• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Final Roster + Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
Description: A Japanese young man who wakes up from cryogenic sleep in a post-apocalyptic future where Earth is overran with the insect-like Blue.
Hero Qualifications: Waking up in a hellish future, Yuji has to quickly adjust to the new world he is living in for his own survival. While treated merely as cargo by the soldiers of Second Earth, Yuji strives to make himself an equal to the soldiers while retaining his morality on living. While the soldiers of Second Earth regard human civilians still on Earth as expendable, Yuji does what he can to protect them against the Blue and aiding the Second Earth soldiers. Yuji's resolve eventually affects Marlene by bringing her out of her cold, emotionless shell and changing her outlook on living.

Sakura Kinomoto, CardCaptor Sakura
Description: An energetic and cheerful 10-year old girl who accidentally unseals the 52 Clow Cards found within an old book she stumbles upon in her house basement. The Guardian of the cards, Keroberos, appoints her the task of retrieving and sealing the power of the Clow Cards.
Heroine Qualifications: Despite seeming naive, clueless, and clumsy, Sakura adapts to her new duty as a CardCaptor as she frequently has to protect her family and friends from the more sinister Clow Cards. She maintains a strong optimism throughout the trails and obstacles she endures throughout the series that test her magic and the bonds she has. This optimism, combined with her friendly personality, allow Sakura to make friends quite easily, even wearing down the tension that rivals have towards her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Here's a picture of Yugo Beppu, Yugo the Negotiator:
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I edited my Duck entry to eliminate the space, and I'll remember that for any more write-ups.

Here's Monkey D. Luffy. I'll find some pics later. (EDIT: Added pics)

Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece
Description: A good natured pirate who's ambition is to become the "Pirate King" by finding the legendary treasure left behind by the last Pirate King. Luffy sails in an ocean world full of the bizare and the unusual, gathering together a unique crew while fighting against other pirates and the corrupt World Government.
What makes him a hero: Luffy may be a pirate, but that doesn't make him a villian. In fact, he spends far more time helping people than he does performing any pirate-like acts, and he usually does a far better job protecting people than the often corrupt marines. Luffy is honest, brave, and pure-hearted, and he has a great devotion to his friends and comrades. To protect them or right an injustice, he will not hesitate to risk his life and throw himself into seemingly hopeless situations. His actions and character have earned him the respect of numerous people, from poor commoners to princesses to even some of the marines obligated to hunt him down.

Pics, number one, two, and three.

Unfortunately, among the rest Key listed, there's little I can do. I can potentially do Claus Valca, Roger Smith, and Kiba, but it's been a while since I've seen any of their respective series, so it would probably be better for someone else. I'll see if I can put something together if it starts getting too close to the tournament start and nothing has been written, though.

(Edited to ad pics and fix a mistake in the write-up.)

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
Description: A large, mechanical samurai, he is one of the seven hired by peasants to protect their village from the bandits.
Why he is a hero: When Kikuchiyo is first approached by Komachi, the young girl, he quickly and eagerly accepts that task of helping the village, and also becomes fast friends with the girl. Of the seven samurai, Kikuchiyo is probably the one most enthusiastic about helping the peasants, though he may be at times clumsy and tactless in his methods about doing so. However, he is always ready to rush into action to protect others.

I can do ones for Shaoran and Lafiel, but they won't by very strong. I'll also look into converting some of the nominations other people made into formal write-ups.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Here's a picture of Jane Buxton I came across. Since I'm not familiar with the anime though, I'm afraid I can't provide a profile of Jane's character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I found a picture of Leo (from Jungle Emperor Leo) that you can hook up with the profile that I provided for him.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Mini-game submissions from Mad_Scientist and Aylinn bring participation to 15.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
For all of these, I got the "Why s/he is a hero" from the initial nomination.

Nanoha Takamichi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Description: A sweet third grade girl who becomes a magical girl after rescuing a ferret that is actually a mage from outer space.
Why she is a hero: Some degree of heroism is generally required to take on the mantle of a magical girl who fights evil or corrects catastrophes arising from magical artifacts, and it is usual for such a character to be empathetic and nice, often forgiving of her enemies. Nanoha improves upon the minimum requirements and stereotypes by far. In contrast to the unwilling--or, if willing, irresponsible--magical girl, she is an earnest, hard-working individual who recognizes the impact of her actions--or lack thereof--and pushes herself to improve to prevent others from being hurt because of her failings. Episode 3 of the first season perfectly illustrates her commitment and maturity. The result might be jarring in a 9 year old, but what we have is certainly a heroic girl.
Description by Dorcas_Aurelia. Justification by BES Null Core.

Someone who has seen the series, please write a description that doesn't sound this lame. If it's someone besides Null Core, remember to leave appropriate credit for the justification.

Claus Valca, Last Exile
Description: A young civillian vanship pilot who gets dragged into a war.
Why he is a hero: Claus is suddenly thrust into dangerous situations, but because he believes in what he's doing he doesn't back down in the face of adversity, and he seeks to protect the people close to him.

