

So you can thank Mami Okada for these sort of changes.

After the Hunter x Hunter dub ended its run in 2019 and other than the Konosuba and Seven Deadly Sins dubs I stopped but moreso lost interest in watching the more recent Bang Zoom! dubs given that they tend to repeat reusing the same group of actors in their non-union and especially Union dubs these past 3-4 years, along with the fact that Bang Zoom! is so selective with the voice actors they want to utilize for their union dubs when compared to Studiopolis, VSI LA, NYAV Post, and SDI Media/Spliced Bread which go all out on using many different voice actors, that Bang Zoom! doesn't bother using in their Union dubs.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I like a lot of Bang Zoom dubs and I think they've done some strong work over the years. My big issue with Bang Zoom is they've been accused of discriminatory practices lately but there hasn't been much investigation done into them and they apparently haven't faced any consequences for the allegations.

Which I'm not surprised as they have these AX Idol and Adventures in Voice Acting workshops in the conventions every year (up until this year) for anyone who want to become voice actors which is both a good and a bad thing as because of this ever-increasing rise of these new actors there is competition in auditions for anime roles which leads to those actors competing for these roles and some of the other new actors and those from the year before either:

1. Get pushed aside and get the short end of the stick resulting in them to audition elsewhere at another recording studio in LA (e.g. Christine Cabanos)

2. Continue doing more voice actor workshops to continue getting better in their acting experience(e.g. Alan Lee, Kayli Mills)

3. Move to another state where they specialized in anime dubbing like New York or Texas (e.g. Natalia Hoover, Amanda Lee) to avoid competition.

4. They fade into obscurity and either retired from voice acting or stopped doing it as they either felt it was not as fun as they initially thought or want to find other ventures that pay better (e.g. Shelby Lindley, Caitlin Chang, Jonathan Meza, Heather Pennington, Michelle Ann Dunphy, Yian Ruiz, John Estanislau, etc..)

I understand that's how the voice acting industry works but the way they choose voice actors on which ones they want to utilize in their dubs literally has become a "favoritism issue". Plus, Bang Zoom! is so selective with the voice actors they want to utilize for their union dub productions when compared to Studiopolis, VSI LA, NYAV Post, and SDI Media/Spliced Bread which go all out on using many different voice actors (including those that Bang Zoom! rarely uses in their dubs).

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

That was two of the main ones people brought up but I remember earlier this summer during the height of all the protests going on, there was a lot of talk about it being a broader systematic issue with the studio which seemed to imply it happens more frequently than those two instances.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

That was two of the main ones people brought up but I remember earlier this summer during the height of all the protests going on, there was a lot of talk about it being a broader systematic issue with the studio which seemed to imply it happens more frequently than those two instances.

Honestly, it does bring in new light in regards to whether or not non-black or non-dark skinned actors should not voice dark skinned anime characters anymore in dubs and use African American or dark skinned actors instead, cause honestly it does feel unusual for Ray Chase to voice two dark-skinned characters in Hunter x Hunter and a few others for Carole and Tuesday when literally he's white.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:05 am Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Honestly, it does bring in new light in regards to whether or not non-black or non-dark skinned actors should not voice dark skinned anime characters anymore in dubs and use African American or dark skinned actors instead, cause honestly it does feel unusual for Ray Chase to voice two dark-skinned characters in Hunter x Hunter and a few others for Carole and Tuesday when literally he's white.
There were some black VAs in Hunter X Hunter, and as well as voicing some of the black characters, they also voiced some of the Japanese characters.
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
I'm glad the Eureka Seven films weren't dubbed at Bang Zoom! cause they would've made a lot of recasting on some of the characters including Talho Yuki who is voiced by Kate Higgins who somehow hasn't appeared in ANY dubs for Bang Zoom! since 2008.
Eureka Seven(the show) was dubbed by Bang Zoom!, why would they, I assume you mean the ADR Director, recast characters in their own show.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
There were some black VAs in Hunter X Hunter, and as well as voicing some of the black characters, they also voiced some of the Japanese characters.

Yeah but other than Mela Lee (who voiced Canary) they didn't started using them until the Greed Island arc and I questioned why they didn't bothered using Chris Jai Alex, Zeno Robinson or Jalen Cassell to voice Squala and/or Gerretta. Even you had a few other dark/black characters in the dub that we're voiced by non-black actors.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Eureka Seven(the show) was dubbed by Bang Zoom!, why would they, I assume you mean the ADR Director, recast characters in their own show.

Because Mami Okada and or the new current Bang Zoom! management would've made many different casting decisions for a few of its characters such as Talho Yuki and as I said I haven't seen Kate Higgins in ANY new roles for Bang Zoom! since Lucky Star in 2008. Besides, Mami Okada replaced Kaeko Sakamoto, who was the original casting director for the earlier Bang Zoom! dubs until 2011 which would explain why Bang Zoom! isn't interested in utilizing certain VA's anymore especially in their Union dub productions.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Damian Mills just reported on Twitter that Kirby just died.

https://twitter.com/DamanMills/status/1329553955039244290?s=19
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4