• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, December 4-10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
If someone wants to call out an individual poster for something they said that's one thing but to lump individual posters with a group as in "One Piece fans" are elitists well you know what that's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

If One Piece fans want to be happy that the series sells so well in Japan and is doing better in the US then what's the big deal? Just like it's not a big deal if Naruto fans want to be happy about their series success in the US. There both groups have something to be happy about.

Then do so without putting down other series. Simple as that. If you want people to stop saying that about the fanbase, then set a better example rather than saying those things to be spiteful. Not even 5 posts in did we get...

Keiichi-chan wrote:
how was my original comment inflammatory any way?

Your very first post was saying the American community is developing "better taste". Your second was "mindlessly derivative, dbz clones". Both instances were nothing more than simple flamebait. You then go on to try to downplay it by telling other people to "stop complaining" and "just a joke" and "grow up" and so forth after being called out on it (yet you yourself have no problem complaining when other people say things bad about a series you like, I would like to point out)
zerochitentoppakai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
bought Ao no Exorcist volume 5 yesterday. I liked it, except for some of the translations, like Exwire.

TitanXL wrote:
You're basically justifying the attitude by asserting your opinion as fact, and saying it's okay to act that way, and it deserves to be the top.

seriously, WTF?!

I just said the reason why there are One Piece "elitists". I did not say that it's okay to be "elitist". Learn some reading comprehension, will you?

I really don't see why all these One Piece haters go down on our throats every single time we rejoice the fact that One Piece is doing extremely well. Sure, there might be one or two idiots that start bashing, but those people are better off ignored.

It's like these haters just come into these threads to stereotype every One Piece fan and call them "elitists". And if you jump onto a thread and try to defend One Piece, since it eventually goes onto bashing the series, they'll lump you into the same category.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Mike Hazama wrote:

This has nothing to do with the series, you're just explaining his backstory. Confused He's just yet another throwaway villain.

What?
He's a character in the series, and his backstory is a part of the series, no matter how miniscule or insignificant you think it might be.
His backstory is related to Otohime and Tiger, two of the most influential people of the Fishman/Merfolk race, who are also tied with a hate, discriminative nature toward humans and vice versa.
And let's not forget, "posessing Arlong's will".
Quote:

So you agree you have no way of knowing who the next arc villain will be? Or the one after that? Because there's no real structure to the story and the next arc will probably revolve around a completely new throwaway villain who may or may not show up again 10 years from now? You can't bank on 'they may show up again 10 years from now'.

Do you have any way of knowing whether or not the next arc villain will be a throwaway villain? Rolling Eyes
How does a story not have structure if new antagonists are occasionally introduced and fleshed out?
A throwaway villain doesn't have any effect or purpose to the story whatsoever, appears only in their respective arc, and is never mentioned again in any part of the story prior to that arc.
Yet there have been multiple enemies that have played a part in many of One Piece's subplots:

Buggy - spoiler[Former member of Gol D. Roger's crew, and former comrade to Shanks, one of the Yonkou. Involved in the escape from Impel Down and the Marineford war. Has been a recurring character for a long time.]
    Crocodile - spoiler[A former Warlord, whose defeat lead to a shift in the the three great powers of the world. Witnessed Roger's execution. Has a past with Whitebeard and Ivankov. Involved in the escape from Impel Down and the Marineford war.]
    Arlong - spoiler[Former member of the Sun Pirates, former comrade to Jinbei and Fisher Tiger. Main cause for the rise of prejudice in the Fishman District on Fishman Island.]
    Moriah - spoiler[Former Warlord. defeated by Kaidou, one of the Yonkou. Was targeted for assassination by the World Government. Witnessed Roger's execution. Currently on the run.]

Plus, I've already explained that the main antagonists of the series have already been set up.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Then do so without putting down other series. Simple as that. If you want people to stop saying that about the fanbase, then set a better example rather than saying those things to be spiteful. Not even 5 posts in did we get...

And yet I didn't say anything bad about another series.

So basically what you are saying it is okay to lump all One Piece fans together and call them elitists because of what a few posters say on this thread. Okay right!

And as for that other comment about enjoying what your series does well that was for everyone not just for you!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Tastes aside, whoever states One Piece hasn't a real structure is a fool, or someone who didn't carefully read it until the end of its first half.

And now feel free to call me "elitist" if you wish. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4