Someone else can feel free to submit a better version of this, as it has been a while (5 years, I believe) since I've seen the show.

Samatarou Kamiyama, Kamisama Kazoku
Description: A god living on Earth studying humanity to be a better deity when he succeeds his father. He displays some supernatural abilities, but does not seem to full control over his powers.
Why he is a hero: Samatarou is one of the good guys, and he's quite set in his mind about it, to the extent that nothing is more important to him than that. I hesitate to offer spoilers in a nomination, but... he does go all the way, in terms of heroic determination.
Description from Wikipedia. Justification by abunai.

Yajima Kintaro, Salaryman Kintaro
Description: The protagonist of the series, a high school dropout and former Bōsōzoku who retired to become a fisherman, but after he saved Morinosuke Yamato he was offered a job at Yamato Construction in the sales department.
Why he is a hero: A real man among men, Kintaro goes from being the leader of a bike gang to being a highly unorthodox salaryman. With his talent for thinking outside the box, and his deep commitment to seeing that everybody gets their just desserts, he is not above putting himself in physical danger. Plus, he's a good father to his child.
Description from Wikipedia. Justification by abunai.

Relena Peacecraft, Gundam Wing
Description: First introduced as the daughter of the Alliance's vice foreign minister who reveals at his death that she is the heiress to the Sanc Kingdom.
Why she is a hero: She matures nicely from a pampered brat into a strong pacifist and tries her hardest to spread her beliefs. Of course much of the time she's helpless against the political/millitary situations around but in her own way she manages to trun some things around to her advantage (eg the founding of the World Nation) and she never gives up. What she has managed to achieve in the GW universe is commendable, I think, as a 15-year-old who's not involved with the military at all. It may seem hypocritical that she could not protect Sank Kingdom without force but characters like Vash were forced to use arms to protect themsleves from time to time.
Description summarized from Wikipedia. Justification by nightmaregenie.

Sorry if anyone considers the description a spoiler, I don't know, I haven't watched the show. If you can do it better, remember to credit nightmaregenie if you copy the justification.

Yuko "Yasako" Okonagi, Denno Coi
Description: A young girl who just moved to a town where special glasses allow one to interact with a virtual world that overlaps the physical one.
Why she is a hero: She's weak and she's frightened, she's indecisive and she's apparently set up to be the victim, the damsel in distress that all the other, more forceful, characters have to rescue. Yet, when the chips are down, she's the one who fearlessly does what needs to be done.
Description by Dorcas_Aurelia. Justification by abunai.

Abe no Masahiro, Shonen Onmyouji
Description: Masahiro is an onmyōji in training and the grandson of the legendary Abe no Seimei. When he was young, his spiritual sight was so strong that Seimei temporarily sealed it away until he was old enough to properly use it. After meeting Mokkun, Masahiro regained his spirit sight and embraced his destiny as an onmyōji in service to the emperor.
Why he is a hero: Here's a kid who's tired of everyone comparing him to his grandfather, Abe no Seimei, and does his best to carve his own legacy. He works hard day and night to protect the ones that he loves but also the Emperor, the Emperor's family and Japan.
Description from Wikipedia. Justification by LydiaDianne.

Goh Saruwatari, Godannar!
Description: A giant robot pilot who battles the Mimetic Beasts that invade Earth.
Why he is a hero: While the show may be a giant fanservice throwback to 80's mecha shows Goh is the epitome of the manly mecha hero pilot. He fights for Earth's survival against alien forces and even has tons of might heroic manly screaming moments lol. He won't go far but he does I think deserve to at leats make it in to the first round.
Description by Dorcas_Aurelia. Justification by Psycho 101.

Van Fanel, Vision of Escaflowne
Description: The young king of Fanelia who tries to protect it from the invading forces of Dornkirk's country, Zaibach. He uses the guymelef (mech/robot dragon thing) to fight his enemies.
Why he is a hero: Yeah, he's got a fire for honor and righteous conduct that surpasses even his feelings for Hitomi (which are pretty strong, as it turns out.) In fact, he's so devoted to taking down the bad guys, he acts rashly and in ways that would surely endanger his life. If his kingdom hadn't been destroyed, he'd be an excellent king, despite what he seems to think about it.
Description by Dorcas_Aurelia. Justification by JesuOtaku.

Again, this is a series I haven't seen in about 5 years, someone else feel free to rewrite the description.

Key, you should probably send Lydia or Psycho a pm to get a write-up for Kamui. For Kiba, try JO, marie, or Sentire. If you didn't think the entries for Roger Smith and Jessica Edwards were good enough, you may want to pm the ones who wrote them about what you'd like them to improve.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll polish off my nominations. D_A, the write-up for Van is good, so I don't feel like messing with it.

