• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chihayafuru (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I think what pushes this show over into the exceptional category is very effective use of music. Can anyone provide any additional info on Kousuke Yamashita? Going by the ANN ratings, none of his other listings seem to be anything special... is it the team he's working with this time that's pulling it together? Maybe effective coordination with Masafumi Mima over sound direction? This looks like the first time they've worked together before... The strong hand of Morio Asaka? It doesn't look like they've worked together before either... It actually looks like this is also a first for Yamashita working with Madhouse... any clues how he was brought on for this show?
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Am I the only one who likes the fact that this is how real top-level competition would be? Chihaya's been skating by on her physical abilities for six years, which works against standard opponents, but now she's facing essentially world-class players where the gap in physical ability can be overcome with other skills. She's never bothered to develop other weapons, and now she's paying for it.

I'm right with you. If this were some sort of shonen tournament series she'd already have been queen for 3 years now or something. But instead, it's really showing how much the level of play amps up from one class to the next, and until she develops as a complete package, she won't have a chance. She is picking up pieces of what she needs, but she struggles to use them all at the same time and when she gets flustered the mistakes start piling up.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'm still disappointed. Sure, people lose and all. I get that competition is hard and that you have to learn to grow and develop new sets of skills in order to achieve greatness.

But. If you're making a show about something like that, you should really consider the audience and marketing. I'm not really interested in purchasing a show where all the feel good stuff is practically sucked right out of it. It makes it a downer and the latest episode still hasn't done anything to revive the show. What a let down.

I agree that the music and art are keeping this show glued together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UnknownSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:

As for my thoughts: they are probably just going to make the series stop, but I'd rather have that than an unfitting ending, made up just because it otherwise wouldn't have one. The show's slated for 24 episodes, but that is probably not because it should've been that long - it didn't have any guarantee that it would bring up the money that was put in the project. Aside from the recap, I think the show's one of the best in characterisation, development, animation, art, music, drama and comedy.

It is actually a lot more realistic that spoiler[Chihaya fails again.] Sure, it's a disappointment - but a lot of shounen heroes can take lessons spoiler[from her later in what it truly means to have worked hard for your dream.] Even if this episode was quite a downer for the audience, who spoiler[wanted Chihaya to win, the previous queen sure was easy to relate to. She had worked so hard all her life and struggled with high expectations.]

I agree that I would rather them simply find a good stopping point and providing the possibility for a future anime season, than having an anime original ending that simply didn't feel in-tune with the series.

One of the things I love most about Chihayafuru is how down to earth it is; how the characters (especially Chihaya) struggle with and overcome problems and/or defeat. To me, it would have felt like a slap in the face to the material if Chihaya or her team followed a typical "shounen route" and became the best after only one or two defeats just so the show could have a final ending.

As a previous poster mentioned, this really does feel like what you imagine high-level competition should feel like. Chihaya reaches rank A and finds out that there is so much more to the game that she loves than what she knew before. The mix of karuta and personal discovery that occurs is one reason I love this show so much.

Anyway, as I have said I would much rather have the possibility of revisiting this anime in a future season and seeing everything that has been built up pay off, than to have had a final ending now and ruin the essence of what this series is.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I really thought this was the last episode, but apparently there's still number 25. Looking forward to it, even though it might be the last new episode ever of this gorgeous series.
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Mmm from what I saw shouldn't there be 26 episodes?

BTW, maybe this was answered but I dont' have the time to check through the thread, but is it normal for the anime to go ahead of the manga? Or am I missing something...
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
anyone who has seen the interplay between Chihaya and his Mom before they go up and even the quip about the door has to admit this series has good humor built into the mix with all the great character development that's made this a great series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, Shinobu changed quite a bit but still love her Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChrisH8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that Shinobu will mostly change back since the cause of her change seems one-off.

Cross Game is 50 episodes and Hikari no Go is 75 episodes long. Saki is 25 episodes long and it's getting a second season after a three year break, as more manga material has come out, although it looks like most of it will be about a side story. I expect that Chihayafuru will get a second season much quicker since the manga is further ahead and it's not like the anime is completely josei.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ChrisH8 wrote:
I expect that Chihayafuru will get a second season much quicker since the manga is further ahead and it's not like the anime is completely josei.

Well if it does not, the last episode will consist of us the viewers watching the Karuta members spoiler[watch television]. Not exactly where I envisioned the story ending up. I have a feeling this is all we are getting.
mbanu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
A lot of care was taken in the animation. When Chihaya is stressed she looks one deep breath away from a panic attack. The doctor's age was clear in his movements whenever he played for long periods of time, showcasing the difficulties of aging in a pastime dominated by the young... his skill was strong, but his body was still that of a middle-aged man. In her day-to-day interactions with those in her own age group Chihaya looks normal, or even attractive, yet when paired against someone older than her, her young age is immediately apparent; ears too big for her head, neck too long for her body, gangly... awkward... perpetually surprised. Kunihiko Hamada is on fire with this one. The last time he did character design (I think?) was when he worked with Morio Asaka on NANA... Both very interesting characters... with Madhouse behind them, I'm not sure they can make a bad show.
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
ChrisH8 wrote:
I expect that Chihayafuru will get a second season much quicker since the manga is further ahead and it's not like the anime is completely josei.

Well if it does not, the last episode will consist of us the viewers watching the Karuta members spoiler[watch television]. Not exactly where I envisioned the story ending up. I have a feeling this is all we are getting.

That would be thoroughly disappointing if Chihayafuru does not get a second season while series like Phi Brain and Kimi to Boku do. Chihayafuru is a million times more interesting than spoiler[a villain obsessed with a puzzle freak and a narration of the lives of four average guys.]

On a side note, does Shinobu know the defending karuta Master? I got this feeling that she knows his style of playing. If I'm not mistaken, he's so good spoiler[that he easily patterned the outcome of his games to that of Shinobu's during the competition. Talk about foresight.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad series overall although it didn't make it into my top 5 this season around. 7/10 for me and remember...karuta is serious business.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely was in my top 5. In fact, was #1.

Yay for Chihaya! /chant/ SEASON 2, SEASON 2

Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I could honestly go either way re a second season. I would certainly enjoy one, but leaving it open-ended could work quite well too. The last line was lame, but this series had me rapt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16