• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima! Live-Action Confirmed by Creator Ken Akamatsu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
koonkang wrote:
omnistry wrote:
Casting 31 Japanese girls is the easy part. What's going to be hard is finding a 10 year-old Welsh kid whose fluent in Japanese!

im from wales, im sure if i told some guys they had the chance to be around 31 japanese girls in school uniforms, theyd gladly learn some japanese!!

i know i wouldif i wernt already 16 Laughing
I know a nice 14 year old Welsh boy who looks just like Negi. He can speak both Welsh and English languages perfectly I'm sure he could give the Japanese language a go for the sake of 31 nice Japanese girls in their uniforms too. Wink
Mokkori

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You're all right. How dare I accuse Ken Akamatsu of cashing in on a popular series of novels by inserting his Love Hina characters into a fantasy setting? It's just "coincidence", and the people at T.H.E.M. are "idiots" for making that connection, too. Rolling Eyes

Now let us all read a quote from the review that GATSU provided the link for.

"Negima has been jokingly referred to as "Harem Potter", which is a bit off base, even though the main characters of both features are teenagers with magical powers. (Negi does at one point in the manga -- or at least the English translation of it -- make a Quidditch reference while flying with his staff.)"

You know if your going to show an example to support your opinion you might want to pick one that supports your's and not mine. Because the reviewer doesn't really see much of a connection either. He's just stating what other people have been saying. If he did see a significant connection he would have said something similar to what you said, of course he would have backed up his opinion a lot better then you did. Last time I checked, teenagers using magic is a concept that's been around a lot longer then Harry Potter.

Also, quit trying to shift some of the criticism towards you on to someone else, jerk!

I guess I should have remembered to add the word "strong" to the last sentence of my second post in this thread. Too late now I guess.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Mokkori:
Quote:
You know if your going to show an example to support your opinion you might want to pick one that supports your's and not mine. Because the reviewer doesn't really see much of a connection either. He's just stating what other people have been saying.

He still mentions Harry Potter in its "also recommended" bar. Plus there's that Quiddich reference. Either way, the fact that the connection is brought up at all indicates I'm not the only one who notices it. I'm not sure why people get so defensive about it. Animerica compared Kite to Le Femme Nikita at one point.

Quote:
Last time I checked, teenagers using magic is a concept that's been around a lot longer then Harry Potter.

Perhaps, but it's fairly obvious that Negima wasn't "inspired" by anything else from that genre but Potter.
Mokkori

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mokkori:
Quote:
You know if your going to show an example to support your opinion you might want to pick one that supports your's and not mine. Because the reviewer doesn't really see much of a connection either. He's just stating what other people have been saying.

He still mentions Harry Potter in its "also recommended" bar. Plus there's that Quiddich reference. Either way, the fact that the connection is brought up at all indicates I'm not the only one who notices it. I'm not sure why people get so defensive about it. Animerica compared Kite to Le Femme Nikita at one point.

Quote:
Last time I checked, teenagers using magic is a concept that's been around a lot longer then Harry Potter.

Perhaps, but it's fairly obvious that Negima wasn't "inspired" by anything else from that genre but Potter.

So because a few characters from Negima can use magic and takes place (mostly) in school that's not a magic school, it means that it's "inspired" by Harry Potter?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

So because a few characters from Negima can use magic and takes place (mostly) in school that's not a magic school, it means that it's "inspired" by Harry Potter?

It's clearly not inspired from that Lunar spin-off, anyway. Rolling Eyes

Moving on, I still don't get why someone else can make a thread comparing Love Hina to Maison Ikkoku, but the minute I compare Negima to Harry Potter, people become defensive.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And I can understand why someone would give a higher score to an anime based on an rpg than one based on a dating sim, since few play the latter genre for the story or the characters.

Um, what? I can tell you a lot of people play renai games for their stories and characters. I certainly do, and I'm not the only one.
Mokkori

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

It's clearly not inspired from that Lunar spin-off, anyway. Rolling Eyes

Moving on, I still don't get why someone else can make a thread comparing Love Hina to Maison Ikkoku, but the minute I compare Negima to Harry Potter, people become defensive.

