• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment's Gurren Lagann Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
eh, I'm kinda not feeling the cast selection for the most part here, nothing against the actors, but I think this is gonna be one of those shows that you kinda HAVE to watch in Japanese, since if for nothing else, English actors can't approach hot blooded shows, since they seem to lack the reckless abandon the Japanese actors bring to the table.

Scryed's English dub was VERY hot-blooded. I believe it was also Bang Zoom, and also had Steve Blum. Smile

FaytLein wrote:
Add to the fact that no English super robot show, IMO EVER comes close to the original....I think I'll stick to buying the sub only version, but I will check it out when it hits the Sci-fi channel.

Didn't Evangelion's dub compare to the original? I've never heard any major complaints about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
sanosuke32 wrote:
Royal Devil wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Crispin playing the final villain character in Gurren Lagann.

depends if the series was unionized or not. Crispin does not go out of the union rules.

Doesn't Blum being in it kinda mean it's union? As of late, Blum hasn't done much non-union stuff.

Is he now unionized, I don't keep up with Blum anymore. I never said it wasn't unionized, I was just stating that crispin might or might not be in it later on in the series. So no, to me, it doesn't mean its unionized.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they'd be announcing the actor's real names if it wasn't unionized. Normally actors have to use pseudonyms to avoid getting fees charged to them by the unions if I remember right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I know that, but I didn't know Blum was unionized at all anymore.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I don't think they'd be announcing the actor's real names if it wasn't unionized. Normally actors have to use pseudonyms to avoid getting fees charged to them by the unions if I remember right.

Not necessarily. Eureka seveN was a union dub, and yet most of its cast is also on Bleach, which is non-union, and they're not using aliases for it either. I'm not sure how they do both union and non-union work without aliases. It's not like they're obcure VAs or anything. Johnny Yong Bosch is in everything these days. So I'm not sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
depends what kind of union they are in. Freeman said he can't do Bleach even if he wanted to cause it goes outside the union. Johnny Yong Bosch used to belong to a different union and thats why he used the name Kevin Hatcher for a while, but he got out of that one and thats why he can do watever he wants now. Probably another reason why he's quitting. Kari Wahlgren is also in Eureka Seven but can't do a voice in Bleach for the same reason, they're both in the SAG.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
depends what kind of union they are in. Freeman said he can't do Bleach even if he wanted to cause it goes outside the union. Johnny Yong Bosch used to belong to a different union and thats why he used the name Kevin Hatcher for a while, but he got out of that one and thats why he can do watever he wants now. Probably another reason why he's quitting. Kari Wahlgren is also in Eureka Seven but can't do a voice in Bleach for the same reason, they're both in the SAG.

I was led to believe "the union" refers to the Screen Actors' Guild. Though again, details are sparse. It'd be nice if ANN could somehow get that kind of data though, on whether dubs are union or not.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
agreed, cause I'm always wondering, ha ha.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Didn't Evangelion's dub compare to the original? I've never heard any major complaints about it.

Eva should NEVER be listed as hot blooded it's just plain not.

good hot Blooded dubs

GaoGaiGar
G Gundam
S-Cry-Ed
Martian Successor Nadesico.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Add to the fact that no English super robot show, IMO EVER comes close to the original....I think I'll stick to buying the sub only version, but I will check it out when it hits the Sci-fi channel.

I have to say that I truly do not like the Eva dub.

And honestly, every mecha show I've seen has had a generally better Japanese dub than English dub. That's not to say the English dubs are bad, but the Japanese ones are better.

No matter; I'll be watching this and Gundam 00 (and NTHT) on Ani-Monday this year, regardless of what language they're in. Lots of stuff to look forward to!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Magari-Yari wrote:
Starfire as Nia... huh... that's... hm, interesting.

I could see Starfire playing older Nia but can she do the delicate voice of young Nia.

Well, Hynden Walch was also Ace in the "Wild Cards" episode of Justice League.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Magari-Yari wrote:
Starfire as Nia... huh... that's... hm, interesting.

I could see Starfire playing older Nia but can she do the delicate voice of young Nia.

Well, Hynden Walch was also Ace in the "Wild Cards" episode of Justice League.

She is Starfire and Blackfire. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:03 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

jr0904 wrote:
this might be really interesting.though doing the sub first and the dubs last is kinda a little off to me.

With the DVD releases, yes. But it will be airing on tv in English shortly after the first sub-only DVD comes out. I like this because it allows those of us who want to watch it in Japanese the ability to watch it now, and those who want to watch it in English the ability to watch it on tv right now. Then if you like the dub, you can buy the DVDs when they come out next year. Not a bad idea, really.

yea,but doing that will cost more for them unfortunately and it might just bite them where it hurts.At least there is a dub version thank god but i hope there's no 22-22 Catch otherwise i will be mighty pissed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bluethree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Kyle was the guest at the college-run con I was a part of. He is a great guy. I'm happy for him.

I can't wait to hear Blum's Leeroy voice.
cms321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
OH! Okay I Get it now!

I just bought volume 1 yesterday. I gotta say though, I do like this releasing it in Japanese with subs only first. The main reason being that it's coming out NOW (volume 2 is due early next month) not to mention that each release has 9 episodes. So that means we can finish the entire series by...September? AWESOME. Although, fansubs are still easy to find of this show, so people might not buy them...I hope they do..I want to see this all the way through. Screw the dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5