• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
As manga reader, I really felt this episode really slow. How can I? Let's sum it up. "Zenitsu finds that one of the women working of a Yoshiwara is a poweful demon and is knocked out"

At first I fhought that the Demon Slayer anime would add more content to expand the Hashira or improve Zenitsu's traits as season 1 did but the Train Arc and the Red Light are feeling really slow like if director Haruo Sotozaki said "This thing sells like pancakes! I'm gonna exploit it!" One with the way they are naming it seems like Ufotable will make one cour per arc which really feels bad especially when we didn't even reach the manga's second half.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Still trying to figure out how nobody suspects any of them of being boys. Inosuke is a give when taken literally at face value, but the other two after having their makeup washed off? Not buying it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
As manga reader, I really felt this episode really slow. How can I? Let's sum it up. "Zenitsu finds that one of the women working of a Yoshiwara is a poweful demon and is knocked out"

At first I fhought that the Demon Slayer anime would add more content to expand the Hashira or improve Zenitsu's traits as season 1 did but the Train Arc and the Red Light are feeling really slow like if director Haruo Sotozaki said "This thing sells like pancakes! I'm gonna exploit it!" One with the way they are naming it seems like Ufotable will make one cour per arc which really feels bad especially when we didn't even reach the manga's second half.

It is the usual case for most jump anime either rushed or snail pace(thankfully we are still far from OP level) but since the episode count seem to be 11, starting from episode 5 they should switch to 3ch/ep, can't really blame the director since episode count are usually decided by the suits.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I won't lie to your faces and say that I didn't appreciate the fact that our current Big Bad is a sexy Demon murderess with cool body art and a solid fashion sense.

Yeah, really like the character design as well.

Emerje wrote:
Still trying to figure out how nobody suspects any of them of being boys. Inosuke is a give when taken literally at face value, but the other two after having their makeup washed off? Not buying it.

Emerje

But, Tanjiro has a small bit of his hair up in a bow, so... point for demon slayer I think
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I personally don't like looking too much into it. I just take it as part of Demon's Slayer cartoony sense of humor
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
"Trio of sex workers in training"

Damn its like you didn't even watch the episode before and how they explained they are all not "sex workers"
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote
Not trying to stir things up, but you got Warabihime wrong twice with "Warabuhime".

"Then there's the way that the Oiran's backstory and relationship with Muzan are just dumped on us with a really long flashback, which is so hellbent on info-dumping everything we need to know about this villain that we get another flashback inside of the flashback"
4 and a half minutes are really long now? You sound completely broken like you had to witness at least half of an episode of backstory or more. And what kind of info-dumping are you talking about? Daki is there for generations, that's the big infodump there and how she killed O-Mitsu. Again, you sound like some heavy terminology was brought upon you.

Also, fundamentally the boys have to look for the wives while gathering clues or trails about the demon if they can. Not the other way around like some kind of detective work about finding out the demon's true identity. Zenitsu encountering Daki then getting captured means Uzui and his wifes were right on money about narrowing down the likely houses. But it also means that Daki can expect demon hunters coming for her head and Zenitsu disappearing is an open invitation from her.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
I also don't understand the complain about infodump. Like it not infodump at all, it's more a showcase for the characters, for the viewers to see the characters personalities (Daki, Muzan, Zenitsu, Inosuke,...). It's literally "Show, don't tell".
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the trio, I wonder if the author has a thing for sets of 3. Three girls (triplets?) at the butterfly mansion, 3 wives, 3 girls at the brothel. I wonder if we'll be seeing sets of 3 throughout the series...
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Speaking of the trio, I wonder if the author has a thing for sets of 3. Three girls (triplets?) at the butterfly mansion, 3 wives, 3 girls at the brothel. I wonder if we'll be seeing sets of 3 throughout the series...

Eh. Its a common trope. Rule of 3 is a thing. Its kind of a magic number in fiction.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say the latest felt a bit more balanced than last week. The previous week had about of 5 minutes of Zenitsu being scared of the demon but without reactions. This time we had a subtle show of how Uzui actually cares about all his underlings when he tells Tanjiro and Inosuke to run away. The mice and all was fun but I just expected a bit more of swordplay. It's kinda like how Dragon Ball was appealing before it turned into that melodrama of serious battles where characters yell while punching each other without the charm of Bulma or Krillin who the audience can relate.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Having already read the whole manga a while ago but not seeing the episode yet I saw the article headline mention the muscle mice, went "Muscle mice? The hell are they talking about?" Went to look up a clip and went "oh... muscle mice..."
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I think the reviewers missing the point of the ranking system exposition. The joke here is who is giving the exposition (Inosuke) and how Tanjirou completely dumbfounded by Inosuke knowledge. As for Nezuko, maybe because i know what gonna happen next so i don't might her stay in the box for now. It make perfect sense that Tanjirou who know how dangerous an UM is doesn't want his sister to get involve. As for why they don't worry that much for Zentisu situation at the moment, the episode already stated why. Tanjirou figured out that the demon has a night job to maintain her disguise so she not gonna eat people she capture right away until she got some free time cause blood is hard to cover.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The Tanjiro faces were on point this week.

Regarding the Oiran, there were so many flags set up, was her getting attacked supposed to be a shock/surprise, or just obvious. Not sure which way the author was intending it to be read, but it certainly wasn't a surprise.

I appreciated the lampshading of calling Tanjiro out on trying to pretend to be a girl. "It was obvious from the start"

Ohm_0_ wrote:

Eh. Its a common trope. Rule of 3 is a thing. Its kind of a magic number in fiction.

Yeah, it just seems more prevalent here. Honestly I was surprised we just had a pair this week with the Oiran.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes James, please tell me the episodes where Zenitsu is absent or doesn't yell and scream more than once. Those are the episodes I might watch this season and your reviewer obligation to me will be fulfilled... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14