Because besides magic and something Negi says in the engish version of the manga, Nejima and Harry Potter have nothing (significant) in common.

Now before you try to compare Negi and Harry (which I know you would if I didn't say anything). The only things they have in common are they wear glasses, they can use magic, they're both from parts of the U.K., and they're boys (well duh, you might say about that last one).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Pants:
Quote:
I can tell you a lot of people play renai games for their stories and characters.

And I'm sure most of them write for AOD, where they kill American companies by requesting moe-themed shows no one else is willing to buy. :P

Mokkori: The fact that they're similar at all makes it obvious Akamatsu was trying to appeal to that fanbase. And it's not like I'm attacking him specifically, since I thought Howl was a deliberate cash-in on HP, too. What makes Negima lame, though is that, it's just recycling Love Hina, the way Ranma recycled UY by adding martial arts. At least Howl at least tried to be slightly different.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I thought Howl was a deliberate cash-in on HP, too.
Now that is funny. Laughing
onlylunch2

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote
Kindly SHUT THE HELL UP!! ... in a nice way.. =P The thread is about negima Live Action not a bloody war over harry potter similarities (although i dont see many) so if you guys dont mind i thinkw e should stay on topic Anime smile, tankyou.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote
onlylunch2 wrote:
Kindly SHUT THE HELL UP!! ... in a nice way.. =P The thread is about negima Live Action not a bloody war over harry potter similarities (although i don't see many) so if you guys don't mind i thinkw e should stay on topic Anime smile, tankyou.

Know your place.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
onlylunch2 wrote:
Kindly SHUT THE HELL UP!! ... in a nice way.. =P The thread is about negima Live Action not a bloody war over harry potter similarities (although i don't see many) so if you guys don't mind i thinkw e should stay on topic Anime smile, tankyou.

Know your place.

What is that supposed to mean? He's right. Once again Gatsu has trolled and derailed a thread with a stupid unrelated comment on the very first post, and everyone else has fed his fetish for doing so by acknowledging it as if he had actually tried to make a point.

It's not surprising that someone new to the forum might find idiocy like this annoying. It seems like it would be much more meaningful to explain to onlylunch2 that there will never be useful discussion of this topic since GATSU got to it first than to make some rude 'know your place' comment.
onlylunch2

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Lol. Im just saying if the forum is going to turn into a Harry Potter/Negima comparison the thread name should be change so not to mislead people. And as for "know your place." well, i have freedom of speech lol =P
Starlight Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Couldn't they just cast most of AKB48?

Even though it was a good idea, it doesn't work that well. I tried to put the cast and the characters together. Some worked okay, but others really didn't work.
For you to decided, I paired up the characters by looks or whatever was left. I don'y know their personality, I just learned about them.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=62oznmc
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:
Its like playing golf in a football field, there is no @$%#@ing holes.

At least there is one good thing to come of this show.

onlylunch2 wrote:
2) The manga and anime were great! So why the hell are they messing with sucess??

Welcome to planet Earth, please form a line, the tour will be starting shortly.

Quote:
4) It'll suck, it just will. Anime and live action are almost polar opposites! You can't turn an apple into an orange dammit.

If ever there was an excuse to send all birthday magicians (and clowns while we are at it) somewhere ....

Quote:
5) Dubbing will be impossible since words wont math mouth movement, subbing will be unlikely since no wants to watch, let alone sub it.

Hasn't seemed to stop the anime industry.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Oh no, a Japanese series made for the Japanese market! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

Just remember, North America is a primary market now *cough*cough*

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Saying that Negima is like Harry Potter because they're both about orphaned English wizard boys who wear glasses is like saying NGE and RahXephon are the same because they're about a teenaged boy who pilots a giant robot to save the Earth from alien invaders.

Back on topic: since this has a snowball's chance in hell of being any good, I'm hoping for cheesy acting, inane plot, and bad 80's-style special effects. Then, it might be watchable for MST purposes.

So say we all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5