• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clever/Intelligent Character Tournament: Pairings/Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luxa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Will post secondings and opposes later when the list will be in the opener.
Until then nominating:
Yoshito Kikuchi from Great Teacher Onizuka.
The rest of the characters I've thought of have already been nominated or just said to be intelligent without much demonstration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hercule Poirot from Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple.
Jane Marple from same.

Chao Lingshen from Negima? I haven't finished watching the anime, so I don't know if she shows it, but she definitely does in the manga.

Second Yuki Nagato.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
velocet wrote:
@Dorcas_Aurelia, on Yuki Nagato - she may essentially have superpowers, but there's an element of cleverness to how she uses those superpowers that I think makes Yuki a worthy candidate. For example, spoiler[the entire incident with Ryoko Asakura - both as an example of her quick thinking, and of her insight and forward planning, in a match where both parties have essentially the same superpowers, Yuki's own intelligence shows through.] I agree that she does toe the line a little, but I think she'd be fun to have in the tournament.

Good point. I take back my vote against Yuki.

Also, I'll second:
Shikimaru from Naruto
Urumi Kanzaki and Yoshito Kikuchi from GTO

By the way, we're currently at 126 characters (although one of them is essentially at 0 votes).

Showsni wrote:
Chao Lingshen from Negima? I haven't finished watching the anime, so I don't know if she shows it, but she definitely does in the manga.

She doesn't in the anime, and I'm annoyed that she was made into a stereotyical Chinese girl for the series, hence the strikethrough.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Minoru from Chobits (wealthy genius, brains and bucks)

I have to vote against Chiyo from Azumanga Daioh however, I don't see her ever demonstrate cleverness or intelligence, in fact, she frequently comes across more clueless and air-headed. I would hate to see her have a spot if someone else better comes along to fill it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Voting against

Bulma from Dragonball
Dr. Briefs from Dragonball
Mihama Chiyo from Azumanga Daioh
Skuld from Aa! Megami-sama

All for generally the same reason -- while they each possess unquestionable high intelligence in the form of scholastic excellence or technical acumen, they don't really demonstrate any cleverness, which (to me, at least) is a disqualifying factor.

Chiyo is too immature to figure in any serious contest of cleverness versus adult. She's simply too guileless.

For Skuld, many of the same arguments apply. Sure, she's smart, but she is eternally failing to achieve her goals due to her patent immaturity.

The ability to invent and develop technical gear may be very useful, but what matters is whether the character has the ability to match wits with an intelligent opponent, and have a reasonable chance of coming out on top. For this reason, I do not think Bulma and Dr. Briefs belong in the tournament.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Fingers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Hercule Poirot from Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple.
Jane Marple from same.

Ha! I didn't think of the Poirot & Marple anime although I am currently watching the British Poirot adaptation. Good one, and seconded.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I am starting to list out the entries at this point, so please do not edit posts further to add new votes or nominations. If you want to second, vote against, or nominate additional entries and you have already posted, please post anew.

Also, since I'm the one doing the typing, formal English titles will be used where applicable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to step up and nominate Kazundo Gohda from the second season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (I think that's only 3 GitS characters, right?). Probably the best example of his cleverness is that his 'social experiment' nearly got the better of both Aramaki and the Major, neither of whom are exactly slouches when it comes to reasoning and strategy. About half the collective cast of GitS (and SAC) is probably eligible for inclusion in this tournament, but Gohda's incredible skill with manipulating people and information while working within the framework of the bureaucracy really stands out to me.

Also, I'm seconding:
Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)
Daisuke Aramaki (Ghost in the Shell)
Ed (Cowboy Bebop)
Yuuko Ichihara (xxxHoLic)
Yuki Nagato (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Ginko (Mushi-Shi)

Last edited by Murasakisuishou on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yang Wenli and Reinhard from LotGH
Johan from Monster
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Kazunda Gouda from Ghost In The Shell: seconded - he's a criminal mastermind indeed.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Though he's not a good student, and I'm sure no one'll second it, I nominate Ozora Tsubasa from Captain Tsubasa. It takes a lot of brains to be able to copy and improve football techniques on the spot, as well as know how to attack and defend. Who says football doesn't use your smarts?

spoiler[At least I tried.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll second:
Douglas Rosenberg from El Cazador de la Bruja
Yukino Miyazawa from His and Her Circumstances
Daedalus Yumeno from Ergo Proxy
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The initial list, current as of Kimiko_0's last post, is on the lead post (seen here).

To my mild surprise, we got up past 128 candidates in only six hours, so we will certainly have a full bracket. Honestly, though, some of the characters nominated are marginal choices at best, so be sure to vote against those you're convinced are unworthy. Likewise, remember to vote for those you think are worthy even if they already have a lot of votes, as I'll be giving a lot of weight to high vote totals when determining the seeding.

And given how many candidates we have so far, from this point out I ask that you do not nominate anyone further who could reasonably be called "marginal" for qualifying for the tournament. (Basically, if you don't think there's a good chance of your nominee being at least seconded, don't nominate him/her/it). If you think a character that would be well-recognized as a strong contender is missing, by all means still nominate him/her/it, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
i'll go ahead and second:

Shikimaru[b] from Naruto
[b]Aizen
from Bleach
L from Death Note
Light from Death Note

Also, at some point I'm going to put in an argument for both Agatha Christie characters (Poirot and Marple), however, I don't have the time right now to do it justice. So later tonight or tomorrow sometime I'll whip that up.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple are being disallowed by executive decision. Even though they have been done in anime form, they are decidedly Western characters in origin and thus, IMO, go against the spirit of the tournament. If people provide really convincing arguments that they should be included anyway, then I will reinstate them.

Anime adaptations of non Japanese stories aren't allowed? Sorry, didn't realise. Does this rule out Dragon Ball and so on?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 28