Kiba, Wolf's Rain
Description: Kiba is the "chosen wolf" meant to open Paradise upon the apocalyptic world of the story. He's strong, stoic, and diplomatic.
Why he is a hero: Kiba can't bear the thought of living his life for no purpose. Through snowstorms and legions of soldiers he fights to protect Cheza and his ragtag pack and reach the entrance to Paradise. This duty to the pride of his people and the preservation of the world's future is all that keeps him going, and he will only stop questing for this noble goal if he no longer has breath in his body.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Jane Buxton, Secrets of Cerulean Sand

Description: The only daughter of a noble English family, Jane sets out to discover what happened to her older brother after he goes missing and is presumed dead.

Why she is a hero: Jane is the type of hero who helps everyone along her way without seeking any personal reward for her efforts, beyond seeing them happy. These good deeds help her continue her search for her brother (and actually lead to her finding both brothers, as it becomes clear early on that her step-brother William is Harry Killer).

She isn't a saint and does react to the tragedy around her, but Jane keeps going on and it is her love for all people that eventually helps her reach her goal.

Edit: Mini-game entry sent! Let's see how far my mostly random guesses get me this time Razz
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Claus Valca, Last Exile
Description: A young civillian vanship pilot who gets dragged into a war.
Why he is a hero: Claus is suddenly thrust into dangerous situations, but because he believes in what he's doing he doesn't back down in the face of adversity, and he seeks to protect the people close to him.

Someone else can feel free to submit a better version of this, as it has been a while (5 years, I believe) since I've seen the show.

I've seen it a bit more recently than that, let's see what I can come up with.

Claus Valca, Last Exile
Description: A young civilian courier pilot who flys a "vanship", basically a small wingless airplane, in a steampunk inspired world setting. The world he lives in is in the midst of war between two rival factions, while a mysterious group called the Guild watches over all, and a warship know as the Silvana acts for its own, unknown purposes.
Why he is a hero: Even early on in the series, Claus shows a surprising amount of bravery, as he risks getting killed in order to deliver a girl's message to her father. Shortly afterwards, a complete stranger suddenly tasks Claus with a mission to safely deliver a certain girl to the Silvana. Though under no real obligation to do so, Claus braves extreme danger as he attempts to fufill the stranger's request and protect the girl. Later thrust into the middle of the war, Claus is nonetheless presented with several chances to simply walk away and return to his peaceful life, having already done all he promised to. But he doesn't walk away, and instead does his best to protect those around him, even as he finds himself dealing with adversity and situations he doesn't fully understand.

Still not maybe the best, but it ads a bit more detail.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
On second thought, I won't be able to do a write-up for Lafiel. I've only seen the first series, and I'm having trouble making it particularly convincing.

Shaoran Li, Cardcaptor Sakura
Description: A young boy and descendant of Clow Reed, he travels to Japan to recover the Clow cards after they have been scattered and intends to reclaim the family heirloom.
Why he is a hero: Quite stubborn and initially a rival to Sakura, he is very serious about gathering the Clow cards in order to prevent the chaos they might spread and restore to his family what he feels is rightfully theirs. As the series progresses, he becomes more friendly towards Sakura and uses his magic and skills to support her instead of trying to collect the cards himself, realizing that she is the better choice to control the cards.

Kamina, Gurren Lagann (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Description: A brash young man who believes, despite the village leader saying otherwise, that a surface world exists above their subterranean village. When he reaches it and finds the humans that live there are terrorized by beastmen, he joins them in fighting.
Why he is a hero: Kamina is the heart and soul, the driving force of Gurren Lagann. He dreams big, talks big, and acts big. His bravado inspires others to action and raises their spirits. He is the example the Simon tries to follow and motivates his "little brother" to not give up no matter what.
While he may be insanely reckless, Kamina's audacity allows him to devise ground breaking advances in the human's resistance against the beastmen. It is his spontaneous decision to capture and pilot a Gunmen that marks a turning point in the human/beastman war and, after other humans imitate Kamina hearing of his success, allows the humans to go on the offensive. Kamina never willingly backs down from his enemies and demonstrates great bravery against much larger foes in spite of near certain death.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, almost at the deadline for group A, and we're still missing Lafiel. I've never seen the series, but taking a cue from Dorcas_Aurelia, I've used LydiaDianne's nomination, the magic of wikipedia, and JesuOtaku's vote against her, and have come up with something that is better than nothing, I guess. Someone else who's actually seen the show, please try and write something better if you have the chance.

Lafiel, Crest/Banner of the Stars
Description: A young princess of the "abh", an alien race that exists in the series' complicated sci-fi universe, she befriends the series' other main protaganist, Jinto Linn.
Why she is a hero: Though she is raised to be a ruler, she is untried in command. But she proves to be confidant and strong, and does her best to protect those who are under her command and defend the empire.

(fixed typo)
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Do you guys need a picture for every entry?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Do you guys need a picture for every entry?

It is preferred. After all, it is difficult to vote for a character you whose face you don't even know. But just as importantly, if a character lacks a picture then people might (understandably) think that the person who nominated that character didn't really care about them, and was just throwing their name out there. Would you vote for a character who was nominated only half-heartedly?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 33